• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Could Be Causing Black Powder Residue on my Garlic Press?

In summary, the customer's garlic press may be experiencing residue similar to black powder on fresh garlic due to environmental factors such as the press being placed in the dishwasher. The customer was referred to customer service.
RossDeb2
Gold Member
I have a customer that has a garlic press purchased years ago, that has a black powder residue all over it. It coats her hands when she tries to use it. (I'm not sure why she did not send it back right away?) Has anyone seen a powdery residue like this on any of our products?

I've never seen or heard of anything like that. I do know that sometimes the metal will leave black marks on things, but that's not a black powder.

I know black powder on fresh garlic is mold. Has she been using old garlic?

No. She said that it was fine for a while and then it just appeared. It was enough to cover her hands when using it. I referred her to customer service.

I'm going to guess it's environmental - not anything to do with the product itself. I would have sent her to customer service too - let them tell her that it's not PC's issue. Lol

I've seen that happen with the ice cream dipper if it's been put in a dishwasher. Maybe the same kind of thing?

BTW: I saw an ice cream dipper on eBay for sale and the pic looked like it was old, darkened, and discolored like it had been in the DW - what people try to sell! [shaking head] And I bet someone buys it too.

BethCooks4U said:
I've seen that happen with the ice cream dipper if it's been put in a dishwasher. Maybe the same kind of thing?QUOTE]

I put my garlic press in the dishwasher all the time. Are you not supposed to?

Jenn822 said:
BethCooks4U said:
I've seen that happen with the ice cream dipper if it's been put in a dishwasher. Maybe the same kind of thing?QUOTE]

I put my garlic press in the dishwasher all the time. Are you not supposed to?

Yes. It is dishwasher safe. I was just trying to find reasons it would have happened and I know the ice cream scoop (also metal) has that happen.

BethCooks4U said:
Jenn822 said:
Yes. It is dishwasher safe. I was just trying to find reasons it would have happened and I know the ice cream scoop (also metal) has that happen.

Oh okay. Good. Lol. =)

I've heard of that happening with the ice cream scoop too. That's just odd with the garlic press though.... hmmm...

I had a garlic press (non PC) that did get a black powder residue as you describe, on it. And I did put it in the DW all the time....this was before I was introduced to PC and shown the error of my ways when it comes to kitchen tools :D I threw my non PC one away and got myself a "proper" garlic press:D

Perhaps the old PC garlic presses were not supposed to go in DW - you mentioned it was purchased years ago....how many versions has PC made? Just taking a stab in the dark here....

D.

I am totally perplexed and curious to hear what HO says.

The same thing is happening to me with my very old garlic press. I usually don’t Put it in the dishwasher but my children recently have. It is over 15 to 18 years old. And now my garlic is even starting to come out with some residue on it besides my hands. How do I get in touch with customer service?

RossDeb2 said:
I have a customer that has a garlic press purchased years ago, that has a black powder residue all over it. It coats her hands when she tries to use it. (I'm not sure why she did not send it back right away?) Has anyone seen a powdery residue like this on any of our products?
Yes! The same thing is happening to both of my zyliss garlic presses which I purchased years ago. When I take it out of the dishwasher, it coats my hands with black powder. When I use it, it gets on the food. I think it must be the newer detergent that I'm using in my dishwasher. It's really hard to get it off now.

1. What is black powder on a garlic press?

Black powder on a garlic press refers to a black residue or buildup that can form on the metal parts of the press after repeated use. It is a combination of garlic oils, food particles, and oxidation that can be difficult to remove.

2. Is black powder on a garlic press harmful?

No, black powder on a garlic press is not harmful. It is simply a buildup of natural substances and can be easily removed with proper cleaning techniques.

3. How do I prevent black powder from forming on my garlic press?

To prevent black powder from forming on your garlic press, make sure to clean it thoroughly after each use. Also, avoid leaving garlic residue on the press for extended periods of time, as this can contribute to the buildup.

4. How do I clean black powder off my garlic press?

To clean black powder off your garlic press, use a mixture of hot water and dish soap. Let the press soak in the mixture for a few minutes, then scrub with a brush or sponge. You can also use a mixture of baking soda and water to scrub away the buildup.

5. Can I use a garlic press with black powder on it?

Yes, you can still use a garlic press with black powder on it. However, it is recommended to clean off the buildup regularly to prevent it from affecting the flavor of your food or making it difficult to use the press.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scrappergirl7
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scrappergirl7
Replies
Views
Chef Laurie
Replies
Views
Staci