1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Black powder on garlic press?

1. RossDeb2

RossDeb2 Member Gold Member

I have a customer that has a garlic press purchased years ago, that has a black powder residue all over it. It coats her hands when she tries to use it. (I'm not sure why she did not send it back right away?) Has anyone seen a powdery residue like this on any of our products?

Sep 22, 2010
  2. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I've never seen or heard of anything like that. I do know that sometimes the metal will leave black marks on things, but that's not a black powder.

Sep 22, 2010
  3. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

I know black powder on fresh garlic is mold. Has she been using old garlic?

Sep 22, 2010
  4. RossDeb2

RossDeb2 Member Gold Member

No. She said that it was fine for a while and then it just appeared. It was enough to cover her hands when using it. I referred her to customer service.

Sep 23, 2010
  5. Jenn822

Jenn822 Member

I'm going to guess it's environmental - not anything to do with the product itself. I would have sent her to customer service too - let them tell her that it's not PC's issue. Lol

Sep 23, 2010
  6. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

I've seen that happen with the ice cream dipper if it's been put in a dishwasher. Maybe the same kind of thing?

BTW: I saw an ice cream dipper on eBay for sale and the pic looked like it was old, darkened, and discolored like it had been in the DW - what people try to sell! [shaking head] And I bet someone buys it too.

Sep 23, 2010
  7. Jenn822

Jenn822 Member

Sep 23, 2010
  8. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2010
  9. Jenn822

Jenn822 Member

Sep 23, 2010
  10. debbie mc

debbie mc Member

I had a garlic press (non PC) that did get a black powder residue as you describe, on it. And I did put it in the DW all the time....this was before I was introduced to PC and shown the error of my ways when it comes to kitchen tools :D I threw my non PC one away and got myself a "proper" garlic press:D

Perhaps the old PC garlic presses were not supposed to go in DW - you mentioned it was purchased years ago....how many versions has PC made? Just taking a stab in the dark here....

D.

Sep 23, 2010
  11. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

I am totally perplexed and curious to hear what HO says.

Sep 23, 2010
Have something to add?