• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Decadent Black Forest Trifle Recipe with Chocolate and Cherry Layers

but is there such thing as a 9 oz devil's food cake mix?Yes, there is. One brand is Jiffy. It's also the size that's called for in the Lemon Mini Cakes for the Spring theme shows. (Buy Jiffy brand - it's made in Michigan!)Thanks I figured Jiffy . . .but never new they made cake mixes too though just muffins Nope, cake, frosting, general baking mix (like Bisquick), muffins... The non-muffin mixes can be tricky to find outside Michigan, though.
K_Jurich
I just have a question for the Black forest trifle the recipe is:
Black Forest Trifle

1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup cranberry cherry juice
2 cups cold milk
2 pkgs (3.3 oz) white chocolate instant pudding & pie filling
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping thawed

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut an 8 1/2 square parchment paper and lay in bottom of square baker. Prepare cake mix according to package, spread over bottom of baker. Bake 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center come out clean. cool completely.

2. Loosen cake from sides of baker and invert cake onto cutting board. Cut cake into 1 inch cubes set aside. Chop 1 1/2 of chocolate bars using food chopper. Reserve remaining chocolate for garnishing.

3. Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl, remove 1/2 cup f or garnishing and set aside. Stir juice in cherry pie filling in classic batter bowl.

4. Pour milk into classic batter bowl, whisk in pudding mixes until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in whipped topping.

5. To assemble trifle, place half of the cake in bottom of Trifle Bowl. Layer half of the cherry pie filling mixture evenly over cake cubes. Sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate; top with half of the pudding mixture, pressing lightly. Repeat Layers.

6. Garnish top of trifle with reserved cherry pie filling and chocolate curls made with reserved chocolate. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.

10 servings.

So my question is in step 3 it says 3. Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl, remove 1/2 cup f or garnishing and set aside. Stir juice in cherry pie filling in classic batter bowl.

Do it mix it in the small batter bowl then put it in the classic to mix in the jucie or just mix in the classic and remove the 1/2 cup to the small then mix in the juice. I am trying to step this up to do it in stations for the guest to do. We did a stations show at my meeting this week and I loved the way it work So I am trying to do it with this recipe.

I think it's a typo, Kara. The juice should go into the large amount of pie filling. Don't dirty more dishes than you have to.

So then you think it should
Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl,and the juice then remove 1/2 cup f or garnishing and set aside. Instead of :
Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl, remove 1/2 cup f or garnishing and set aside. Stir juice in cherry pie filling in classic batter bowl.

I think it should be:
Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl; remove 1/2 cup for garnishing and set aside. Stir juice into cherry pie filling in small batter bowl.

Sounds good to me thank you.

ooooh, this is my favorite trifle:love: Most of the time, I forget to add the juice; still tastes yum-o!

Yep that was a typo on my part! Sorry!!!:angel:

I also had been pondering the thought of how on earth I was going to bake a cake in the square bake without it over flowing all over my oven. . .Well my DH just got back from the store and I now see how. . .because the recipe calls for a 9oz box of devil's food cake mix and a normal cake mix is 18.25 oz well. . .I have never seen a smaller size box of cake mix. So I am just going to make it and only put half in there. But Is there such thing as a 9 oz devil's food cake mix?

Yes, there is. One brand is Jiffy. It's also the size that's called for in the Lemon Mini Cakes for the Spring theme shows. (Buy Jiffy brand - it's made in Michigan!)

Thanks I figured Jiffy . . .but never new they made cake mixes too thought just muffins

Nope, cake, frosting, general baking mix (like Bisquick), muffins... The non-muffin mixes can be tricky to find outside Michigan, though.

K_Jurich said:
I also had been pondering the thought of how on earth I was going to bake a cake in the square bake without it over flowing all over my oven. . .Well my DH just got back from the store and I now see how. . .because the recipe calls for a 9oz box of devil's food cake mix and a normal cake mix is 18.25 oz well. . .I have never seen a smaller size box of cake mix. So I am just going to make it and only put half in there. But Is there such thing as a 9 oz devil's food cake mix?

OMG!!:eek: :cry:

I have been doing this recipe forever and have done it at my shows this month! I always use a regular devils food cake mix...never even noticed the size!! HA HA!! :rolleyes: And yes, a regular cake mix will fit in the square baker just fine!

Guess I should read all the fine print on the directions!!!;)

It works just fine with a regular size cake mix!! Just so you know! Because in our area we just have Jiffy cornbread, muffins...more muffins and yellow cake...no chocolate!

Don't worry I bake cakes in the square baker all the time! It's about the only pan I have to works for cakes.

Well . . .I did this at my show last night and WOW WHAT A HIT. I set the hole thing up in to 4 stations and split everyone up into groups to work at each station . It was such fun everyone had a great time. It was my first interactive show. AND I LOVED IT and I think everyone else did too.
Oh . . . Question in the recipe it says 2 boxs of the pudding 3.3 oz each but my host couldn't find them so she go 3 1 oz boxes which was ok but when I read the box it called for 2 cups milk per box so I figured the recipe would work out because it really calls for 2~3.3oz boxes to 2 cups of milk, and she got 3~1 oz boxes . . .IDK but how ever it worked out we added the 2 cups milk like the recipe called for but it was WAY TOO THICK so we added some more milk. So is it a typo ? Just curious because I have 3 more shows to do and would so LOVE to do it again at one of those shows since it worked out so well.

She must have gotten sugar free pudding. Only use two boxes, not 3. The recipe calls for 2 regular pudding, thus you would only use 2 boxes of sugar free pudding.:)

Yes it was sugar free . . .but like I said we added extra milk and it all worked out ok. Thanks

K_Jurich said:
I just have a question for the Black forest trifle the recipe is:
Black Forest Trifle

1 tsp almond extract1/2 cup cranberry cherry juice
2 cups cold milk
2 pkgs (3.3 oz) white chocolate instant pudding & pie filling
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping thawed

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut an 8 1/2 square parchment paper and lay in bottom of square baker. Prepare cake mix according to package, spread over bottom of baker. Bake 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center come out clean. cool completely.

2. Loosen cake from sides of baker and invert cake onto cutting board. Cut cake into 1 inch cubes set aside. Chop 1 1/2 of chocolate bars using food chopper. Reserve remaining chocolate for garnishing.

3. Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl, remove 1/2 cup f or garnishing and set aside. Stir juice in cherry pie filling in classic batter bowl.

4. Pour milk into classic batter bowl, whisk in pudding mixes until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in whipped topping.

5. To assemble trifle, place half of the cake in bottom of Trifle Bowl. Layer half of the cherry pie filling mixture evenly over cake cubes. Sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate; top with half of the pudding mixture, pressing lightly. Repeat Layers.

6. Garnish top of trifle with reserved cherry pie filling and chocolate curls made with reserved chocolate. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.

10 servings.

So my question is in step 3 it says 3. Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl, remove 1/2 cup f or garnishing and set aside. Stir juice in cherry pie filling in classic batter bowl.

Do it mix it in the small batter bowl then put it in the classic to mix in the jucie or just mix in the classic and remove the 1/2 cup to the small then mix in the juice. I am trying to step this up to do it in stations for the guest to do. We did a stations show at my meeting this week and I loved the way it work So I am trying to do it with this recipe.

Just remember to tell everyone that it contains the almond extract - if they are allergic to nuts - they will need to know this

:chef:

1. What is the traditional recipe for Black Forest Trifle?

The traditional recipe for Black Forest Trifle includes layers of chocolate cake, cherry pie filling, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream. It is then topped with shaved chocolate and more cherries.

2. Can I substitute the chocolate cake with a different type of cake?

Yes, you can substitute the chocolate cake with a different type of cake such as vanilla or angel food. However, the chocolate cake adds a rich and decadent flavor to the trifle.

3. Can I use canned cherries instead of cherry pie filling?

Yes, you can use canned cherries instead of cherry pie filling. Simply drain the canned cherries and use them as a layer in the trifle. You can also add a little sugar to the cherries for added sweetness.

4. How far in advance can I make Black Forest Trifle?

You can make Black Forest Trifle up to 24 hours in advance. However, it is best to assemble the trifle no more than 2-3 hours before serving to prevent the cake from getting too soggy.

5. Can I make a healthier version of Black Forest Trifle?

Yes, you can make a healthier version of Black Forest Trifle by using low-fat or sugar-free ingredients. For example, you can use low-fat chocolate cake, sugar-free cherry pie filling, and light whipped cream. You can also add fresh cherries for added nutrition.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • RMDave
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
RMDave
Replies
Views
sharalam