• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Top Conference Tip: How Moleskin Can Save Your Feet During Events

In summary, this expert recommends bringing Moleskin, breaking free, and packing light to avoid weight restrictions. They also suggest shipping your surprise boxes home.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I know Rae is having fun posting daily tips in Wave 1 but I thought I would make one thread with a bunch of tips from everyone. This can be a business tip, a travel tip, first timers tip, etc.

My all time favorite item to bring with me on any vacation, conference, etc is Moleskin. It's found in the foot aid section of your local pharmacy or Walmart store. It works great for shoes that rub and cause blisters. It's made to put on your foot on a "hot" spot so that you don't end up with a blister. You can also cut them with a hole in the middle if you already have a blister to protect it from popping. My favorite thing to do with it is to actually put it inside of my problem shoes. I have a favorite pair of sandels that have a horrible plastic label that wore on my feet every time I had them on. I cut two peices of Moleskin to the size of the tag and no longer have problems. I also have an old pair of sneakers that I refuse to give up but the back was wearing out so badly that the plastic support was digging into my heal. I put that inside of the shoe and no longer have a problem.

This is a great product for conference because of ALL the walking you have to do!

Here's one - leave extra space in your suitcase and stash an extra one in there, if you can. I did that last year and they were full when I came back because of the surprise packs I bought. I plan on having even more space this year so I can buy more surprise packs!!! :D

My best tip is to break free. If you are going with clustermates, don't feel obligated to stay with them the whole time. Go to different workshops from them, network and meet people, and have fun! You see your clustermates every month. This is your chance to rub shoulders with the successful consultants whose names you see in the CN every month and to get ideas and inspiration from consultants across the country.

PChefPEI said:
Here's one - leave extra space in your suitcase and stash an extra one in there, if you can. I did that last year and they were full when I came back because of the surprise packs I bought. I plan on having even more space this year so I can buy more surprise packs!!! :D

Better yet, take a suitcase with you that expands. I have one and it's wonderful. You pack normal and when you head back home you unzip part of the bag and it expands so you can stuff all your goodies in there. You won't have to pay an extra baggage fee either!

DebbieJ said:
My best tip is to break free. If you are going with clustermates, don't feel obligated to stay with them the whole time. Go to different workshops from them, network and meet people, and have fun!
I'm so excited to have a chance to do that this year! There are so few people going from my AD's cluster, that even if we do meet up, there's only 5 of us. I'm so going to pick the brains of the people who I end up next to at general sessions, meals, etc.

smspamperedchef said:
Better yet, take a suitcase with you that expands. I have one and it's wonderful. You pack normal and when you head back home you unzip part of the bag and it expands so you can stuff all your goodies in there. You won't have to pay an extra baggage fee either!
Beware of weight restrictions. Many airlines are also charging for a second bag.You're better off shipping your surprise boxes home and adding any paperwork or Merrill purchases to that box.

DebbieJ said:
My best tip is to break free. If you are going with clustermates, don't feel obligated to stay with them the whole time. Go to different workshops from them, network and meet people, and have fun! You see your clustermates every month. This is your chance to rub shoulders with the successful consultants whose names you see in the CN every month and to get ideas and inspiration from consultants across the country.

Great tip! I'm the only going from my immediate cluster so I don't really have that many people to hang out with.

Here's one I haven't posted on the Wave 1 Countdown thread: Go with an open mind.I know that the ideas at NC can be (1) waaaay outside your comfort zone or (2) basics you've heard before. Either way, embrace them with an open mind.It makes you uncomfortable? Good. Figure out how you can make it work for you, then love it for a set length of time. I'm serious. Really love it for that time. At the end of that time (usually I choose 3-6 months), evaluate. Not working? Ditch it. Need tweeking? Tweek it. Working great? Make it permanent.Basics you've heard before? Maybe you need to revisit the fundamentals. i mean, you know you're supposed to make those CCCs. Do you actually make them? You know that follow-up is important. Do you have a consistent system for following up?The worst thing you can do is go to NC with a bad attitude and a closed mind.

My old senior director use to tell us to make sure we didn't wait to the last minute and stay up packing all night, the night before we left for our the trip to conference. She said to get our hineys to bed and get some sleep, because sometimes sleep comes in short supply at conference! She said that a good nights sleep the night before we leave sets us up for a wonderful conference experience and minimizes (sp?) complete exhaustion!:);)

Don't over pack. I took a train from Indiana and had to do a lot of walking with my suitcases and bags. I also had to very quickly get the bags down from the rack above me to get off the train. I brought way too much. Lesson learned. ONE rolling suitcase for me and my purse. I think I'll use the hairdryer in the bathroom even though those little ones scare me. (I've gotten my hair caught in one before. Ouch!)

This is why I refuse to have any suitcase that doesn't have wheels.I think I will have almost nothing in my carry-on. Trial sizes, a change of clothes, and my travel purse.

Remember to have your Chef Success button on your purse, or shirt, or bag...whatever. It's how I got to meet Amanda (PamperedAlf) at Leadership. :)

Don't overpack - and don't stress about what to pack!
If you leave something out, you can pick it up in Chicago.

Bandaids in your wallet or purse!!
Drink your water
Make a real effort to meet new people.
Step out of your comfort zone and be the person who says hi first
Invite a lone consultant to sit with you or eat with you.
Listen and share
Keep a few bucks in your pocket for tips, taxis, etc
Don't take a lot to McCormich Place. We generally get bags, etc and why weigh yourself down. I leave the big purse at home or in the hotel and take the just basics: Water, debit card, a few dollars, lip gloss (hey, a gal has to look good, you never know who you might meet) and cell phone.
Speaking of cell phones...PLEASE, put your cell phone on giggle or vibrate. Don't know how to do that? Spend the next few days figuring it out. If you can figure out PP3, you can switch your phone to vibrate. And another cell phone related issue, please no texting or chatting on it during the workshops. It's distracting and we are there to learn, not hear where you are meeting so and so and what's going on at home. Sorry to be a B*tC^y about this, but it's annoying.
Bring a sweater, it gets cold at McCormick Place.

That's all I got for you.
Oh, one last thing, have fun.

Network! Meet new people and take good notes at the workshops.

Best tip: Pick something from each session/workshop and make an action plan to do 3 new things from what you learned. Once those are your habit go back to your notes and pick 3 more. It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the great information and then do nothing with it.

PS: Love the moleskin tip!

BethCooks4U said:
Best tip: Pick something from each session/workshop and make an action plan to do 3 new things from what you learned. Once those are your habit go back to your notes and pick 3 more. It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the great information and then do nothing with it.

PC will be putting a bright yellow page in everyone's registration packet with space for that very info! They are making it easy for you to take what you learn at conference and apply it to your business. I guess at Regionals you all got a Tic Tac Toe or something similar?

BethCooks4U said:
Network! Meet new people and take good notes at the workshops.

Moleskin is my favorite thing in the world. It works wonders. I learned that tip years ago on my first backpacking trip. Ducktape also works on hot spots but moleskin is a little nicer than gray ducktape

This was written about last year, but it is worth a reminder. If you bring your laptop, please do not bring it to your classes for taking notes. The click click click is very distracting. Especially for those in the back of a conference class. Hearing the speakers can sometimes be a little hard and the clicking sound makes it worse.

Oh, that brings up another point. Try to sit in the front of your classes. You can hear and see so much better.
Thanks!
Lisa

ChefLisa said:
This was written about last year, but it is worth a reminder. If you bring your laptop, please do not bring it to your classes for taking notes. The click click click is very distracting. Especially for those in the back of a conference class. Hearing the speakers can sometimes be a little hard and the clicking sound makes it worse.

Oh, that brings up another point. Try to sit in the front of your classes. You can hear and see so much better.
Thanks!
Lisa

I am a front row sitter. I like being close and knowing the I hopefully won't miss at thing!

What is the best way to prepare for a conference?

The best way to prepare for a conference is to create a schedule and plan out your time. This includes researching the conference agenda, identifying key sessions and speakers to attend, and setting goals for what you want to learn or accomplish at the conference. It's also important to pack essentials like business cards, a charger for your phone or laptop, and comfortable shoes for walking between sessions.

How can I make the most out of networking at a conference?

Networking is an important aspect of conferences, and the best way to make the most out of it is to be proactive. Introduce yourself to others, ask open-ended questions, and listen actively. Be sure to exchange contact information and follow up with new connections after the conference. You can also attend networking events or join online groups related to the conference to expand your network even further.

What are some tips for staying organized during a busy conference?

One tip for staying organized during a busy conference is to use a notebook or conference app to keep track of important information and notes from sessions. It's also helpful to take breaks throughout the day to regroup and prioritize your schedule. Additionally, make sure to stay hydrated and bring snacks to keep your energy levels up.

How can I make the most of the vendor booths at a conference?

To make the most of the vendor booths at a conference, take some time to research the vendors beforehand. This will help you identify which booths are most relevant to your interests and goals. When visiting booths, ask questions, take notes, and collect any materials or resources they offer. You can also network with the vendors and potentially establish valuable business relationships.

What is the best way to follow up after a conference?

The best way to follow up after a conference is to send personalized emails to new connections you made and to follow up on any action items or tasks that were discussed during the conference. You can also share your key takeaways and insights from the conference on social media or your company's blog. This not only helps you solidify new connections, but also reinforces your learning and helps you stay connected with the conference community.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
merego
  • kcmckay
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • its_me_susan