• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Comparing Beer Bread: Pampered Chef vs. Tastefully Simple

When I traveled to Louisville, KY for work weekly I used to LOVE the rolls at Texas Roadhouse!!!! :thumbup: I'd sometimes eat there twice a week just to get the rolls! They also had awesome shrimp I...I've never tried them, but I'm sure they're good!I've never tried them, but I'm sure they're good!
Becky0216
How does the beer bread PC sells compare to the beer bread from tastefully simple? I love the TS beer bread and didn't realize PC sold it until last week.

Becky0216 said:
How does the beer bread PC sells compare to the beer bread from tastefully simple? I love the TS beer bread and didn't realize PC sold it until last week.

It's the same thing - only ours is less expensive, because it makes 2 large loaves or 8 small loaves.

Yup... I've had both and I love ours better because of the price!

ok, I guess I will be buying it then. too bad I already placed my supply order for the month.

TS does now offer a larger pack of 3 mixes for a bit of a price break. The 3 pack comes out to $4.33per mix. Ours is $4.5 per mix. So for customers it is not a huge difference anymore. But as a consultant being able to order off the supply list is a huge discount!

etteluap70PC said:
TS does now offer a larger pack of 3 mixes for a bit of a price break. The 3 pack comes out to $4.33per mix. Ours is $4.5 per mix. So for customers it is not a huge difference anymore. But as a consultant being able to order off the supply list is a huge discount!
And our shipping is $4 vs. theirs which starts at $6.95!

Good point Becky.... forgot to mention that!

I like the flavor and texture of ours better.

chefann said:
I like the flavor and texture of ours better.

I need to try it but am afraid to!

Reason being, I just recently got addicted to the Quacamole Seasoning and they discontinued it...

I can't handle getting to like something then having it discontinued...

So, to warn everyone, if I try this soon and it is discontinued this fall - IT IS NOT MY FAULT! :rolleyes:

I have had both - I prefer PC's - I just wish we had a spread that could go with it - I like the ts rubard/straw spread with PC's Beer bread -

janetupnorth said:
I need to try it but am afraid to!

Reason being, I just recently got addicted to the Quacamole Seasoning and they discontinued it...

I can't handle getting to like something then having it discontinued...

So, to warn everyone, if I try this soon and it is discontinued this fall - IT IS NOT MY FAULT! :rolleyes:

Oh, sure - NOW I know the reason that my beloved guacamole was discontinued!:grumpy: :cry: (;) )

My love for that stuff was so well known, I even had hosts and customers emailing me asking what I was going to do now that it's discontinued......:cry:

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh, sure - NOW I know the reason that my beloved guacamole was discontinued!:grumpy: :cry: (;) )

My love for that stuff was so well known, I even had hosts and customers emailing me asking what I was going to do now that it's discontinued......:cry:

I would have said, "Cry, then figure out their secret recipe...;) "

janetupnorth said:
I would have said, "Cry, then figure out their secret recipe...;) "

I think I've said this before - but it applies in this instance also....I'm lazy!

Actually - I experiment all the time w/ gaucamole & salsa recipes....it's a weird little hobby of mine - have to do something with that big bunch of cilantro, and all those limes lying around!

PamperedDor said:
I have had both - I prefer PC's - I just wish we had a spread that could go with it - I like the ts rubard/straw spread with PC's Beer bread -
I have a mulled strawberry rubarb jam recipe that is so yum. I would send you a bottle, but it is like taking a gold bar from fort knox around here! My husband's favorite! I agree about the beer bread though! Ours rocks! Love it for sweet spiced apple sourdough!

Last edited:
Can I shed another tear in the great white north? Beer bread not available in Canada! (neither can I get the new microfibre towels or the smaller oven mitt!)

I have the "knock off" version of tastefully simple bread's recipe
Not really a fan of beer bread (IF I'm gonna eat bread its gonna be yeast rolls LOVE Rhodes frozen rolls and bread)
I can look for it if you want its like 3 ingred.

Teresa Lynn said:
I have the "knock off" version of tastefully simple bread's recipe
Not really a fan of beer bread (IF I'm gonna eat bread its gonna be yeast rolls LOVE Rhodes frozen rolls and bread)
I can look for it if you want its like 3 ingred.

When I traveled to Louisville, KY for work weekly I used to LOVE the rolls at Texas Roadhouse!!!! :thumbup: I'd sometimes eat there twice a week just to get the rolls! They also had awesome shrimp I liked.

We just got a Texas Roadhouse about 1 1/2 hours from us, but we don't really eat out and that is a LONG drive for dinner...

yankeeinontario said:
Can I shed another tear in the great white north? Beer bread not available in Canada! (neither can I get the new microfibre towels or the smaller oven mitt!)

I can see maybe the beer bread due to customs, etc., but the towels???

...and what do you mean by smaller oven mitt...the cranberry one?

Janet, Try Rhodes frozen bread they are better than ones served at Texas Roadhouse. I used to use Bridgeford when I wasn't using my bread machine but now its Rhodes only for us.

Teresa Lynn said:
Janet, Try Rhodes frozen bread they are better than ones served at Texas Roadhouse. I used to use Bridgeford when I wasn't using my bread machine but now its Rhodes only for us.

I'll have to see if our Walmart carries them because the local GS doesn't. Thanks...

janetupnorth said:
When I traveled to Louisville, KY for work weekly I used to LOVE the rolls at Texas Roadhouse!!!! :thumbup: I'd sometimes eat there twice a week just to get the rolls! They also had awesome shrimp I liked.

We just got a Texas Roadhouse about 1 1/2 hours from us, but we don't really eat out and that is a LONG drive for dinner...

They just built a Texas Roadhouse by the Mall here - is it really that good? My feeling when I saw it was "Oh, just another steak house" because there is also a Logans, and a BBQ Steak place (can't remember the name - Dave something I think) and an Outback all in the same area. Is it pretty much the same as those places, or worth a try?

ChefBeckyD said:
They just built a Texas Roadhouse by the Mall here - is it really that good? My feeling when I saw it was "Oh, just another steak house" because there is also a Logans, and a BBQ Steak place (can't remember the name - Dave something I think) and an Outback all in the same area. Is it pretty much the same as those places, or worth a try?

I think it is probably similar to Logans but I loved it in KY!!!!
Everything had good flavor and was cooked well and it was reasonable priced (of course this was 2000 - who knows 8 years later).

janetupnorth said:
I think it is probably similar to Logans but I loved it in KY!!!!
Everything had good flavor and was cooked well and it was reasonable priced (of course this was 2000 - who knows 8 years later).

Interesting....it's directly across the street from Logans....

Logans is always packed - every night of the week. We've only been there once. I have this thing about sitting on peanut shells, and having them crunch under my feet.....so we haven't been back. I remember liking their rolls, they reminded me of Branns rolls (Brann's is a locally owned chain of Steak Houses)

ChefBeckyD said:
Interesting....it's directly across the street from Logans....

Logans is always packed - every night of the week. We've only been there once. I have this thing about sitting on peanut shells, and having them crunch under my feet.....so we haven't been back. I remember liking their rolls, they reminded me of Branns rolls (Brann's is a locally owned chain of Steak Houses)

Let me add - similar to Logans in type of food - very nice restaurant like in style - no peanut shells!

yeah, can't stand those stupid peanuts
We usually prefer Steak and Ale, Outback or Texas Land and CattleI buy the Rhode at Wal mart they also have cinnamon rolls my family likes

janetupnorth said:
I can see maybe the beer bread due to customs, etc., but the towels???

...and what do you mean by smaller oven mitt...the cranberry one?

Yep, not the glove, but the square one. Canadian home office is telling us that they just can't make any money on the towels up here. I just ordered them from an American consultant, shipped to my American PO box and declared them at the border. They didn't charge me taxes or duty!

Well... we've been to all of these mentioned and still love Long Horn better than all of them... most of the others have been hit or miss for us on return visits... like the first time was great but not the second... we've been to Long Horn over and over and NEVER had a bad meal... and we've been there with groups of 16- 20 and everyone loved it which is always amazing! SO.. if you've got one of them nearby... try them too! :)

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
I have a mulled strawberry rubarb jam recipe that is so yum. I would send you a bottle, but it is like taking a gold bar from fort knox around here! My husband's favorite! I agree about the beer bread though! Ours rocks! Love it for sweet spiced apple sourdough!

Oh Stephanie - that is just not fair!!!!:cry: :cry:

PamperedDor said:
Oh Stephanie - that is just not fair!!!!:cry: :cry:

Yeah, isn't she CRUEL?!?!?!

I was at least thinking if you won't share the goods, at LEAST share the recipe!

Not meaning to un-hijack, but I will... =)

PC's beer bread is MUCh better than TS beer bread. And we do have a dip that goes with it - try the SW Seasoning mixed with equal amounts of mayo and sour cream. YUMMMMMMMY.... Also just as good is the Dill seasoning with the mayo and sour cream.

Anytime I make beer bread with the dip at a show, I get TONS of repeat orders at later shows (and online) for both the beer bread and whichever seasoning I made the dip with.

Actually, I won't even make the beer bread now without serving the dip with it... it really makes a HUGE difference. It's really THAT good!

=) Jen

I've never tried the beer bread, guess I'm going to have to now!!
Oh and I think Texas Roadhouse is overrated, of course I've always lived close to one. Some say they have the best steaks, but I have found better and cheaper!! I like the atmosphere there, the wait staff line dances in the aisles every so often and the ones I've gone to still let you throw the peanut shells on the ground, which I don't do b/c I feel bad for whoever has to sweep!

I cannot compare ours to TS but I can tell you that my family LOVES our Beer bread! It's so Yummy! You must try it if you have not done so yet! It's a must have or must try! :)

janetupnorth said:
Yeah, isn't she CRUEL?!?!?!

I was at least thinking if you won't share the goods, at LEAST share the recipe!
Don't cry!! I'll share. This is not all the secret ingredients, but close...
Mulled Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
5 cups strawberries (after being hulled, and chopped)
4 cups diced clean rhubarb
8 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1T cinnamon plus
1T PC vanilla
2 tsp butter flavor(add at the end of cooking time)
1 bay leaf(remove before putting jam in jars!)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart heavy pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer until a candy thermometer registers 220 degrees, about 25 minutes. Remove the jam from the heat and skim the foam from the top. Pour the jam into hot sterile half pint jars, and process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes. According to manufacturer's directions. If you don't have a canner, this can be made and stored in jars in the fridge--use within 2 months. yield, about 4 pints. You may make a half recipe.

Don't hurt yourselves.:)

Last edited:
Okay, bad thread to read right now. It's making me reallyyyyyyy hungry. Yum!

Try making your own beer bread - very easy.

3 c self-rising flour
1/2c sugar
1 12oz beer

Mix together, put in loaf pan, bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Take out,
Melt 1/4c butter or margerine and then put back in to bake an additional 10 minutes.

Yummy!

Don't cry!! I'll share. This is not all the secret ingredients, but close...
Mulled Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
5 cups strawberries (after being hulled, and chopped)
4 cups diced clean rhubarb
8 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1T cinnamon plus
1T PC vanilla
2 tsp butter flavor(add at the end of cooking time)
1 bay leaf(remove before putting jam in jars!)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart executive pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer until a candy thermometer registers 220 degrees, about 25 minutes. Remove the jam from the heat and skim the foam from the top. Pour the jam into hot sterile half pint jars, and process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes. According to manufacturer's directions. If you don't have a canner, this can be made and stored in jars in the fridge--use within 2 months. yield, about 4 pints. You may make a half recipe.

Don't hurt yourselves.:)

Oooh thanks! Filing this one away for future use!!!!

Juddel said:
Try making your own beer bread - very easy.

3 c self-rising flour
1/2c sugar
1 12oz beer

Mix together, put in loaf pan, bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Take out,
Melt 1/4c butter or margerine and then put back in to bake an additional 10 minutes.

Yummy!

The sad thing is, I'd NEVER had beer in my house so I wouldn't know what to use! :eek:

I've only in the last 10 years had wine in the house for cooking because I realized there are some recipes that just aren't right without it. :D

We don't use beer, wine or liquor. So I hear you. Try explaining that in culinary school.
Personal belief.
I had some in my class in AA who never got hassled about it. I've never tasted it, and don't want to.
I have used a can of soda with good success. I especially love apple soda. :love:

Last edited:
We don't use beer, wine or liquor. So I hear you. Try explaining that in culinary school.
Personal belief.
I had some in my class in AA who never got hassled about it. I've never tasted it, and don't want to.
I have used a can of soda with good success. I especially love apple soda. :love:

Apple soda? What brand and/or where do you find that?

I use some alcohol in a few recipes now, but the alcohol is pretty much burned off in prep.

Drinking has never been a temptation to me so I don't have a problem using wine in cooking but since we don't drink we usually don't have it in the house. ...and have never had beer in the house. Caffeine is enough of an addiction! ;) :p

Actually, I've been doing VERY well with that. I've LOVED my coke in the a.m. but now I'm down to a max of 1 can a day if that. I don't drink milk (lactose issues) so it is hard finding substitutes since certain juices irritate me too.

I hate drinking plain water, but am getting used to it. I like Koolaid and Powerade but I'm trying not to drink any of that because of the HFcorn syrup.

You wouldn't realize how hard it is to find something GOOD to drink lately!

I use the Wal-mart brand apple soda-- it's their version of clearly Canadian. They have a cheaper soda called Manzanilla that may just be a Southwest thing. My sons call it "getto pop". I gave that a try but it was pretty sweet. My drinking problem is pretty much isolated to Diet Coke! I have to keep it out of my house or it magically finds it's way into my hands. I am amazed how much calmer I am without it, and level headed. It's like that old saying about PMS-- one day I will find out it is all a lie and this really is my personality! Coke does that to me... turns me into Jekle. Anyway, I hope that helps:) .

janetupnorth said:
Apple soda? What brand and/or where do you find that?

I use some alcohol in a few recipes now, but the alcohol is pretty much burned off in prep.

Drinking has never been a temptation to me so I don't have a problem using wine in cooking but since we don't drink we usually don't have it in the house. ...and have never had beer in the house. Caffeine is enough of an addiction! ;) :p

Actually, I've been doing VERY well with that. I've LOVED my coke in the a.m. but now I'm down to a max of 1 can a day if that. I don't drink milk (lactose issues) so it is hard finding substitutes since certain juices irritate me too.

I hate drinking plain water, but am getting used to it. I like Koolaid and Powerade but I'm trying not to drink any of that because of the HFcorn syrup.

You wouldn't realize how hard it is to find something GOOD to drink lately!

Hey Janet!

Have you tried Juice Spritzers? A mix of whatever juices don't irritate you, along with some sparkling water. Those are really good! Also, Celestial Seasonings has some of those water add-in packets (where you add the powder to a bottle of water) that are sweetened with Stevia (a natural sweetener) . I don't usually like Stevia, but it's good in those - I have a peach, and a blueberry kind right now.

We don't drink HFCS, so Pop (soda) is a special treat at our house (my love of Sprechers has already been documented!) We drink alot of Water, apple juice, grape juice, and orange juice, green tea, and I also have a coffee addiction!

I use Sparkling Water in the Beer Bread all the time - It's tasteless, so I can then flavor the beer bread any way I like.

Wow, you guy's are so loyal...
Htthmmmm...
Has to be one in the bunch I guess....
I like the TS brand better.
Htthmmm.... sorry!...
Schel

I made the 'from scratch' beer bread in the fluted clay pan. Next time will use less sugar, but it turned out fine :)

Someone gave DH a can of 'lite' beer to try, although neither of us drinks for health reasons. He was game for the experiment, and really liked the result.

just one can???? What kind of friend is that?? ;)

Teresa Lynn said:
just one can???? What kind of friend is that?? ;)

hehehe They were having a discussion about booze in general. DH mentioned he was dubious about trying 'lite' beer, after trying a pint of British dark beer -bitter:yuck:

I made beer bread from scratch and loved it. I will never buy a mix again.
Although I will never tell my beer bread customers about the recipe.

Becky0216 said:
I made beer bread from scratch and loved it. I will never buy a mix again.
Although I will never tell my beer bread customers about the recipe.
But will you tell us??? :D

The recipe is simple.
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (or soda)
3 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add beer and continue to mix, first using a wooden spoon, then your hands. Batter will be sticky. Pour into a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees ) for 50 for 60 minutes. The top will be crunchy, and the insides will be soft. Serve topped with butter or cheese spread.
If you let sit for an hour before pouring in pan, it will rise better.
I pour 1/3 cup melted butter over the top before baking.
Add in garlic, cheese, spices etc. to give different taste.

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey Janet!

Have you tried Juice Spritzers? A mix of whatever juices don't irritate you, along with some sparkling water. Those are really good! Also, Celestial Seasonings has some of those water add-in packets (where you add the powder to a bottle of water) that are sweetened with Stevia (a natural sweetener) . I don't usually like Stevia, but it's good in those - I have a peach, and a blueberry kind right now.

We don't drink HFCS, so Pop (soda) is a special treat at our house (my love of Sprechers has already been documented!) We drink alot of Water, apple juice, grape juice, and orange juice, green tea, and I also have a coffee addiction!

I use Sparkling Water in the Beer Bread all the time - It's tasteless, so I can then flavor the beer bread any way I like.

Oh - just saw this thanks to someone else posting on it. Juice Spritzers - sounds yummy!

Never seen the Celestial Seasonings ones - I'll have to check that out - are they at normal stores or health food stores?

Been good lately at the water. We like apple and grape juice (especially white grape). Orange juice but only in moderation - I'd get horrible rashes when I was little from it.

I'll have to look at some more options!

I was bad today and had 2 bottles of Dr. Pepper at work!!!! But no coke!

Becky0216 said:
The recipe is simple.
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (or soda)
3 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add beer and continue to mix, first using a wooden spoon, then your hands. Batter will be sticky. Pour into a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees ) for 50 for 60 minutes. The top will be crunchy, and the insides will be soft. Serve topped with butter or cheese spread.
If you let sit for an hour before pouring in pan, it will rise better.
I pour 1/3 cup melted butter over the top before baking.
Add in garlic, cheese, spices etc. to give different taste.

Hmm...sounds good...wonder if this would bake well in the mini-fluted pan...

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• melissasutkus
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • WLMcCoy
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
my3angels
  • Laura420