• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boxed Cake Mix Reviews: Pillsbury, Duncan Hines & Betty Crocker

In summary, Betty Crocker's SuperMoist Milk Chocolate Cake Mix was not moist and had a lot of crumbs on the cake when tested. Additionally, Duncan Hines is the best boxed cake mix available.
akrebecca
Silver Member
I recently used Betty Crockers' SuperMoist Milk Chocolate Cake Mix for a birthday cake. I was not pleased with the suprising lack of moisture. I did not overcook the cake, in fact I took the cake out three minutes before the timer went off. When tested, there were some crumbs sticking on the cake tester. When I tried slicing off the top to level the cake, crumbs were everywhere. The 'crumb coating' of frosting had a lot of crumbs. I am not a professional baker so there may be techniques I am not familiar with. That being said, what are your thoughts on other boxed cake mixes? The ones available in my market area are Pillsbury, Duncan Hines & Betty Crocker. Which ones are moist, tasty, easy to frost etc.....

I usually prefer Duncan Hines or Pillsbury, but that's because they're usually the cheapest or the ones I have coupons for. I don't have any trouble with those being moist.

Duncan Hines is the best of the boxed mixes. I've seen a noticeable difference when I make the skillet cakes if I use a different brand.

I only use boxed cakes for Pampered Chef shows. You can make a cake from scratch really easily and it is always better than anything you can get from a box. I am not sure why a box cake tastes so bad and not moist compared to homemade.

I remember Hines from my high school days. He wasn't much of a swimmer and kind of a wuss, so down at the pool, we all used to take turns Duncan Hines.

When I use boxed cake mix (I don't always have the time/ingredients to do scratch), I usually go with Duncan Hines. Not sure why though. :)

I prefer Duncan Hines for a box mix :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I remember Hines from my high school days. He wasn't much of a swimmer and kind of a wuss, so down at the pool, we all used to take turns Duncan Hines.

That was bad enough to make a King lear.

Actually, it was a piece o' cake.

Another vote for Duncan Hines, and also my aunt would vote for that, too! She's the one who told me they were the best. I wish they were on sale more often!

Love the comments! Thanks for the suggesstions. Gonna give Duncan Hines a try for the big party this weekend-sans pool!

Duncan Hines is the best.

If I remember right, Duncan Hines is also the only one not processed in a facility that also processes nuts, which can be a deal-breaker for some people.

I make cakes all the time and prefer pillsbury

One thing to remember, it all depends on where you live, the weather and especially the moisture levels. Now, I do know of a taste testing I saw on a cooking show. The winner was Duncan Hines and not Betty Crocker's Super Moist. And they used a regular cake mix from Duncan Hines and nothing special so that tells you something that a regular cake mix beat out a Super Moist.

I decorate cakes, actually have to bake some today, 4 cakes = 14 boxes worth. I've used them all. I have to say pillsbury is my least favorite, smaller amount in boxes I think. I use the Aldi brand quite a bit. They just started to carry white cake now too. The think that I find that affects cakes the most, is being sure to mix it for the full 2 minutes. I still set a timer every time.

Boxed cake does tend to be a bit crumbly. If you want a denser texture, add a box of instant pudding and use 4 eggs, 1/2 cup oil and then 1 cup of water/juice/soda/beer. Beer cake is a lot of fun, so many great combos. My favorite is using orange cake mix, vanilla pudding and then peach Bacardi Silver Beverage. Family favorite is white cake, pistachio pudding and Monster Energy Drink. Can you tell we are an Anhueser Busch Family, lol.

When I googled cake mixes, I did find a website that gave suggestions for additional ingrediants. For the other two birthdays this year, I will experiment wiht combos, but for the party on Saturday, I am looking for something quick and easy since I am making 50 cupcakes. Half will be decorated with *tiny* fondant flowers and the rest with larger fondant flowers. Did I mention I am making the fondant?

And all this is coming from someone who really dislikes making sugar cookies because they have to be chilled, rolled out, cut with a cookie cutter THEN baked. I am a cookie scoop person.

Just had to share the end result. DD choose Pillsbury cake mix and it tasted better than Betty Crockers. I enjoyed decorating the cupcakes, but halfway thru cutting the small flowers, I was regretting my choice. So many tiny flowers-nine for each cupcake & 24 cupcakes with 24 additional for the middle of the big pink flowers. That's 240 little flowers. And that does not count the ones that were messed up. But I totally enjoyed making the cupcakes & fondant.

Attachments

• moms camera 005.JPG
    moms camera 005.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 329
  • moms camera 006.JPG
    moms camera 006.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 339
  • moms camera 007.JPG
    moms camera 007.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 300
  • moms camera 008.JPG
    moms camera 008.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 295
Send that trifle picture to HO for their weekly thing!

Hands down Duncan Hines but I have made pillsbury and people liked how "moist" it was. ;)

1. Which boxed cake mix brand is the best for a moist and fluffy cake?

Based on customer reviews and taste tests, the most popular choice for a moist and fluffy cake is Duncan Hines.

2. Are there any boxed cake mixes that are suitable for people with dietary restrictions?

Yes, all three brands (Pillsbury, Duncan Hines, and Betty Crocker) offer gluten-free and sugar-free options for those with dietary restrictions.

3. Can you use boxed cake mix to make other desserts besides cake?

Yes, boxed cake mix can be used to make a variety of desserts such as cupcakes, cookies, bars, and even cake pops.

4. Which brand offers the most flavor options for boxed cake mix?

Betty Crocker offers the most flavor options with over 30 different flavors to choose from.

5. Are there any boxed cake mixes that are considered healthier options?

All three brands offer "healthier" options with lower calorie and sugar content, but it is important to note that these are still processed foods and should be consumed in moderation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Laura420
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Bren706