• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I cook brown rice and pasta in my new rice cooker?

In summary, you can use a rice cooker to make brown rice and many rice cookers have a specific setting for it. The general rule for cooking brown rice in a rice cooker is to use 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice, but it may vary depending on the type of rice and desired tenderness. Brown rice takes about 40-45 minutes to cook in a rice cooker, but this may vary. You do not need to soak brown rice before cooking it in a rice cooker. To clean a rice cooker after cooking brown rice, unplug and let it cool down before washing the inner pot and accessories with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge.
Yakmama
I just got the rice cooker today and was wondering if I can cook brown rice in it? We only eat brown at home. I was looking on my bag of brown rice and there were no microwave directions.

Also, can I cook pasta in it?

I make brown rice in mine a lot!! I've also made the microwave cake too!! I'm at work right now but if you want to give me your e-mail I can send you the recipes I have for it when I get home tonight.

thanks- I PMed it to you!

I do brown rice in my rice cooker all the time. Rice and water, microwave on high for 5 minutes, then on medium for 40 minutes.

chefann said:
I do brown rice in my rice cooker all the time.

Rice and water, microwave on high for 5 minutes, then on medium for 40 minutes.

Ooh, I am going to try this. Do you use the same proportions of water to rice? I had gotten instructions from Home Office that were a little different than this and wasn't that please with the results.
What is the texture of the rice when it is done?

I use 2 times the water as rice (2 cups water, 1 cup rice, for example). It's good - chewy and nutty. Although one time my microwave didn't go down to medium - the slider apparently didn't activate (my micro is over 30 years old, and has knobs and sliders instead of buttons). When I took it out, I had a toasty rice cake in the bottom of the cooker.I do toss in a pinch of salt. And sometimes I use chicken broth instead of water, for extra flavor.

1. Can I use a rice cooker to make brown rice?

Yes, you can use a rice cooker to make brown rice. In fact, many rice cookers have a specific setting for brown rice.

2. How much water should I use when cooking brown rice in a rice cooker?

The general rule for cooking brown rice in a rice cooker is to use 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. However, you may need to adjust the amount of water depending on the type of brown rice and your preferred level of tenderness.

3. How long does it take to cook brown rice in a rice cooker?

On average, brown rice takes about 40-45 minutes to cook in a rice cooker. However, the exact cooking time may vary depending on the amount of rice, type of rice cooker, and desired level of doneness.

4. Do I need to soak brown rice before cooking it in a rice cooker?

No, you do not need to soak brown rice before cooking it in a rice cooker. Unlike other types of rice, brown rice does not require soaking and can be cooked directly in a rice cooker.

5. What is the best way to clean a rice cooker after cooking brown rice?

The best way to clean a rice cooker after cooking brown rice is to unplug it and let it cool down before removing the inner pot. Wash the inner pot and any accessories with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Rinse and dry thoroughly before reassembling the rice cooker.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• freetofly06
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pjpamchef
  • minirottie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
purpleluvs3
  • Senkimekia