1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Beef wellington appetizer and scallion pancakes

1. ChefMary412

ChefMary412 Advanced Member

Has anyone made beef wellington as an appetizer? I want to do it for New Years Eve and want to see what you all have before I start googling it! It seems to be that you do not have to cook the beef before wrapping in the pastry dough? I was thinking of using a little garlic and herb pub cheese in it, too??
    Suggestions please! I am also going to try to make some scallion pancakes since I have a bunch of leftover phyllo dough... anyone make that?

Dec 29, 2009
  2. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

I just saw the 5-ingredient gal on Food Network do the Beef Wellington apps on her show. It was just the other day. I am sure you could find her recipe on their website.

She did cook the beef to brown (sear) it first. I think she used mushrooms & shallots as the base for the sauce.

Dec 29, 2009
  3. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

On the Today Show this morning, they featured as one of the recipes Mini Beef Wellingtons - They looked absolutely delicious. I know that they said the recipe would be on the website, so you might check with that one. It seems to me that they did saute' the beef first though.

Dec 29, 2009
  4. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

Here's the one from Food Network. She is the 5 ingredient chef - her name is Clare.

Mini Beef Wellingtons

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 pounds beef tenderloin, cut into 24 (1-inch) cubes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    10 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
    1 large shallot, finely chopped
    2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed (recommended: Dufour)

Directions
    Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the beef dry with a paper towel and season all sides with salt and pepper. Quickly sear the beef on 2 sides only until deep golden brown, about 4 minutes total; do not overcook. Transfer to a plate to cool.

Add the mushrooms and cook until beginning to brown and release liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and continue cooking until mushroom mixture dries out, is golden brown and shallots are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.

Preheat to the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

On a work surface, roll 1 sheet of puff pastry to a 10 by 14-inch rectangle. Put teaspoon-sized mounds of mushroom mixture on the pastry, evenly spacing them in 4 rows of 3. Top the mushroom mound with a piece of beef, seared side up. With a sharp knife, cut the pastry into even squares around the meat and mushrooms. Working 1 at a time, pull 2 opposite sides of pastry up over each beef piece, then fold the ends over the top to make a packet. Invert and arrange the packets seam side down on the baking sheet and press them lightly to seal the pastry. Repeat with the remaining beef, mushrooms, and pastry.

Bake the Wellingtons until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven to a serving platter and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.

Dec 29, 2009
  5. ChefMary412

ChefMary412 Advanced Member

thanks... that sounds nice and easy!!

Dec 30, 2009
Have something to add?