• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Writing Off a Bounced Check: What to Do

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of taking a bounced check from a customer and writing it off as a loss. Some suggestions were to include the charges incurred from the bank, phone calls, postage, and mileage in the write-off. It was also mentioned that small claims suits can be filed in certain states to collect the check amount and charges. Some individuals shared their experiences with bounced checks and methods for trying to collect the money, such as going to the customer's bank or contacting collections. It was advised not to give up and to make sure the customer knows they also owe for any penalties incurred. One person recommended cashing the checks before depositing to avoid penalties if the check bounces. The conversation also touched on the topic of contacting
KirstenAnne
Silver Member
Quick question-Can you take a bounced check from a customer and write it off as a loss. Won't probably ever see the money, so I want to be able to write it off.

Of course! Don't forget to include in the write-off the charges that you incurred from your bank, phone charges to try collecting it, postage from your mailings to the customer and any mileage to and from the bank and post office!

If you want to try to collect, you can file a small claims suit, though. And in our state, we are able to collect 3x the amount of the check and charges....you may want to check that out, first!

Gotta love those NSFs, huh?:rolleyes:

Thanks but with everything I have going now- Too much hassle- Was only $100.00

KirstenAnne said:
Thanks but with everything I have going now- Too much hassle- Was only $100.00
Was only $100?? I would still be calling that one! If you have the check you can go to their bank and ask them to cash it (go when you think it's payday or the day after). If not, leave a message telling her you're contacting collections. It might make her do something!

I have had a few checks bounce and all but one was appauled that it happened and paid me in cash immediately. The one that didn't just never returned my calls. I still have the product so it wasn't a total loss. Anyone need a set of Stainless Steel Bowls at 22% off retail (my commission that month)... I know, I could have sent them back to PC but I didn't realize it at the time...

Did you call the person? I would think that $100 is worth trying to get! Knock on wood...I've only had this happen to me once. And I called the gal, & she was sooo embarassed because she had written a check out of the wrong checkbook; they had switched banks & wrote the check out of their closed account. She got me the money right away.I would call her first if you haven't!

You can take the bounced check to your local District Attorney's office. I would try several times before I give up on her. The DA will try several times too. He usually gets a piece of your check, but its better than nothing. But, if you have the products, I don't know if you can do anything. Basically its a no sale. But, you can send them back.

I had a lady bounce a check for $23. It took her a year to pay me and I had to send her a self addr stamped envelope to help ensure it would actually go in the mail!

Don't give up!! Just don't harrass either. I called this lady once every other month, left msgs, talked to her etc. It finally paid off.

I'd go after $100! Also, I'd make sure that she knows she also owes you for any penalty that you had to pay. It's worked for me (I've only had two bounce in 5 years). I request cash, a money order or bank check when they are paying me back.

You can also cash the checks before you deposit the money. My local bank teller (who was a great host) recommends this. She says if the check does bounce after you cash it, it's the checkwriter's fault and you don't get penalized for their mistake!

So do you cash all of the checks & then bring the money back later to deposit it into your account?
I used to have the guests write the checks to the host, but I don't want her to deal with bounced checks so now I'm having them write it to me.

I've had this happen a few times. The last time it happened, I kept calling the customer's bank to find out if there were sufficient funds to cover the check. After a few calls (she apparently never has money!), there was enough. I hurried to the bank and redeposited the check. I think you can only do this once on a check, so the key is to make sure there is enough money to cover it before you try the 2nd time. HTH!!

Marina

Wow, I'm so fortunate. My credit union called with a $14 insufficient funds check. They are checking several times a day and will deposit it as soon as the funds are available. No extra fee!

And the best is she asked if I could send her a catalog. I don't even know how she knows I sell Pampered Chef but will do it as soon as I get my supply order.

beepampered said:
Wow, I'm so fortunate. My credit union called with a $14 insufficient funds check. They are checking several times a day and will deposit it as soon as the funds are available. No extra fee!

And the best is she asked if I could send her a catalog. I don't even know how she knows I sell Pampered Chef but will do it as soon as I get my supply order.

Credit Unions are nice to have. They really look out for you. A lot of them will at least. And, especially if they become your customers! ;)

Deffintaly go after your guest a $100.00 is nothing to spit at, contact the local DA office if you have to if your attepmts to contact her fail. I haven't had this problem yet, hopefully never will. Knock on wood !!

Maybe ask her to host a show in place of fees charged for the check; you really ought to come out ahead in this one. I used to do that in place of bounced checks or make a suggestion that they can either pay the fees or schedule a show immediately. Usually the show will earn much more than the bounched check fee and you'll have lots more guests/contacts in the future too :)

My last show in August I had TWO checks come back as NSF. One of them was a bank error, but the other one acted like it was my fault the check bounced. It all ended up fine, but it is a hassle.

Soothenrelax said:
Maybe ask her to host a show in place of fees charged for the check; you really ought to come out ahead in this one. I used to do that in place of bounced checks or make a suggestion that they can either pay the fees or schedule a show immediately. Usually the show will earn much more than the bounched check fee and you'll have lots more guests/contacts in the future too :)
That is a really good idea never thought of that one.

I would just call her bank until there are sufficent funds in her account. I go and cash it out the minute she does.
That happened to me once. I called every week until her bank told me she had the funds to cover it. I went right away, got my cash! Unfortunately for her it was right before Christmas, but it was a large check and I had left tons of messages and emails and she would not pay me for three months! At least I got my money.

1. What is a bounced check?

A bounced check is a check that is returned by the bank due to insufficient funds in the account. This means that the check cannot be processed and the person or company to whom the check was written will not receive the payment.

2. What should I do if I write a bounced check?

If you write a bounced check, the first thing you should do is contact the person or company to whom the check was written and apologize for the inconvenience. You should then make arrangements to pay the amount owed as soon as possible.

3. Can I still write off a bounced check on my taxes?

Yes, you can still write off a bounced check on your taxes. However, you will need to provide documentation of the bounced check, such as a bank statement or letter from the recipient, to prove that the expense was incurred.

4. Will writing off a bounced check affect my credit score?

Writing off a bounced check will not directly affect your credit score. However, if the recipient of the check reports it to a credit bureau, it could potentially have a negative impact on your credit score.

5. How can I avoid writing a bounced check?

To avoid writing a bounced check, make sure to always keep track of your account balance and only write checks for the amount of money you have available. You can also set up overdraft protection with your bank to avoid the check from bouncing in case of insufficient funds.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • pamperedval
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
reba515
  • Michelle's Kitchen