• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Share Your Must-Read Books: What's on Your Reading List?

In summary, Janet recommends reading books that are not for a grade, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Dear John by Nicholas Sparks, and The Wedding by Catherine Marshall. She is currently reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks and plans to read Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy and Baby Laughs after she becomes pregnant.
thecougchef
janets post about her daughter gave me an idea ..

i love to read - even if it takes me forever to finish a book. im always looking for a new book once ive finished reading one. especially now that i am done with my bachelors degree. i find reading alot more enjoyable when its not for a grade :rolleyes:

anyone want to list their favorite books? what are you reading right now? what are you hoping to read soon?

this will give me (& hopefully other people) a reference when i am looking for a new book.

Here's what my book group will be reading this year:February Fablehaven, Brandon MullMarch Dear John, Nicholas SparksApril The Traveler’s Gift, Andy Andrews

May Christy, Catherine Marshall June Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card July Ophelia, Lisa M. KleinAugust Plain Truth, Jodi PicoultSeptember Lake News, Barbara Delinsky

October Witch Child, Celia ReesNovember Coal Miner’s Bride, Susan Campbell Bartoletti December The Christmas Sweater, Glenn BeckOther good reads suggested by others:The Host, Stephenie Meyer
The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch

babywings76 said:
Here's what my book group will be reading this year:

February Fablehaven, Brandon Mull

March Dear John, Nicholas Sparks

April The Traveler’s Gift, Andy Andrews

May Christy, Catherine Marshall
June Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card

July Ophelia, Lisa M. Klein

August Plain Truth, Jodi Picoult

September Lake News, Barbara Delinsky

October Witch Child, Celia Rees

November Coal Miner’s Bride, Susan Campbell Bartoletti

December The Christmas Sweater, Glenn Beck

Other good reads suggested by others:

The Host, Stephenie Meyer

Love this book! Haven't read it in a while, but it's always been a favorite!

right now i am reading the host by stephenie meyer (the author of the twilight series).

its dubbed "science fiction for people who dont like science fiction." which is so true. its basically about aliens (i think aliens) who invade human bodies & take over them. but not in a vicious or menicing way...they saw that humans were destroying each other & destroying the planet & so they took over the bodies in order to basically save earth. well - thats what i gathered so far. a 'soul' -as the aliens are called- invades melanies body but melanie refuses to let the soul take over. so there are two souls coexisting in this body - sharing memories and thoughts.

that may be a bad synopsis. i dont think its as good as the twilight books but this book is more geared towards adults. im about half way done with it...

babywings76 said:

this is probably the only nicholas sparks book i havent read. i do own it though. i just finished reading the lucky one. its one of my favorite nicholas sparks books now because
it has a good ending!

Not reading anything non PC related....:( I miss it! Some of my fave authors are Toni Morrison, Phillipe Greggory, Barbara Kingsolver

I recommend anything Nicholas Sparks.. My favorites are Dear John, The Choice, and The Wedding. Each of these books literally took me 2-3 days to read. I could not put them down.

My mother has been raving about The Shack. I'm not sure what it's about, but I've heard quite a few people say it was wonderful.

Also, if anyone reading this is pregnant you have to read Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy & then Baby Laughs.
I love Jenny McCarthy's books. She has also wrote a few dealing w/ Autism & her son, which are amazing, & more serious.

I told myself I wouldn't read anymore novels until I read the Bible, so I am on hold right now.

babywings76 said:

Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorites and while I LOVED Dear John, I have to say my all time favorite was The Choice. Such an amazing book.

The Last Lecture was such a great book and really made you look at your own life.

Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven and For One More Day were excellent reads.

I also LOVE Harlan Coben. His stand alone books are all linked by having some of the same characters but none of them are actually connected and are truely amazing. I took 5 of his books on me over the 4th of July when DD and I went camping and I finished one book each day. So good!!

I am currently too busy to really sit and read but the book on my end table is The Shack and after that The Wednesday Letters.

I have to be careful with starting a book. I tend to read it in one or two days. OOPS! I enjoy Mary Higgins Clark for the mystery suspense. Covenant Child, The Gifted & The Listener by Terry Blackstock were all REALLY good. That's all I can think of at this moment. I have about 60 books to read, but don't always take the time. I always right the date and my name (in pencil) when I read a book and what I thought of it. That way if I lend it and someone needs a light read or happy book, they can stay clear of the sad ones :).

The twilight series if you haven't read it... my DH is a fan of the Eragon series, I haven't read it yet tho...

I love sappy love stories, or a good mystery. I'm not currently reading anything right now though. I love Stephen King and Dean Koontz books, they are my favorites. Thanks for starting this thread, it's a great guide to finding the next great book!

candiejayne said:
I love sappy love stories, or a good mystery. I'm not currently reading anything right now though. I love Stephen King and Dean Koontz books, they are my favorites. Thanks for starting this thread, it's a great guide to finding the next great book!
If you like a good mystery then try the Harlan Coben books I mentioned above. These are the ultimate mysteries and I LOVE them!!

He also has a series of mysteries and I haven't started reading the series, I just have read all of the stand alone books. Last spring/summer his big hit was The Woods. Totally an end of your seat, page turning, gotta find out what is next type of author.

Last edited:
thecougchef said:
this is probably the only nicholas sparks book i havent read. i do own it though. i just finished reading the lucky one. its one of my favorite nicholas sparks books now because
it has a good ending!

I read Dear John and it was the only NS book that took me a while to get into - it was ok - just not one of my favorites!

Because I love to cook, and I love food - two of my favorite mystery series are about people who cook!

The Goldy Schulz series by Diane Mott Davidson...about a caterer in Colorado who also solves murders...

The Hannah Swensen series by Joanne Fluke...about a bakery owner in Minnesota who also solves murders...

Both of there are really fun mystery series, and also include great recipes with each book!:chef:

If you like a little history with a good story thrown in, I recommend Ken Follett's books The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.

While World Without End is supposedly not a sequel, it takes place in the same town and follows the lives of ancestors from the first book. Pillars takes place in the 12th century and WWE is two centuries later.

These are not quick reads -- they are big books, but they will keep you engrossed. Good time to buy used off the internet or look for at your favorite thrift store.

babywings76 said:

I really liked that book. It was a pretty easy read also.

Well, I agree that if you haven't read the Twilight Series, it is worth the time. I Read all 4 in 4 days and only at night. I loved them.

I read everyday so I have read plenty of books. I will list the ones I read recently and what I thought about them. I like mystery, suspense, romance.

Wuthering Heights- Ok so this is a classic, but I read it once again last week and still love it.

The True Blood series- there are 8 books currently out in this series with one coming out in May I believe. This series was ok, but didn't live up to my expectations because I read twilight prior and fell in love with that vampire world.

Tami Hoag- Night Sins- Pretty good book. I like Tami Hoag so I am a bit biased. All her books tend to be repetitive though.

The Outlander Series- awesome IMHO. Books are long but I didn't even realize it based on how fast I read them. There are 6 books in the series and they may sound silly, but they are so worth it.

Twilight Series "Stephenie Meyer"- Like I said above, I love this series. I have lent my books out to about 6 different people now and they all love it.

I am currently starting a new series called "Anita Blake Vampire Hunter" by Laurell K Hamilton. So far I think it is ok. I am only on the 2nd book and there are 16 in the series.

Jennifer Weiner is great... My favorite so far is Good in Bed although, it was the first one of hers that I have read... They are all good. http://www.jenniferweiner.com/books.htm

I read Christian fiction so my list will be different from most here. My very favorite Christian author is Karen Kingsbury. She is an awesome writer and her books make you feel you know her "characters" as friends. Her "Redemption", "First Born", "Forever", and "Sunrise" Series (who follow the same family throughout) are just wonderful. The last one of this series just came out and it is like "losing a good friend" to no longer read about them. She also has several stand-along books and a few 2-book series that are wonderful.I also enjoy Davis Bunn and am reading "All Through The Night" right now. It's really good. I love mysteries and political thrillers and he does both.I also enjoy Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetler who write about the Amish. I've learned a lot from their books.Joel Rosenberg wrote a series of political thrillers that are excellent and very timely. If you like those type of books, you will love these.Terry Blackstock wrote several great mystery series. She also wrote a series called, "The Restoration Series" where the whole world loses power of all kinds somewhere around 2000 and everyone has to rely on "old fashioned" ways of doing things! Great series!

Marley and Me was good, especially since one of my dogs is sweet, but kind of a spaz
The Ghost of Hannah Mendes, by Naomi Ragan, was good. It's about Spanish Jews and how they fared during the Inquisition and expulsion from Spain, combined with a plot from present day. My background is Eastern European, so for me it was a chance to learn about the other Jews (Western European).

I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver two David Bach books - Start Late Finish Rich, and Smart Women Finish Rich, per the thread here about Bach endorsing direct sales and focusing on Pampered Chef.

Oh yes, I also zoomed through the Twilight series. They were good, but not as rich as Harry Potter.

I loved the Harry Potter series, especially since it was a shared experience with my (now 19 year old) son.

I just finished The Shack (a VERY late Christmas present from my Dad, but who am I to complain - there are unwrapped gifts in my bedroom I still have to send to my sister and her family). It's an amazing book. Make sure you have a box of tissues - especially in the beginning, but necessary throughout the book.

I recently reread Jane Eyre. It's been an all time favorite, but realized it's actually been about 30 years since I first (and last, before this most recent reading) read it. Now I know why I loved it so much!! I have to read David Copperfield again, to see if it's also as wonderful as I remember.

If you like a light read combined with mystery, I very highly recommend the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy T. Atherton. For period mysteries with a tiny bit of history education try the Jane Austen series by Stephanie Barron. I'm also a sucker for Dean Koontz, especially the Odd Thomas books.

Another absolutely amazing series (hmmm, do you see a trend here?), is the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead. Truly beautifully written and completely captivating.

Too bad I don't like to read, isn't it? Well, hey, you asked!

Becky0216 said:
The True Blood series- there are 8 books currently out in this series with one coming out in May I believe. This series was ok, but didn't live up to my expectations because I read twilight prior and fell in love with that vampire world.

i was thinking about reading the blue bloods series by melissa de la cruz. its a vampire series but the kids dont find out that they are actually vampires until they turn 15. i found it when i was hunting for a book for my 11-year-old brother.

one of my favorite authors (besides nicholas sparks, jk rowling, stephenie meyer) is nora roberts. i love the romance and mystery in her books. and i love that most of her books are in a series. my favorite nora roberts series is the three sisters trilogy (dance upon the air, heaven & earth, face the fire). i also just bought her new series - the sign of seven trilogy. i havent been in the mood to start it yet though.

I love Nora Roberts! Have you read the 4 book series about the brothers-I can only remember the titles Sea Swept and Chesapeake Blue but there are two others. Also, the JD Robb books that she writes about the detective in 2052 are pretty fun reads.
I read a LOT, but it is usually light novels that are fun to read.

I read the Blue Blood books. They were ok, but in comparison to the other Vampire stories, this one was my least favorite. I gave them to a neighbor kid (11) because she wanted to read the True Blood and I felt that was to adult for her. She really liked them, so maybe they just were not for me. Geeze, I need a break from Vampires:)
After I finish the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series all together.

I agree Nora Roberts is great. I read the series that Jill talked about most recently.

"Water for Elephants" was one of the best books I've read in a LONG time!

babywings76 said:

I read Christy and loved it. I am also a fan of Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, and Barbara Delinsky. Jodi Picoult is my new favorite. Debbie Macomber also has some really good books-light and easy to read.

I also like Mary Higgins Clark.

thecougchef said:
one of my favorite authors (besides nicholas sparks, jk rowling, stephenie meyer) is nora roberts. i love the romance and mystery in her books. and i love that most of her books are in a series. my favorite nora roberts series is the three sisters trilogy (dance upon the air, heaven & earth, face the fire). i also just bought her new series - the sign of seven trilogy. i havent been in the mood to start it yet though.

I am a Nora Roberts fan as well. I have read the sign of seven trilogy and really enjoyed it. I read the first two books before the third book was released and I couldn't wait to get it and find out how everything ends.

Right now I'm reading a book called Christ in His Fullness, written by Bruce Sullivan. Bruce goes to my church.

I also love science fiction. My husband and I listen to audio books when we are in the car. Right now we're listening to the 2nd Eragon book (I can't remember the name :( )

I love Farnham's Freehold (my favorite by Robert E. Heinlein)
Colony (my favorite by Ben Bova)

There are many books by both Heinlein and Bova that I love and have read more than once.

just finished reading the host by stephenie meyer.
it was good - not twilight good. but if you liked the twilight series & science fiction/romance - it is worth reading. it was really slow between pages 100-200ish but then it picked up & i couldnt put it down. definitely recommend reading it :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Janet Evanovich's series featuring Stephanie Plum... Start with "One for the Money". All the books are about the same gal, who is a bounty hunter and have a mix of some romance, adventure, and her hilarious antics! Lately I have been addicted to everything David Baldacci. I just discovered him and think he is amazing!If you like real life stories and food "The Sharper the Knife the Less You Cry", is a great book. A real life story of a woman who follows her dreams by going to culinary school in another country. I could go on and on. I love a good book!! And I totally agree, once I finished my degree I was living in books. It was so nice to not be being told what to read anymore!

I tend to read a whole spectrum of different books. I just finished The Shack last week. Loved it! I am now reading Jodi Picoult Change of Heart. I have read alot of hers and like her alot,too. If any one wants to read a book that you will be bleary eyed from crying:cry: and not putting it down all night I suggest both "Sam's Letters to Jennifer" and "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" they are both by James Patterson--so not his normal style of writing...believe me!!!! Another book that will make you kiss the ground you live on and appreciate EVERY LITTLE THING YOU HAVE...is an amazing novel by Malika Oufkir called "Stolen Lives: 20 years in a Desert Jail" . I read this at least ten years ago, then Oprah named it to her Book Club list...I always think about this book. I am planning on rereading it again after I finish Change of Heart. Let me know if anyone reads this...it is very thought provoking...

Anything John Grisham or David Baldacci is good. Usually fast-paced. Also Dan Brown (I could NOT put down Digital Fortress, DaVinci Code or Angels & Demons). Anything by James Patterson is fabulous, too.

For historical non-fiction, I recently finished The Devil in The White City by Eric Larson. A true story about the making of the Chicago World's Fair and a serial killer. Fascinating.

For non-fictionThe Orchard (sorry don't remember the author, but written by a woman who took over her family's orchard to keep it from being sold) and Chosen by a Horse (written by another woman...don't remember her name, either).

I'm also a Barbara Kingsolver fan. Try Prodigal Summer or The Bean Trees.

For the lighter side, Fern Michaels or Debra Macomber are where I go to.

I'm all over the place in my like of genres...I also love Isaac Asimov's robot books.

chefjeanine said:
If you like a little history with a good story thrown in, I recommend Ken Follett's books The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.

While World Without End is supposedly not a sequel, it takes place in the same town and follows the lives of ancestors from the first book. Pillars takes place in the 12th century and WWE is two centuries later.

These are not quick reads -- they are big books, but they will keep you engrossed. Good time to buy used off the internet or look for at your favorite thrift store.

The Pillars of the Earth is my all time favorite book. I read it one summer and it was so good I couldn't read anything else for awhile after I finished it. It was quite a big book, and it was so good that I read it every opportunity I got that summer - it was all I could think about. So much so that I was so sad when I finished it since that meant I did not have it to read anymore. I read it when it came out in paperback back in the early 90's. I have wanted to re-read it - but it made such an impression on me that I haven't "forgotten" it enough to re-read it until just recently.

I bought World Without End, but haven't read it yet.

chefjeanine: Since you liked Pillars, you may want to try Charles Palliser: The Quincunx.

I'm in a 12 step program for reading. Don't laugh, I get SUCKED in and if it's a really good book I don't eat or sleep (you don't even want to know about how the kids fare). I'm lucky, my DH has the same affliction, so we tag team reading books when he is at home. I can get through a 1200 page book in 36 hours. Sad I know.

But I can give great reviews:
The Outlander Seires was mentioned and I have read all 6 of them so many times the paperback's I have are duct taped.
Penmarick - I don't know the author, my copy started to disinagrate.
ANYTHING C.S. Lewis
Savages by Shirley Conran
The Left Behind Series
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (My middle son is named Augustus)
Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein
Friday by Robert Heinlein
The Merlin Series by Mary Stewart
Cider House Rules by John Irving - actuall all the books of his I've read are good.
ANY Ann Rice book
Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge

I'll stop now. :D

Crystal Patton said:
I'm in a 12 step program for reading. Don't laugh, I get SUCKED in and if it's a really good book I don't eat or sleep (you don't even want to know about how the kids fare). I'm lucky, my DH has the same affliction, so we tag team reading books when he is at home. I can get through a 1200 page book in 36 hours. Sad I know.

But I can give great reviews:
The Outlander Seires was mentioned and I have read all 6 of them so many times the paperback's I have are duct taped.
Penmarick - I don't know the author, my copy started to disinagrate.
ANYTHING C.S. Lewis
Savages by Shirley Conran
The Left Behind Series
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (My middle son is named Augustus)
Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein
Friday by Robert Heinlein

The Merlin Series by Mary Stewart
Cider House Rules by John Irving - actuall all the books of his I've read are good.
ANY Ann Rice book
Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge

I'll stop now. :D

I love Robert Heinlein! I've read Friday twice. My favorite is Farnham's Freehold... I've read it about 5 or 6 times! I just love science fiction!

I don't even know how I missed this thread! I LOVE to read, always been one of my passions. I am currently reading the Left Behind series, almost done! I love reading series or authors with a lot of books because it's great to keep going. Some of my favorites are:
Anne Rice - I'm a weirdo vampire person, love these kind of books and she's a great visual writer.
Sidney Sheldon - My sister got me hooked with a Christmas gift of one of his books as a teen. I know own every book he has ever wrote. Great stories, his stories always include women as the main characters and they always come out victorious.
Stephen King - Once again, big horror person, love his style of writing. Read several of his books several times (including the really thick ones!)
Dennis Lehane (wrote Gone Baby, Gone which was made into a movie plus others) - Great mystery novels!
Stephanie Meyers - I was sad when Anne Rice stopped writing vampire stories. Stephanie picks up where she left off. But needs to get more books out. I flew through the series!I just saw the Notebook for the first time last weekend with my sister and then found out it was a book from a coworker, I think he'll be the next author I read!

I have read The Shack and The Choice both recently....Both were EXCELLENT reads. Only takes a few days to get through each. If you are just looking for a stress reliever...try Spohie Kinsella. She is hilarious.

cutiechic said:
I have read The Shack and The Choice both recently....Both were EXCELLENT reads. Only takes a few days to get through each. If you are just looking for a stress reliever...try Spohie Kinsella. She is hilarious.

I am just reading some of her books right now. Hilarious! The first one I read was The Undomestic Goddess, and it made me laugh out loud!

Oh my I know!! I have read everyhting she has out there...let's just say sometimes I need a humor kick!!! She is witty and funny all in one.

cutiechic said:
Oh my I know!! I have read everyhting she has out there...let's just say sometimes I need a humor kick!!! She is witty and funny all in one.

I just finished The Shopoholic and Sister, and loved it. Her books are my "night reading" right now. You know, at night, when you just can't deal with anything deep or thought-provoking, and you need something light-hearted and fun!

ChefBeckyD said:
I just finished The Shopoholic and Sister, and loved it. Her books are my "night reading" right now. You know, at night, when you just can't deal with anything deep or thought-provoking, and you need something light-hearted and fun!

I read Rants & Raves on my local Craigslist. If you don't take them seriously they are soo funny.

Crystal Patton said:
:D

lol! This is how my Mom is (though I have my days upon days of reading occasionally too). If my Mom gets a Danielle Steel book in her hands, it's all over with! lol Which, there is a new Danielle Steel coming out this Tuesday for those of you who are fans. I'll be picking it up for Mom.

1. What are some of your favorite books?

Some of my favorite books include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.

2. What book are you currently reading?

Right now, I am reading "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah. It's a historical fiction about two sisters living in France during World War II.

3. What book are you looking forward to reading soon?

I'm really excited to read "Becoming" by Michelle Obama. I've heard great things about it and I'm always interested in reading memoirs.

4. How do you find new books to read?

I usually ask friends and family for recommendations, or I'll browse through bookstores and online reviews. I also follow book bloggers and bookstagrammers on social media for ideas.

5. Do you have any favorite genres or authors?

I love historical fiction, classics, and contemporary fiction. Some of my favorite authors include Jodi Picoult, Celeste Ng, and Liane Moriarty.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bsaxman
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Brandi2007
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • The_Kitchen_Guy