• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Make a Blooming Onion: Recipes & Kits!

In summary, the recipe for a Bloomin' Onion is to slice an onion like a pie, soak it in ice water for 1/2 hr., and then dip it in flour mixture and buttermilk. Fry it until golden.
kitchenqueen
I heard you can make the blooming onion using the apple wedger. I can see how - but does anyone have the recipe or any recipe for a blooming onion? I also noticed at Wal-Mart the other day that they sell a blooming onion kit in the produce section. Anyway, I thought that would be a fun appetizer to have out at some shows. Any help would be appreciated!! :D

Bloomin' Onion RecipeHere is a recipe for a Bloomin' Onion. It is claimed to be the Outback Original Recipe, but I can't verify if it actually is. I have not made this, since it is deep fried, and I don't really care to do much of that. (Too messy, and too fattening!) I have always wanted to try baking it to see how it would turn out. Just never seem to have the time to experiment. Hope this helps atleast spark some ideas. The dipping sauce sounds good. :) Maybe someone else may have some other versions or some added advice. Good Luck!

Attachments

• Outback Steakhouse Bloomin Onion Recipe.doc
    23 KB · Views: 901
Erica~
I found this on this website

Attachments

• Weight Watchers Blooming Onion recipe.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 692
Chili's Awesome BlossomI used to love these, especially the sauce. This isn't an official recipe, however, so I can't attest to this since I haven't tried it yet.

Chili's Awesome Blossom

Ease of Cooking: Experienced Cook
Serving Size: 4-6

Notes:
This is similar to Chili's Awesome Blossom.

Ingredients:
1 Prepared Onion
2 1/2 C. Flour
2 tsp McCormick Seasoned Salt
1/2 tsp. Coarsely Ground Pepper
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 C. Butter Milk

Preparation:
Mix all dry ingredients together. Onion may be sliced like a blossom by cutting the top 1/4 off, the top has the stem. Then peel and be very careful to leave the root intact. Carefully slice from the top of the onion down but stop about 1/2" before you get to the root, taking care not to cut through the root. Slice the rest of the onion like a pie into many servings. When complete soak onion in cold ice water for 1/2 hr. so the onion's petals will start to open up and bloom. Drain onion and dip in flour mixture and dust well. Dip onion then in buttermilk and back in flour mixture. Place in hot oil and fry until golden. Oil should cover onion. When done drain well and place on plate and cut center out of onion so the petals may easily be removed.

Dipping Sauce

1/2 C. Sour Cream
2 Tbsp. Catsup
1/2 tsp. McCormick Seasoned Salt
1/8 tsp. Red Pepper
1 1/2 tsp. Fresh Horseradish
1/4 tsp. Paprika

Mix all together and serve in the middle of the onion blossom. Garnish with paprika and just a dash of red pepper.

Hi there! Yes, it is possible to make a blooming onion using the apple wedger, but there are also other methods and tools you can use as well. As for a recipe, there are many variations out there, but here is a basic one to get you started:Ingredients:
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Vegetable oil for fryingInstructions:
1. Cut off the top of the onion, leaving the root intact. Peel the skin off the onion.
2. Use the apple wedger to make cuts around the onion, about 1/2 inch apart.
3. In a bowl, mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and mix in the milk.
5. Dip the onion in the egg mixture, making sure to coat it well.
6. Then dip the onion in the flour mixture, again making sure to coat it well.
7. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 375 degrees.
8. Carefully place the onion in the oil and fry for about 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Remove the onion from the oil and let it drain on a paper towel.
10. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy your homemade blooming onion!I hope this helps! As for the blooming onion kit at Wal-Mart, it could be a convenient option, but making it from scratch is always a fun and impressive way to go. Let me know how it turns out for you! Happy cooking!

What ingredients are needed to make a blooming onion?

To make a blooming onion, you will need one large onion, flour, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, and your choice of seasonings.

Is there a specific type of onion that works best for a blooming onion?

A large, sweet onion such as a Vidalia or Walla Walla onion works best for a blooming onion.

Are there any tips for cutting the onion in order to achieve the blooming effect?

Yes, it is important to make cuts in the onion in a specific pattern in order to achieve the blooming effect. It is recommended to use a sharp knife and make cuts about 1/2 inch apart, starting at the top of the onion.

Can I make a blooming onion without a deep fryer?

Yes, you can make a blooming onion in the oven. Simply preheat your oven to 375 degrees and bake the onion for 30-35 minutes, or until the outer layer is crispy and the onion is cooked through.

What is included in the Pampered Chef Blooming Onion Kit?

The Pampered Chef Blooming Onion Kit includes a handy onion corer and a breading tray, making it easy to achieve the perfect blooming onion every time. It also includes a recipe card with step-by-step instructions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • byrd1956
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci