• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Beef Roast Recipe for DCB Oven | No Canned Soups or Dry Mixes

In summary, the DCB can be used to cook a pot roast, but it is better to brown the roast on the stove first. The recipe mentioned using a seasoning mix called "complete seasoning" - it's in the Mexican food aisle... great on everything
babywings76
Gold Member
I have only used my DCB in the oven once or twice, but never for a roast. I usually do that in the crockpot and use cream of mushroom soups and a dry onion soup mix. But...I'm trying to get away from using dry onion soup mixes and canned soups.

Anyone have a good recipe for a pot roast for the oven? I looked in the DCB cookbook and one recipe says just to put the meat and veggies in the DCB with just some S&P and bake it. But shouldn't I season it with something in addition to S&P? I don't want to add soda to it like other recipes suggest and I don't have cider. So, any recommendations?

What about a PC rub?

Here's my go-to pot roast... based on Pioneer Woman's recipe.

Saute diced onions, carrots and celery in a little oil. Remove veggies.
Brown chuck roast on all side. Remove roast.
Add 1 cup red wine to deglaze.
Add 1 can beef broth, roast and veggies all back in. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic (I use a seasoning mix called "complete seasoning" - it's in the Mexican food aisle... great on everything).

Roast covered at 275 degrees for 3 hours.

I like stuffing mine with whole garlic cloves, salt and pepper on the outside and a couple of whole onions (peeled) in the pan next to them. I brown on the stove prior to placing it in the oven and then cook it very slowly at around 325.

Those ideas sound delicious! My roast isn't really that thick, so I'm not sure if I should brown it on the stove first or not. Then it wouldn't take too long to cook, I'd be afraid. I want to be sure I cook it long enough so my potatoes cook thoroughly. If I do it in the DCB, do I do it with the lid on or off? Is it faster with it on?

Okay, nevermind...I had a "duh" moment. lol I went ahead and browned it. I used the new Garlic & Herb Rub. Put some onions, carrots, and potatoes in the baker with it and covered it. I've got it set at 325. I wonder how long it's going to take to cook. I'm guessing 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Hopefully not too much longer than that. I'll let you know how it turns out. I didn't add any liquid to it since it's covered and it will put off it's own juices. We'll see what happens.

I know you mentioned getting away from can soups but try this
1 roast
fresh sliced garlic
1 can campbells cheddar cheese soup
1 can campbells french onion soup
whisk soups pour over roast and garlic
do not add any seasonings
bake in oven 350 until roast is done
remove roast, whisk soups again serve as gravy. I promise you will LOVE it!!

My husband and son's favorite roast is when I slow roast (275 degrees F) it in equal parts beef stock, and root beer. I know. It sounds really strange, but it makes a really tender, delicious roast, and the BEST gravy ever! (I buy an all natural root beer w/o HFCS or food colorings added.)

Well, it turned out really, really tough. Kids wouldn't eat it and I had a hard time enjoying it myself. :( Wished I had made it some sort of gravy style because the potatoes just weren't good on their own. I drizzled some of the juices over everything, but it wasn't enough. So sad. :( It smelled fabulous though, if there's to be a bright side. ;)

Sorry it turned out badly. What type of roast was it?

I've made several roasts in my DCB in the oven, the trick is low & slow. I usually bake it at 250 for about 3 hours. I usually put a little water in it, a packet of onion soup, and cream of mushroom soup over it. About an hour in, I will put carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms.

I don't brown it first or anything. In fact, I often take a frozen roast, put it into a cold oven and start. So far, no problems with shock.

1. What type of beef roast should I use for cooking in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB) in the oven?

For best results, we recommend using a chuck or sirloin roast for cooking in the DCB. These cuts are known for their tenderness and are perfect for slow cooking in the oven.

2. How long does it take to cook a beef roast in the DCB in the oven?

The cooking time will vary depending on the size and type of roast you are using. Generally, it takes about 20 minutes per pound to cook a beef roast in the DCB in the oven. It's always best to use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 145°F for medium or 160°F for well-done.

3. Do I need to add water or broth when cooking a beef roast in the DCB in the oven?

No, you do not need to add any additional liquid when cooking a beef roast in the DCB. The roast will produce its own juices and the DCB lid will keep all the moisture inside, resulting in a tender and flavorful roast.

4. Can I use the DCB to cook a frozen beef roast in the oven?

Yes, you can cook a frozen beef roast in the DCB in the oven. However, it will take longer to cook, so be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly. It's also important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the roast is cooked to the proper temperature.

5. Can I add vegetables to the DCB while cooking a beef roast in the oven?

Yes, you can add vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and onions to the DCB while cooking the beef roast in the oven. However, it's best to add them during the last hour of cooking to prevent them from becoming too soft. You can also cook the vegetables separately and add them to the roast before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC