• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Measuring for the Perfect Bra Fit: Victoria's Secret Guide

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion over how to properly measure for bra size. The Victoria's Secret website suggests measuring the band size by holding the tape measure around the back at band level and bringing it to the front, just above the bust. They also suggest measuring the bust by going around the fullest part at nipple level. However, some of the participants were unsure if this method was correct, and mentioned alternative methods they have used in the past. Some suggest going into a store to get professionally fitted, while others recommend certain brands that work well for them. The conversation ends with a humorous discussion about husbands and laundry.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I was just looking on the Victoria Secret site since I'm in need of some new bras. I've NEVER been happy with any bras I've bought and I've never bought any online so I thought I'd check out their measurement section before making my decision. Now I'm confused...

They state to measure your band size by 'Hold the tape measure around your back at band level. Then bring it to the front, just above your bust.

The resulting number is your band size. Hint: If the number is odd, round down to the closest even number.'

I always thought you measured your band size by measuring around your body where the band sits. Not up at that wierd angle. If this is correct, no wonder I was never happy with my bras - wrong size LOL

They also state for bust measurement to 'Measure completely around the fullest part of your bust (at nipple level). This is your bust measurement. if this measurement falls on the 1/2 inch, round up.'

I thought you were supposed to add 4 or something, or was it subtract. Shoot I had my notes from years ago SOMEWHERE....I know there was a calculation that involved other numbers....

Here are their final calculations...

CUP SIZE
Subtract the band size (step 1) from the
bust measurement (step 2). This number
equates to the letter of your cup size.

Bust Measurement - Band Size = Cup Size.

For example, if your bust measurement is
36" and your band size is 34, you wear a B Cup.

difference 0 inches = AA, 1 inch = A, 2 inches = B, 3 inches = C, 4 inches = D etc....

Does this sound right to you? Is this how you measure for YOUR bra size?

ummmmm.... I dunno!!! LOL I haven't found the right size yet! I think if you go into VS they will measure you and tell you what size you need.

I can't suggest strongly enough to get professionally fitted!! My husband gave me a gift certificate for a local shop where a woman has been fitting for years! She deals a lot with Breast Cancer survivors. Anyway, I went in wearing a 42 D, and came out with a 36 F, also suggested I use silicone pads that keep the straps in place. Love them!!!

I worked for Lane Bryant for 3 years and we always measured around the band line to get your band size. But I know that VS measures funny. I would suggest that you go into a store if you can to get a proper fitting. Believe it or not but it can be very different sizing between different makes of bras. but once you get a great fitting bra!!! It's the best feeling ever!!!! Good luck

Jodi, if your 'band' measurement is coming out at wierd angle you're definitely wearing the wrong size bra. Your band is sitting in the wrong place!

Wow! That is a big difference. Maybe the next time I'm out in the mall I'll stop in and see what they can do for me. I never thought about LB, they have great bras too!

Traci, I've been measured before, but I can't remember. When you measure for the cup size, is that with or without a bra. I'm very large up there, so they're not exactly 'perky' haha. Without a bra, they hang below the band line!

I went IN to VS and had THEM fit me, then I got 6 bra's (after two kids so close together - nursed them both, I only had nursing bra's, plus I swear my breasts were bigger than this before I started LOL). It was sooo worth it!! I love them!

Of course I scream bloody murder when my DH washes them with his JEANS - HELLO!!!
Ahem, sorry.

Hey!!! Atleast he's doing laundry! LOL That in itself can be a miracle!

how funny! my husband doesn't do laundry either! I found Olga Bras work great for if you have problems with the straps falling. I think the back straps are sewn a bit more into the center of the back.

good luck on your quest!

If you have Hanes/Bally store near you go there! VS never fit me right (the bras and even when they sized me I still came out with the wrong bra) and I'm a very average build/cup size...Hanes/Bally takes the time and you leave with the right bra...also a little less expensive.

I've always been measured around the band area (just below/under the breast) for the band size and then you measure across the fullest part and for every inch that is added onto the band size is a cup

i.e. 34" band

35" bust = A
36" bust = B

etc...

I need to find a place to go to get measured. I went to the Leggs/Hanes outlet that carries all the brands of bras and I went once hoping to bite the bullet and get measured. There were these 2 girls who were just college age girls and both of them gave me different measurements. They measured me over my clothes and acted scared and unsure with what they were doing. I need to go someplace with an experienced older woman who won't be embarrassed and will be confident in what she's telling me.I remember Oprah a few years ago, had an episode all about this. I can't remember what department store it was that she was recommending.

Sara"
Measure with a bra on. This will get you a starting point. But remember each bra manufacturer makes their bras a little different so ALWAYS try the style on before purchasing. And even the different styles within a manufacturer could fit differently. Just like each woman is different. lol

The band, while worn below the breasts and based on your body measurement there, is not a direct measurement. If you measure there, add 5" to get your band size. Otherwise, measure as the VS instructions indicate. (That's also how you should measure to get bust measurements for home sewing, and then adjust the pattern if you wear a cup larger than a B/C, since home patterns are sized for B/C sizes.)If, during wear, you find that your band usually rides up in the back, ending up on your shoulder blades, then you need to DECREASE the band size, and INCREASE the cup size that you purchase. This is the most common bra fit mistake that people make. The band should provide 90% of the support of the garment, so it should fit firmly against your skin (on the torso, not the breasts themselves) all the way around. If your band is too tight, however, that's when you'll end up with visible rolls above and below the band on your back. (We've all seen those in the summer when people wear thinner, clingy clothes.)

and why you are in VS to get measured pick up a bottle of their detergent
I use it on all my daughters & my clothes smells divine

I'm surprised that we haven't heard any snide remarks from any of the guys???

Now I am excited about going to get fit properly. I thought it was just me that couldn't find a totally comfortable bra fit correctly.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I'm surprised that we haven't heard any snide remarks from any of the guys???

Maybe this isn't their CUP of tea. LOL

One of the best things I ever did was get my bra professionally fitted. It made a huge difference in the way my clothes fit and how I felt after wearing a bra all day. Remember, too, that bras don't last forever. If you haven't bought a new on in a couple of years, it's probably time. If you've gained or lost much weight, make sure to be fitted again.

Aunticooks said:
I worked for Lane Bryant for 3 years and we always measured around the band line to get your band size. But I know that VS measures funny. I would suggest that you go into a store if you can to get a proper fitting. Believe it or not but it can be very different sizing between different makes of bras. but once you get a great fitting bra!!! It's the best feeling ever!!!! Good luck

VS does not measure like "normal" so don't plan on purchasing a bra their unless you get measured there. . .in turn, don't try to take those measurements to another store.

Have a professional fitting. Watch your newspaper for local bra fittings. Department stores (Penneys, Maceys and the like) usually post them in the newspaper. Or call and find out when the next fitting is scheduled.

Sears, JC Pennies, and Dillards will all fit you if you ask. VS and Lane Bryant will also fit you. My poor daughter is huge at the top...doesn't get that from me...and my mom suggested I take her to Dillards to be fitted. So, she went in wearing a 38D and came out wearing a 34G...didn't know they made bras in G size. The lady there says that most women do not wear the correct size. (I was also fitted and went down 2" around and up a cup size.) She was trained to do fittings and has to attend trainings every year. She also said that every bra brand/style is different so you might wear different cup sizes in different bras. So, you can't depend on the measurement from one store to always be correct at a different store.

She measured around the band area and then across the fullest part of the breast. She also measured with us fully dressed. She told us that you should always get a bra that fits snuggly when fastened on the first or middle clasp because bras tend to stretch really bad...which is why you should wash them in a mesh bag and never dry them...that way you can move to the last clasp as the bras stretch and you will get longer wear out of them.

I'm just waiting for KG to express his opinion on this one! I'm surprised he hasn't already! LOL!

If you go to the Just my size website there is a bra fitter on there that tells you how to do it--i used theirs and then went to a professional fitting at Nordie's and JMS was right on.

This is so funny that you posted this as I just went to Victoria's Secret and did this over the weekend. I have never had them measure me before and usually shop the semi annual sale but I had a couple of coupons and wanted to try the bra that Heidi Klum does the commercials for. I had two different ladies measure me and the both came up with the same size and I thought they did not know what they were doing measuring me as i had never heard or seen it done like this. However when I tried on the bras I swear there was enough room for some stuffing and even some snacks for they day.:D I had a horrible time with the size they told me I needed and so finally the second gal had me go down a cup size. Which fit better but the band I feel was still too big.

My suggestion is that if you have a Victoria's Secret close to go there and have them measure you and be sure try them on.

This is exactly why I go get fitted!!

I don't know if it's nationwide, but there is a company, Essential Bodywear (Essential Bodywear: Custom undergarment fittings, sales and home business opportunities) that is awesome. They are based in Michigan, so I don't know for sure if they have consultants in other states, but they were featured on Oprah a while back. She loves them, for whatever that is worth.

They are a direct sale company, like PC. In fact, I am scheduling a show for May with them. Can't wait, new bras!!

My original fitting was at a place thta specializes in bras and in post-mastectomy needs. They were amazing. They helped me to figure out what I wanted and needed in a bra. I've bought several bras there over the years since. One thing they told me was to be sure if I bought bras someplace else that I was fitted there as well. Our bodies change. Bras are different from one manufacturer to another. (I wear anywhere a 38 D, 38C,40C, or 40D, depending on the brand and style.) Even if you're buying something you've bought before, it's a good idea to try things on.

Wow, what an awesome response! Thanks ladies! Now I'm totally confused.....kidding!

I don't have a Victoria Secret anywhere within a 4 hour drive from me and the only department stores are a Sears, Zellers and Walmart that are within 2 hours. There is a La Senza and another lingerie store in the mall and that's about it.

I've been looking for an AMAZING pushup bra to give my girls some help and guide the poor little suckers in the right direction and out from heading towards my armpits :D (that's for you, just for reading KG) and haven't found anything or any help in the department stores. My next bet I guess is to head to the mall in the other town during the daytime hours when hopefully full time staff will be on in the lingerie stores and might actually be of some help.

I had my eye on the water type from Victoria's and heard great things about them but I got concerned when I checked out their measurement instructions. I was like huh? I have never had luck before so I'm really leery buying online without trying on. I know I could return them but with the back and forth it could take months to get something right. It's 14 business days as it is for them to get to me, then me to return, them process and reship etc.

Guess I better look elsewhere....

I've been reading all these posts, which is funny, because I've been thinking about going to VS for a new bra. I have a friend that only wears VS bras.

So, I was wondering... is she right? Do you all think VS is the best for bras? If not, what are your opinions on the best bras?

I have to drive 35 miles to VS. But then again, there isn't much choice in my small town for good clothing stores. We have Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Peebles.

I currently wear VS and Lane Bryant bras. I think it's definitely worth it to get a really good bra if you're busty at all. On the other hand, I have a friend who tells me she's never spent more than $10 on a bra. Then again, she could probably get by with a couple of gauze pads and some medical tape. I've heard that if you're a B cup or better, you'd do well to pay for a good bra. No matter what size you are, you should be fitted at least once. Pay attention to how it's done, in case you choose to do it for yourself in the future.

kcjodih said:
Wow, what an awesome response! Thanks ladies! Now I'm totally confused.....kidding!

I don't have a Victoria Secret anywhere within a 4 hour drive from me and the only department stores are a Sears, Zellers and Walmart that are within 2 hours. There is a La Senza and another lingerie store in the mall and that's about it.

I've been looking for an AMAZING pushup bra to give my girls some help and guide the poor little suckers in the right direction and out from heading towards my armpits :D (that's for you, just for reading KG) and haven't found anything or any help in the department stores. My next bet I guess is to head to the mall in the other town during the daytime hours when hopefully full time staff will be on in the lingerie stores and might actually be of some help.

I had my eye on the water type from Victoria's and heard great things about them but I got concerned when I checked out their measurement instructions. I was like huh? I have never had luck before so I'm really leery buying online without trying on. I know I could return them but with the back and forth it could take months to get something right. It's 14 business days as it is for them to get to me, then me to return, them process and reship etc.

Lane Bryants Cacique Balconettes are AMAZING. They are $$ but sometimes they have $1.99 shipping and you can always find discount codes online for 15-20% off. I usually get mine when they ahve the buy one get one 50% off sale... and then i use my 15-20% discount.

I heard (a while back, so it may not be true any more) that Cacique undergarments (the Lane Bryant brand) are made by VS.

raebates said:
I've heard that if you're a B cup or better, you'd do well to pay for a good bra. No matter what size you are, you should be fitted at least once. Pay attention to how it's done, in case you choose to do it for yourself in the future.

I keep sending out my resume that states my qualifications as a bra fitter but no one will hire me. :(

Jess_K said:
how funny! my husband doesn't do laundry either! I found Olga Bras work great for if you have problems with the straps falling. I think the back straps are sewn a bit more into the center of the back.

good luck on your quest!

LOL, my husband does his own laundry... I "accidentally";) turned some of his clothes pink and I haven't had to do his laundry since... ha ha ha

kcjodih said:

Hi Jodi,

Fredericks of Hollywood makes an awesome push-up bra... the store is a bit risque:eek: for some but they have some decent bras... just an FYI

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I keep sending out my resume that states my qualifications as a bra fitter but no one will hire me. :(

I was getting worried that something was wrong, KG. To read over these posts and not see a response from you would just indicate that you were too ill to make it to the key board!!!

And perhaps you should try to become a mammogram technician. You would have to do a better job consealing that grin and twinkle in your eyes!!:D

Lane Bryant used to be owned by Limited Corporation which owned Victoria Secrets, but then they got sold to Charming Shoppes about 6 -8 years ago. No long same corp heads but still great bra manufacturers. As for sales they are usually b1g1 1/2 off but in June and January is when they clearance the "Old" colors great time to buy. Also when they have Friends and Family sales (coming up next week I think). One other bit, the Figure magazine sold at the store usually has a $10 off Cacique (bra) coupon. Crud haven't worked for them for 2 years and here I am hawking their wares again!! lol

You think you have troubles, I used to know someone who had to have her bras custom-built.

http://www.funny-potato.com/images/bra.jpg

caraighan said:
I've been reading all these posts, which is funny, because I've been thinking about going to VS for a new bra. I have a friend that only wears VS bras.

So, I was wondering... is she right? Do you all think VS is the best for bras? If not, what are your opinions on the best bras?

I have to drive 35 miles to VS. But then again, there isn't much choice in my small town for good clothing stores. We have Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Peebles.

Holy cow, do you live in the same town as me? Oh, wait, we don't even have a K-Mart.

We do, however, have Fashion Bug, so I guess it's not that bad.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You think you have troubles, I used to know someone who had to have her bras custom-built.

http://www.funny-potato.com/images/bra.jpg

Ha, even I'm not THAT big! Not quite anyway.

chefann said:
I heard (a while back, so it may not be true any more) that Cacique undergarments (the Lane Bryant brand) are made by VS.

I think that is still true! When I worked at Lerner's now New York and Company they were all owned by the same group. I used to get a nice discount at all stores, and around Christmas they gave us a 40% off week! Man that was nice!

Keynote Speaker at the expo I did on Friday was the guy from What Not to Wear. He reminded us all that boobies aren't supposed to be part of your waist. Your bra should hold your bustline at a level right about halfway between your shoulder and elbow. Doing this will make your clothes fit better. And, of course, fit is one of the key elements of style.

raebates said:
Keynote Speaker at the expo I did on Friday was the guy from What Not to Wear. He reminded us all that boobies aren't supposed to be part of your waist. Your bra should hold your bustline at a level right about halfway between your shoulder and elbow. Doing this will make your clothes fit better. And, of course, fit is one of the key elements of style.
Clinton Kelly. You got to see Clinton live? How cool!
I keep hinting to DH that I wouldn't be offended if he nominated me for that show.

WARNING! Adult Content Follows!
raebates said:

You reminded me the story of the despondent little old lady who called her doctor. "Doc," she asked. "Where is my heart?"

"It's about two inches below your left breast," he answered.

"Thank you," she replied. She hung up and shot herself in the kneecap.

chefann said:
Clinton Kelly. You got to see Clinton live? How cool!
I keep hinting to DH that I wouldn't be offended if he nominated me for that show.

Yep, Clinton Kelly live. He gave a lot of good, general advice. He answered questions, then he critiqued several ladies. Afterward he gave autographs and posed for pictures. I was manning my booth, so I didn't get a chance to speak with him.

One of my favorite answers was to a question from a woman who said she is a professional. She also is very large busted. She asked how to determine what's appropriate for the office. He said, "Chest, yes. Boobies, no." He went on to say that a bit of decollete is nice, but the minute you're showing soft, squishy flesh, you've gone too far for daytime--especially in the office.

One of the best bits of advice he gave was about shopping. He said that it takes 2 solid days of shopping for the show, and they're thrilled when they can actually find 7 outfits that work. He said most of the women try on about 20 pairs of jeans before finding ones that work, which means there were 19 that didn't. Plus, since there are women with big butts, no butts, big busts, no busts, lots of curves, no curves, short, tall, medium, fat, thin, and everything in between--in every imaginable combination, you can't expect to find clothes that fit you perfectly. Make friends with a good tailor. A dart here, a hem there, and a bit of taking in elsewhere can make all the difference. Go with a plan in mind. Expect to try on lots of different things in different sizes. And, if you can't picture it with at least 3 other things in your closet, don't buy it. You'll be wasting money and closet space.

He also told us, in response to a couple of questions, that those of us who are petite (under 5'4") or plus size are basically out of luck. When you find a manufacturer whose clothing works for you, patronize the heck out of them.

Re: WARNING! Adult Content Follows!
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You reminded me the story of the despondent little old lady who called her doctor. "Doc," she asked. "Where is my heart?"

"It's about two inches below your left breast," he answered.

"Thank you," she replied. She hung up and shot herself in the kneecap.

I think of that old lady more and more often when I see myself in the mirror. :rolleyes:

So, Rae, how did you do? Did you get many good leads?

Eight shows scheduled
Two good recruit leads
80 to 85 additional contacts to call and touch base withAll in all, not too bad. Plus, I got a good lead on what I should weed out of my closet. LOL!

What is the recommended method for measuring band size for the perfect bra fit?

The recommended method for measuring band size is to hold the tape measure around your back at band level and then bring it to the front, just above your bust. The resulting number is your band size. If the number is odd, it is recommended to round down to the closest even number.

Do I measure my band size where the band sits or at an angle?

According to Victoria's Secret, the band size should be measured at an angle, just above the bust. This may be different from what you have learned in the past, but it is the recommended method for accurate sizing.

How do I measure my bust size?

To measure your bust size, you should measure completely around the fullest part of your bust at nipple level. If this measurement falls on the half-inch mark, it is recommended to round up to the nearest whole number.

What is the calculation for determining cup size?

To determine your cup size, you will need to subtract your band size from your bust measurement. The resulting number corresponds to a letter for your cup size. For example, if your bust measurement is 36" and your band size is 34, your cup size would be a B. The difference in inches between the bust measurement and band size corresponds to the cup size (0 inches = AA, 1 inch = A, 2 inches = B, 3 inches = C, etc.).

Is this how you measure for your bra size?

As an employee of Pampered Chef, I am not able to personally measure for bra sizes. However, Victoria's Secret's recommended method for measuring band and bust size and determining cup size is a commonly accepted method in the industry. It is always important to try on bras to ensure the best fit and comfort.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JAE
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenf
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies