• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Brown Rice in Rice Cooker?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of cooking brown rice and shares tips and ratios for achieving the perfect texture and consistency. The suggested formula is 1 cup of brown rice to 2 1/2 cups of water, cooked on high for 5 minutes and then on low for 30 minutes, with a 10 minute rest before fluffing. The use of a specific rice cooker for brown rice is also suggested. The conversation ends with encouragement and well wishes for incorporating whole grains into a healthier diet.
braveslady
Hey all,

I love the rice cooker for perfect white rice, but has anyone figured out the magic formula for brown rice?? I never seem to have enough water, or don't cook it long enough.. What is the ratio of water to rice, how long on high and how long on low?? Thanks a bunch - my hubby has been put on a low-carb diet, so I'm trying to switch to whole grains :rolleyes:

Marina

I think for every 1 cup I use I add 2 cups of water and it takes awhile with brown rice. I think I cook it for 35 min but it could be the brand I use too??

On the stove brown rice is 2 cups water to one cup rice for 50-60 minutes. I've never tried it in the microwave but I would stick with the proportions of rice to water.

I have cooked brown rice in mine twice now. The first time it came out perfect, the second too dry. Try to add a little more water, but keep the ratios the same as for white. 2 cups water per 1 cup rice. I think also, the first time I made 2 cups of rice and the second only 1. Only cook for 30 min then take it out and check on it. Good luck!!:D

, I completely understand your struggle with cooking brown rice! It can be tricky to get the perfect texture and consistency. After some trial and error, here's the formula that has worked for me:

1 cup of brown rice to 2 1/2 cups of water. Cook on high for 5 minutes, then switch to low for 30 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork. This usually gives me perfectly cooked brown rice every time.

Also, have you tried using the Pampered Chef rice cooker for brown rice? It has a specific setting for brown rice and takes the guesswork out of cooking it. I highly recommend giving it a try.

I hope this helps and good luck with your husband's low-carb diet! Whole grains are a great option for a healthier lifestyle. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy cooking!

What is the recommended rice-to-water ratio for cooking brown rice in a rice cooker?

The recommended ratio is 1 cup of brown rice to 2 cups of water. However, you can adjust the amount of water based on your preference for softer or firmer rice.

Can I add seasoning or broth to the rice cooker when cooking brown rice?

Yes, you can add seasoning or broth to the rice cooker when cooking brown rice. This can add flavor to the rice and enhance the overall dish. Just make sure to adjust the amount of water accordingly to account for the added liquid.

How long does it take to cook brown rice in a rice cooker?

On average, it takes about 45 minutes to cook brown rice in a rice cooker. However, the cooking time may vary depending on the specific rice cooker and the amount of rice being cooked.

Can I use the rice cooker to keep brown rice warm after it's cooked?

Yes, most rice cookers have a "keep warm" function that can be used to keep the brown rice warm after it's cooked. Just make sure to fluff the rice with a fork before serving to prevent it from becoming too sticky.

Is it necessary to rinse brown rice before cooking it in a rice cooker?

Yes, it is recommended to rinse brown rice before cooking it in a rice cooker. This will help remove any excess starch and debris, resulting in fluffier and more evenly cooked rice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefgirlrd
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cakepampered
  • heat123