• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Bread Tag Color Indicate Freshness? A Regional Thing or Baking Day?

In summary, the colors of bagged bread are Blue, Green, Red, and White. The colors of hot dog buns, hamburger buns, and sandwich buns are Blue, Green, Yellow, and White.
scottcooks
Gold Member
Regarding color codes on bagged bread, hot dog buns, hamburger buns...Does anyone know if this is right:Monday, the tag color is BLUETuesday, the tag color is GREENThursday, the tag color is REDFriday, the tag color is WHITESaturday, the tag color is YELLOWthat this is the day they are baked, or is it a regional thing?

Last edited:
My first thought would be that something like that would be a store-by-store system. As in each store assigns different days to their stickers. I would ask the bakery...

I'm thinking it might be broader than that though, because there's all different brands and it's the brand's twisties or plastic clip thingies that are the different colors, not the store sticker.

Wow - really?

Where have I been? I've never heard of this! I'm checking the bread more closely on shopping day!

babywings76 said:
I'm thinking it might be broader than that though, because there's all different brands and it's the brand's twisties or plastic clip thingies that are the different colors, not the store sticker.

I must have been under a rock too, I never noticed the twisties are different colors!

I had never realized this till a couple years ago, and now I can't for the life of me remember where I learned it. I wish I could remember what day was what color. I'll try to google it and let you know what I find out. :)

Just found a few articles about it and this was the deal:Monday, the tag color is BLUETuesday, the tag color is GREENThursday, the tag color is REDFriday, the tag color is WHITESaturday, the tag color is YELLOW

Wait, so does that mean there's no Wednesday???!! Let me look into this a little more...

Here's another article:Fresh bread is delivered to grocery stores five days a week. You can quickly determine the day the bread was delivered by the color of the plastic twist on the bread packaging. A blue twist means the bread was delivered on Monday, a green twist means Tuesday, a red twist means Thursday, a white twist means Friday and a yellow twist means Saturday. Bread is generally not delivered on Wednesdays or Sundays. So, if you go to the store on Friday and see bread packaged with a yellow twist it means that loaf was delivered last Saturday and is almost a week old!

I have never heard of this either very interesting. Just bought bread today (Monday). Yay! has a blue tie so mine was delivered the same day. You learn something new everyday.

At our local grocery store, if you look on the wall behind the bread, they have a sheet telling you which day each color was delivered.

Very cool! Can't wait to go bread shopping again! Thanks for the info!

Great thread! I never knew this.

I HATE to buy bread/rolls that don't have a date on them - there is only 2 of us and it takes time to go through 8 rolls at our house. And if the bag has no date on it then I have no idea how old they are before I even get them home!

Just this past weekend my normal rolls were out so I had to buy others that had no date. Just last night DH asked what the date on the rolls were - and I showed him the white tag with 0-0-0 on it and told him "no date". Well, atleast now I know they were from Friday!!

I knew this (my dad used to deliver bread for Mrs. Baird's back in the early 70's), but I never can remember the colors.

Also - sometimes I get brown ones.........what does that mean?????

Twisties? In my home the first person to open the bread is usually too lazy to put the twistie back on..they give the wrapper a spin and tuck it back under the loaf when they put it away. I had a friend once who asked me to save the twisties for some craft she was doing and my dh about dissolved on the floor with laughter.

I've heard this tip before. A great tip is that the colors go alpabetically through the week: Blue, Green, Red, Yellow, White. So if you cannot remember which day goes with which color at least you can look at the various colors and determine which is the freshest.

wadesgirl said:
I've heard this tip before. A great tip is that the colors go alpabetically through the week: Blue, Green, Red, Yellow, White. So if you cannot remember which day goes with which color at least you can look at the various colors and determine which is the freshest.

I might can remember that tip.....

Except that "W" comes before "Y" in the alphabet. ;) :D :blushing:

babywings76 said:
Except that "W" comes before "Y" in the alphabet. ;) :D :blushing:

Monday, the tag color is BLUE

Tuesday, the tag color is GREEN

Thursday, the tag color is RED

Friday, the tag color is WHITE

Saturday, the tag color is YELLOW

The original post was wrong, this is the other information taht was posted.

wadesgirl said:

:blushing: I was the one who posted the follow up info on the dates. I just was pointing out that you had it switched in your post. I was just meaning to tease, but also to clarify. :) :angel:

Also if you get the bread from the bottom of the shelf that is usually the freshes. Because when people grab things they grab at eye level.

I'll go back and change the original... sorry for the misinformation!

I redid the original; hope it'snot too confusing

so what about an orange tag??? i got an orange one when i bought bread last.

it could be a holiday tag, but there havent been any holidays lately

ORANGE?
TAN?Anyone have some ideas?I know a friend who works for an industrial bakery - I'll ask him.

Someone I knew who worked in a grocery store told me that when the bread deliveries come, they have a "rotation" system that all the delivery people follow - they push the older bread to the right and stack the newer bread to the left. I always pull from the left. LOL

I used to be a manager with Harris Teeter, and on times when I did the vending/receiving on Sat. morning with the bread vendors, there in fact is truth the color and a system.but not sure on how regional, or not it is..

this is actually right on all the bread co. use it i actually have a friend who works for stroehmann and told me about this!!!!!:thumbup:

very sad i just got home from the store and my bread was deliverd last thursday and last friday...very sad oh well luckily it will be gone by tomorrow! its french toast night at our house yum

1. What do the different bread tag colors indicate?

The different bread tag colors indicate the day of the week that the bread was baked. This is a common system used by bakeries to ensure freshness and quality of the bread.

2. Is there a universal system for bread tag colors or does it vary by region or bakery?

While the color code system is commonly used, it may vary slightly by region or bakery. It is always best to check with the specific bakery or brand to confirm the color code system.

3. Why are different colors used for each day of the week?

The different colors help the bakery and consumers easily identify how fresh the bread is. This helps to ensure that consumers are getting the freshest bread possible.

4. Are there any other factors besides color that indicate the freshness of bread?

In addition to color, the expiration date and "sell by" date on the bread packaging can also indicate the freshness of the bread. It is important to always check these dates before purchasing and consuming bread.

5. Is it safe to consume bread after the color-coded day?

While the color code system is a helpful guideline, it is always important to check the expiration date and the overall quality of the bread before consuming it. If the bread appears to be stale, moldy, or has an off odor, it is best to discard it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Angela Epps
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kitchenqueen
  • ChefJWarren
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • ChefBeckyD