• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Tips for Perfectly Browned Biscuits: Your Questions Answered

In summary, the recipe calls for melting butter and tossing in raw dough to coat. The pan should be turned off and left to sit until it's time to demo. Bisquits are cut into quarters and served on a SA medium square. There is a chance that the bisquits will not be cooked through if they are not browned in the pan. People seem to enjoy the bisquits and the silicone gloves that Mary has are a big hit.
its_me_susan
I tried these the other night.... I didn't realize I had to preheat the oven (shame on me for not rereading the recipe before trying it). So I "browned" the dough a bit on the skillet. That could have been the problem, but I have these questions that I hope you can answer:

How high do you keep the temperature of the pan when sauteing?

How brown should the dough become in the pan before transfering to the oven?

What size pan do you use, and what size (how many bisquits) dough?

I had alot of the "melted butter" left in the pan when I slid mine out - - did this mean they weren't ready?

Mine were the texture of almost croutons with a softer center.... where my pieces too small?

How do you serve these when you slide them out of the pan?

THANK YOU!
Susan :)

I've been doing this demo since I found it on this site and I love it! I'll answer all your questions that I can.

How high do you keep the temperature of the pan when sauteing?

I don't really know if it matters. I just melt the butter and then turn the heat off and let it sit until I'm ready to do the demo.

How brown should the dough become in the pan before transfering to the oven?

The way I do this recipe, it's not brown at all. I just put it in the oven raw. Maybe I've been doing it wrong and someone will let us know!

What size pan do you use, and what size (how many bisquits) dough?

The small professional skillet is what I've been using. I use the small can of bicuits- I think it's 8.

I had alot of the "melted butter" left in the pan when I slid mine out - - did this mean they weren't ready?

I don't know what this means. Maybe if they had cooked longer more would have been absorbed, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine were the texture of almost croutons with a softer center.... where my pieces too small?

I cut the raw biscuits into quarters- this is a good size.

How do you serve these when you slide them out of the pan?

I slide them out onto a SA medium square and people come and help themselves. I guess we could use the bamboo tongs for serving- I think I'll put that out with them from now on.

I'm sure Susan and I would appreciate more input if anyone wants to chime in!

Hey, Susan!

I sent you a PM yesterday, but it looks like Nora has you pretty well covered. :) Let me know if you have any other questions,

Mary

I don't really know if it matters. I just melt the butter and then turn the heat off and let it sit until I'm ready to do the demo.

So you melt the butter, then just toss in the raw dough to coat, and put it right in? Ok that sounds easier. How soon before the guests start arriving? Do the biscuits puff up or stay the same size as they were raw? (I think maybe my sauteing them might have "sealed" them). Thank you so much for responding!

chefmary said:
Hey, Susan!

I sent you a PM yesterday, but it looks like Nora has you pretty well covered. :) Let me know if you have any other questions,

Mary

Thanks Mary! Let me see if I can figure out how to get messages. :)

So you melt the butter, then just toss in the raw dough to coat, and put it right in? Ok that sounds easier. How soon before the guests start arriving? Do the biscuits puff up or stay the same size as they were raw? (I think maybe my sauteing them might have "sealed" them). Thank you so much for responding![/QUOTE]

That's right. I also press a couple cloves of garlic in there, and add a teaspoon of Italian Seasoning mix. Then I stir it all up with a bamboo spoon or scraper. I guess I usually do it 15 minutes or so before guests start arriving- just at some point while setting up. The biscuits do puff up.

People love it! I'm also looking forward to trying the recipe with cinnamon and sugar. Does anyone know how much of each of those to use?

I have to add that I haven't actually sold any of the cookware yet in response to doing this demo, but I know it will pay off. It gives me a great excuse to talk about it. I also get to show off the trivets (or the silicone gloves, which I will have soon.) I've done the demo three times so far, and plan to do it at each show. It's a pretty cheap little bonus demo.

Thanks so much! I'm going to try them again tomorrow!

Love those thingsThe garlic bites are sooooo good, and show off alot of product for the amount of effort! I absolutely love the idea of cinnamon and sugar bites, what a great a idea! I am going to experiment with quantities this week, but probably a tsp cinnamon and tablespoon of sugar, mixed and tossed with the butter coated biscuit pieces?

Pan biscuitsI love these! I don't have a pan yet to demo them, but i make them in my cast iron skillet for my family - quick, fresh garlic bread. I got the recipe from this board, from a post by ScottCooks entitled 'Recipes that sell products"

BISCUIT APPETIZER - sells "try me" pan - Prof. 8" Saute - Cookware
(go buy a single burner $12 at WalMart, Wallgreen, Osco, SavOn, etc.)
Professional 8" Saute Pan (or Gen II if that's what you have)
Choose to make either a <<SWEET or..................>>a SAVORY recipe:
1/2 stick butter or margarine melting on LOW heat
Sweet - half of...2 tsp cinnamon & 1/4 c sugar in FSS......Savory - 2 cloves garlic with GP
Sweet - 1 apple with APCS, quartered...........................Savory - 1 tsp Pantry Ital. Seasoning
Mix above with butter - then for either recipe, a tube of Pillsb. GRANDS biscuts, any style...Quarter each biscuit (easiest to do when cold) using your KS right into the pan. Turn to coat all surfaces with butter mixture.
Sweet - add about 1/4 of cin/sug mixture from FSS.........Savory - opt. to add some sliced roma or pear tomato using USG and/or fresh snipped basil and/or parsley
Place Entire Pan in 350 oven for 22 mins -- recipe must be DARK Golden Brown so inside is cooked. Turn out onto Med. SA square.
Sweet - add rest of cin/sug mixture from FSS.................Savory - top with a little grated Parmesan using USG or CGP or new MP

OMGosh try using the CHEDDAR biscuits if you can find them! YUM-MY! I just wrote to PC to see if they will add these to a recipe book. EVERYONE wanted the cookbook!

Stove top version of biscuit demo??Wasn't there a version of this recipe done on the stove top? I'm doing a show at a college dorm and she just has a microwave and a hot plate.

Thanks!

Beth,
It starts on the stove top, but then you bake it. Most dorms have a mini- shared kitchen somewhere.... do they? Toasteroven might work as well.

Garlic biteI'm not sure if that's what you guys are talking about, but basically, I too, cut my biscuits in quarter using the pizza cutter (I demo this recipe 'cause it's fast and easy and a lot of products), beforehand, I melt about 2 tbps of butter (remember they already have a lot of butter in them, use a small amount to coat, otherwise, you will have leftover butter!), then use my garlic press with 3 to 5 cloves, and freshly grated parmesan cheese, let it bake for about 18 min. and voila!!!!

fatchef said:
I'm not sure if that's what you guys are talking about, but basically, I too, cut my biscuits in quarter using the pizza cutter (I demo this recipe 'cause it's fast and easy and a lot of products), beforehand, I melt about 2 tbps of butter (remember they already have a lot of butter in them, use a small amount to coat, otherwise, you will have leftover butter!), then use my garlic press with 3 to 5 cloves, and freshly grated parmesan cheese, let it bake for about 18 min. and voila!!!!

2 TBS of butter! Great, thanks you! I was going to try half a stick of butter. :)

1. How can I prevent my biscuits from spreading too much while baking?

One tip to prevent spreading is to make sure your butter or shortening is cold and solid when mixing it into the dough. This will help create steam pockets in the biscuits, resulting in a fluffier and less spread out texture.

2. Can I use a different type of flour for my biscuits?

Yes, you can experiment with different types of flour such as whole wheat or almond flour. Just keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be slightly different from using traditional all-purpose flour.

3. How do I know when my biscuits are done baking?

The best way to tell if your biscuits are done is to check the color and texture. The tops should be golden brown and the bottoms should be light brown. You can also insert a toothpick into the center of a biscuit, and if it comes out clean, they are ready to be taken out of the oven.

4. Can I use a different type of fat, such as oil, in my biscuit dough?

Using a solid fat like butter or shortening is recommended for the best texture and flavor in biscuits. If you do use oil, make sure it is a neutral-flavored oil, and the texture may be slightly different.

5. How can I make my biscuits more flavorful?

You can add herbs, spices, cheese, or even bacon bits to your biscuit dough for extra flavor. You can also brush the tops with melted butter or sprinkle with sea salt before baking for added flavor. Just be careful not to add too many additional ingredients, as it can affect the texture of the biscuits.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PCSarahjm
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
Replies
Views
chefsteph07
  • jenniferlynne
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies