• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boycotting Walmart: Why They Said No to Lions Club Christmas Trees

In summary, Walmart has told the McMinnville Lions Club that they can no longer sell Christmas trees in the store's parking lot due to corporate policy. This decision has sparked outrage among locals, who see it as a hindrance to their annual fundraising efforts. However, Walmart will continue to allow other organizations to solicit donations and sell items in designated areas. The Lions Club has found a new location to sell their trees, but some members feel hurt by the store's decision. Many people have already stopped shopping at Walmart for various reasons, including their tactics to build a store near a historical site.
That's good - then we don't have to read about your arrest. :) Have fun!

I'm interested in finding out if any of you have a giving tree currently in your local Walmart and/or have a charity selling Christmas trees in a Walmart parking lot. A friend of mine went shopping in my state this weekend to another Walmart and they had a giving tree. We were told by Walmart that it was a corporate decision, not a local manager decision on having the giving trees inside. I think there's more to the story than we are being told.

I must comment about my disdain for Walmart, right before I go to bed. :) I agree with the TX person and what she's saying about Walmart and produce companies. Cheating companies out of their money is not capitalism. It's cheating. It's bullying. Because Walmart is so huge, no grower or produce distributing company can fight against them. Walmart has more money to fight AND the farmer/distributor has to stay in business with the crooks in order to stay in business, cut their losses and move forward. Walking away from business with Walmart means walking away from your business. They (corporate Walmart) are crooks.

I wish I could say I've not shopped in a Walmart in years, but when I visit my parents in TX, we go to Walmart. Here, where I live, I won't shop in the local Walmart. Gross. Stinky, messy, not cheaper than Meijer, way too busy parking lot and store. It's only cheaper if you don't make a list and shop only sales. If you just want to go and pick up whatever you need every time you shop, then it probably is less expensive than other stores. But, Meijer has sales, and I make my list according to the sales and my coupons. That makes it cheaper than Walmart.

JAE said:
I must comment about my disdain for Walmart, right before I go to bed. :) I agree with the TX person and what she's saying about Walmart and produce companies. Cheating companies out of their money is not capitalism. It's cheating. It's bullying. Because Walmart is so huge, no grower or produce distributing company can fight against them. Walmart has more money to fight AND the farmer/distributor has to stay in business with the crooks in order to stay in business, cut their losses and move forward. Walking away from business with Walmart means walking away from your business. They (corporate Walmart) are crooks.

I wish I could say I've not shopped in a Walmart in years, but when I visit my parents in TX, we go to Walmart. Here, where I live, I won't shop in the local Walmart. Gross. Stinky, messy, not cheaper than Meijer, way too busy parking lot and store. It's only cheaper if you don't make a list and shop only sales. If you just want to go and pick up whatever you need every time you shop, then it probably is less expensive than other stores. But, Meijer has sales, and I make my list according to the sales and my coupons. That makes it cheaper than Walmart.

That is SO true! It's dangerous just trying to find a parking space in that totally unorganized parking lot...and Meijers has done alot to stay competitive. The WM closest to me is the same way....it's been a couple years since I've been in either of them, but both were gross, stinky, and messy.

pamperedlinda said:
This is one of my biggest problems with Walmart and the main reason I do not support them: http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/02/17/wal-mart-recession-profiteer/

Ok I was not going to get into this debate until I read this article. I work for Wal-Mart and would like to share my story so that everyone can see that WM is not all bad. Yes there are things that I don't agree with but that has been the same with every company I have worked for including Pampered Chef.

I am a single mom of 2 and if it were not for working and shopping at WM I don't know what I would have done. I have no college degree but do have some technical certifications and had a few years of computer experience when I was hired into ISD at WM. I have a great job and make a nice living. I have my own home and with the salary at WM, I am able to send my kids to a private school.

The insurance is very affordable. I pay less than 100 dollars a month for me and the kids. Also, there are other benefits that go with this. I had an emergency and had to be out for 2 months. WM paid me....don't know of any other places that would have. Nice not to have to worry about how to feed the kids when I was in the hospital for 3 weeks. There are so many insurance plans that I find it extremely hard to believe that someone could not find one that they could afford. some are as low as 12 dollars a pay period.

As far as the store associates go, the average wage is 10 dollars an hour. My sons have multiple friends who work in the store and one of them just got married and bought a new home. Wedding and down payment made on an hourly associate's salary. That sounds like more than minimum wage to me. He has been with WM for about 4-5 years. If goes to show that if a person is willing to work hard they can get ahead.

Now that is not to say that every WM store manager is a nice guy or that everything that WM does I agree with but my experience and the experience of MOST people I know who work for WM either at the corporate office or in the stores is positive overall. Please do not let the actions of one person or the stories that disgruntled (mostly former) employees share in the papers make you judge the entire company because honestly I have never worked for a company that cares more about their people.

Sorry this post was so long but I wanted to share the other side.

Melissa - it must be in the name because I agree 100% with you. I have the college degree and while I worked there everyone asked why I was still at my high school job so many years later. They were good to me and I felt like I had job security (hind sight 20/20, I didn't thanks to mgmt restructure) but I don't hold the grudge. I still do all of my consumables shopping at WM and Sams, still own stock in WM and stand up for them when others beat them down on hear say. Like you, I don't agree with everything nor do I think everything they do is right but again agreeing with you...no company deserves Saint status and they all have their downside. If it wasn't for WM my community would be in a world of hurt. And I have been to the Springdale WM and HO many times. Nice area!

<h2>1. Why did Walmart say no to having the Lions Club Christmas trees in its parking lot?</h2><p>According to Walmart spokeswoman Deisha Galberth, the store's decision was based on a desire to maintain a streamlined shopping experience for customers by keeping the parking lot clear of congestion and distractions.</p><h2>2. Will any other fundraising activities be allowed in the Walmart parking lot?</h2><p>No, Walmart will not allow any other fundraising activities such as selling fireworks or holding car washes in their parking lot. These activities have never been in line with corporate policy, even though they may have been allowed in some locations in the past.</p><h2>3. Why does Walmart allow Salvation Army bellringers and Girl Scouts to sell cookies in their vestibule or along the sidewalk in front of the store?</h2><p>According to Galberth, these areas are subject to local discretion and therefore, can be allowed by the store manager. However, the sales floor and parking lot are under corporate policy and cannot be used for fundraising or soliciting.</p><h2>4. How long has the Lions Club been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot?</h2><p>The Lions Club has been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot for about 10 years, according to McMinnville banker Todd Caster.</p><h2>5. Is there any chance that Walmart will reverse their decision?</h2><p>No, Galberth stated that there is no chance of Walmart reversing their decision on parking lot activities. However, she did mention that the local manager will be reaching out to explore other fundraising options for the Lions Club in a different season.</p>

1. Why did Walmart say no to having the Lions Club Christmas trees in its parking lot?

According to Walmart spokeswoman Deisha Galberth, the store's decision was based on a desire to maintain a streamlined shopping experience for customers by keeping the parking lot clear of congestion and distractions.

2. Will any other fundraising activities be allowed in the Walmart parking lot?

No, Walmart will not allow any other fundraising activities such as selling fireworks or holding car washes in their parking lot. These activities have never been in line with corporate policy, even though they may have been allowed in some locations in the past.

3. Why does Walmart allow Salvation Army bellringers and Girl Scouts to sell cookies in their vestibule or along the sidewalk in front of the store?

According to Galberth, these areas are subject to local discretion and therefore, can be allowed by the store manager. However, the sales floor and parking lot are under corporate policy and cannot be used for fundraising or soliciting.

4. How long has the Lions Club been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot?

The Lions Club has been selling Christmas trees in the Walmart parking lot for about 10 years, according to McMinnville banker Todd Caster.

5. Is there any chance that Walmart will reverse their decision?

No, Galberth stated that there is no chance of Walmart reversing their decision on parking lot activities. However, she did mention that the local manager will be reaching out to explore other fundraising options for the Lions Club in a different season.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tlag1986
  • chefjeanine
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies