• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can you cook brown rice in a rice cooker?

In summary, my roomate bought some brown rice and we're both shocked by the cooking directions. The directions say 45 minutes, but the rice was not cooked at all by the time it was done in the microwave.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
My roomate bought some brown rice and we're both shocked by the cooking directions. 45 minutes? Say it ain't so?

Has anybody tried the rice cooker for brown rice? I know it can be a little tricky but I really want to try this ...

I use Uncle Ben's brown rice all the time in the Rice Cooker with no problems.
2 cups of water to one cup of rice then follow directions that come with the RCP.
Sometimes I use chicken broth instead of water. I also like to add about a tbsp of olive oil for flavor and it helps to make it fluffier. Depending on microwave wattage you may have to get a little extra cooking time.
I also make spanish rice (with brown rice) in the RCP.

yes, brown rice takes that long, even in the rice cooker

There are different kinds of brown rice and I've started to get either the Instant Brown Rice or the Boil in a Bag brown rice. The instant of course I'd use in the rice cooker. Both kinds take much less time.

I did the Uncle Bens kind. Found it rather pricey, however. Over $3 for a box that makes (what they call) 8 servings. So two meals?We still have a box of the non-instant kind and the boil in bag kind.I saw in one of the old threads that it's 5 min on high and 35 on low ....

I make brown rice in my electric rice cooker all the time - 20 mins like the white rice. Only difference is that you add 1 more cup of water to it. I buy it in a bag - not Uncle Bens in a box. I just follow the directions for my rice cooker. I'm not sure about the PC rice cooker - I like my electric one, so I haven't bought ours.

Follow the directions on the package for cooking it in the microwave. Most bags/boxes of rice have microwave directions now.I make brown rice all the time in my RCP. And I use the store brand bagged plain brown rice. It's one part rice, 2 parts water (1 cup rice, 2 cups water, for example); 5 min. on high, then 40 min. on med. Unless you're using par-cooked rice (which is what Minute Rice is), that's just how long brown rice takes. Cooking rice in the microwave doesn't speed it up vs. stovetop cooking because of what one is actually trying to accomplish when cooking grains. Grains need to cook in simmering liquid for a specific amount of time to reach doneness. Microwave ovens cook food by making the water molecules agitate, which creates heat. The food still needs to get to a designated internal temperature to be considered cooked. And it that food doesn't have much water inside it (like raw grains), then cooking it in a microwave won't speed it up. The cook time for grains is what's needed for the cell structure to break down enough for the water to permeate the grain. That's also why brown rice takes longer to cook that white. Brown rice still has the bran coating, which acts like a raincoat, preventing water from entering the grain. It takes a while for that coating to break down enough for the water to start to enter.

And, that's why we call her the Ms. Wizard of the Kitchen. :)

:cry:Oh my God! Tonight I decided to use my rice cooker to make some brown rice. Right from the start I will admit that I had no directions on what to do. I poured 1/2 cup of brown rice in the cooker and added 1 cup of water. I set the time for 11 minutes. When I pulled it out the rice was not cooked so I decided to put the rice cooker back in the microwave for 10 more minutes. Well, that was a BIG MISTAKE!!! Suddenly I started to smell something burning. I just had time to look over and see smoke pouring out of the microwave and reaching the ceiling. I opened the door to the mic and discovered a gooy black mess spreading on the glass plate. The bottom of the rice cooker was melting before my eyes and the rice was black and smoldering. I quickly pulled everything out and threw the whole mess into the garbage. Now I still have a problem... the smell will not leave my house! This happened 3 hours ago and the air is still thick with a chemical stench. Here is my question: do you think that burning the rice cooker like this sent out toxic fumes into my house? I am really upset over the lose of my rice cooker, but more concerned that I may have poisoned my family.:yuck:

I'm sure your family will be fine. What a horrible thing to have to deal with.

Why would the rice cooker melt and burn like that? I had a customer give me hers that did the same thing. I sent it back to the product people, but never heard back. I would love to hear your theories.

I had a rice cooker melt like that. In my case, I think my microwave didn't register that I had lowered the power after the initial 5 minutes on high, and it was continuing to cook on high. (My microwave is from 1977, and has a slider for the cook power.) Just because something is microwave safe doesn't mean it won't melt. :rolleyes:When mine melted, it was also with a small batch of rice in it. So there was a very small amount of hot food in it. That, in effect, concentrates the heat.FYI- dishes and things get hot in the microwave not because they are reacting to the waves, but from the heat of the food in/on them. Having a small portion of food in the rice cooker, with the microwave on high, superheats the food (yes, you can superboil water in the microwave. Mythbusters did it, and it's a fairly common occurrence, and one of the most common microwave-related causes of burns). That food in turn passes heat to the rice cooker. Because the cooker isn't rated to really high temps, it melts.

When using the Rice Cooker, you HAVE to turn it down to 50% power after the first 5-10 mins.

Thanks for all the valuable info regarding the rice cooker. If I have a future order for one I will be sure to tell my customer what I have learned here.

cakepampered said:
:cry:Oh my God! Tonight I decided to use my rice cooker to make some brown rice. Right from the start I will admit that I had no directions on what to do. I poured 1/2 cup of brown rice in the cooker and added 1 cup of water. I set the time for 11 minutes. When I pulled it out the rice was not cooked so I decided to put the rice cooker back in the microwave for 10 more minutes. Well, that was a BIG MISTAKE!!! Suddenly I started to smell something burning. I just had time to look over and see smoke pouring out of the microwave and reaching the ceiling. I opened the door to the mic and discovered a gooy black mess spreading on the glass plate. The bottom of the rice cooker was melting before my eyes and the rice was black and smoldering. I quickly pulled everything out and threw the whole mess into the garbage. Now I still have a problem... the smell will not leave my house! This happened 3 hours ago and the air is still thick with a chemical stench. Here is my question: do you think that burning the rice cooker like this sent out toxic fumes into my house? I am really upset over the lose of my rice cooker, but more concerned that I may have poisoned my family.:yuck:

Same exact thing happened to me. It was the first time I tried to cook brown rice in it. I'd cooked the occasional rice cooker cake (when forced to by a host who was demanding it) and also had made chicken soup in it, but never rice.

My house stank for several days. I threw out the ruined rice cooker, and have never missed it. I'm fine with making rice on the stove. Works great for me.:thumbup:

I'd also process an adjustment on the rice cooker. Online, not on the phone, so you don't have to explain what happened!

Di_Can_Cook said:
I'd also process an adjustment on the rice cooker. Online, not on the phone, so you don't have to explain what happened!

I'd had mine for too long. And I really didn't want another one - I only have so much cupboard space, and it was taking up valuable real estate!

I use my Rice Cooker all the time for brown rice and love it! I buy regular brown rice and measure 1 part rice to 2 parts water, cook on high for 8 minutes and then 20 minutes at half power. I have never had a bad batch yet.

Since I got a new microwave oven (1300 watts) I just can't get the hang of cooking rice in it. I now only use my RCP for the Molten Lava Cake.

For Christmas, DH bought me an electric rice cooker like the kind you see at the Chinese Buffets. Works great, makes a ton of rice, and it keeps it warm for 18 hours (!). Not that I would keep it warm for that long, but I can put it on when I start cooking dinner and the rice is ready and waiting whenever dinner is ready.

I always use the brown minute rice in my rice cooker. Turns out great every time. This is minute rice. Not sure I'd have the patience for 45 minute rice, especially since it's usually about 10 minutes before dinner is done when I remember we were supposed to have rice with it! ;)

I like making rice on the stove too! Nothing like it. By the way, the smokey smell is still lingering when I open up my cabinet doors. I am so glad that I did not walk away from the microwave oven, I am certain that there would have been a fire.

1. How much water should I use when cooking brown rice in the rice cooker?

The general rule for cooking brown rice in a rice cooker is to use 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. However, this may vary depending on the type and brand of rice cooker you have. It's always best to consult the instruction manual for specific water measurements.

2. Can I use the same setting for brown rice as I do for white rice in the rice cooker?

No, brown rice requires a longer cooking time and more water than white rice. Most rice cookers have a specific setting for brown rice, so it's important to use this setting for optimal results.

3. How long does it take to cook brown rice in a rice cooker?

The average cooking time for brown rice in a rice cooker is around 45 minutes. However, this may vary depending on the brand and type of rice cooker you have. It's best to check the instruction manual for specific cooking times.

4. Can I add seasoning or other ingredients to my brown rice when cooking it in the rice cooker?

Yes, you can add seasoning or other ingredients to your brown rice before cooking it in the rice cooker. Just make sure to adjust the amount of water accordingly and mix the ingredients well before starting the cooking process.

5. How do I prevent my brown rice from sticking to the bottom of the rice cooker?

To prevent your brown rice from sticking to the bottom of the rice cooker, make sure to rinse the rice well before cooking it. You can also add a small amount of oil or butter to the rice and water mixture before cooking. Additionally, avoid stirring the rice during the cooking process to prevent it from becoming sticky.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefgirlrd
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
Replies
Views
Staci