• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bbq Roasting Pan - Care & Grill Question

#3: You can cover the bottom or the inside bottom where the chicken will drip down. We just put foil over the bottom of the grill and left the chicken on it.
KWilliams2329
I have a show coming up and several guests have already asked the host on a number of items relating to the BBQ Roasting Pan (# 2714).

1. Can you close the lid on the grill with this item in there (along with the chicken on it)??
2. How is the cleanup on the item??
3. Can you put foil at the bottom (basically cover the holes) in order to help with cleanup??

Any help would be greatly appreciated - seems like a lot of gals are interested in the product, but I want to make sure there questions are answered.

Thanks!!! :)

I would say #1 depends on each person's grill! No grill is the same. For ours, we usually have to lower the cooking grate to set an upright chicken in the grill. There is a top-rack that comes down with the lid and it would get in the way.So there is no standard answer for that one.#2 - I haven't used our yet- planning to do so this weekend. But with ANYTHING used in the grill over open flame, it won't be a simple "throw it in the dishwasher" cleanup. The detachable cup maybe (have to check my Use & Care). It likely won't be nice and silvery by the time we're done...at least not the bottom. But maybe the Stainless Cleaner will help with that. Sorry- not much help yet from me on that one.#3 - I don't see why you couldn't. I'm not sure if you are thinking cover the bottom of the pan, or cover the inside bottom where the chicken mess would drip down, or both. I'm not sure I would bother myself, but again, I'll have to let you know after trying to clean it up this weekend! ;)

Thanks! That def provides some good information - much appreciated.

hopefully someone else who has tried it will have better help on the cleanup- otherwise, I'll let you know later this weekend or early next week after we use ours on Sunday. :)

I want to know how to get the daggum chicken off the can when it's all done!:eek:

This will be a maiden voyage for me too, as I've never cooked a whole chicken on the grill, better yet a chicken with a can shoved up its rump.

My husband has been doing Beer Can Chicken for years now - just sets the chicken on the can on the grill - but it is a little bit of a balancing act!

The chicken comes off the can pretty easily. He holds the can steady with tongs while he lifts the chicken up with another set of tongs. He may spray the can a little with Pam - but I am not 100% sure on that.

We are interested in trying the new pan, too. We will probably cover up the holes. Since it is cooked using indirect heat, there is no flame underneath. He always has to set a drip tray under the grates to catch the drippings. So he is looking forward to trying this.

I haven't looked at the recipe in the Use&Care yet, but here is the recipe DH used:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/recipe/basic_beercan_c.php

And you dont have to use beer. We usually use half a can of Sprite. I think other juices work as well, if you have a can to pour them into. And we dont have any trouble getting the chicken off. But our old method wasnt a big can holder, so we may spray it with some oil, just in case.

I've used this twice recently and it's a bitch to clean up. Make sure you've got time, a couple SOS pads, and lots of elbow grease. I even used a pre-wash treatment spray, which helped some, but not as much as its label made it sound like it would. I'll look into the stainless steel cleaner. I think next time I use it, I'll brush oil on it before use.

Last edited:
#1: Yes, you close the lid! You need to close the lid to cook the chicken evenly, to help the heat distribute around, otherwise it just "goes up in smoke". I personally have a VERY small grill, about the exact size of the beer butt chicken pan. My lid closes over the chicken fine.

#2: I have not had a problem cleaning mine. With that said, your pan will be black after the first use. If you don't like it looking that way, spray it with EasyOff Oven Cleaner. I soak mine in warm soapy water for about 20 minutes, then use my brown pan scraper to scrape off food, then scrub with sponge. Good to go.

#3: Do not put foil on the bottom, it defeats the purpose! The holes are there to circulate the heat in and around your food. Just stir your veggies every once in a while and expect them to be charbroiled and delicious. Plus,they soak up the drippings of the chicken.

#1: Yes, you close the lid! You need to close the lid to cook the chicken evenly, to help the heat distribute around, otherwise it just "goes up in smoke". I personally have a VERY small grill, about the exact size of the beer butt chicken pan. My lid closes over the chicken fine.

#2: I have not had a problem cleaning mine. With that said, your pan will be black after the first use. If you don't like it looking that way, spray it with EasyOff Oven Cleaner. I soak mine in warm soapy water for about 20 minutes, then use my brown pan scraper to scrape off food, then scrub with sponge. Good to go.

#3: Do not put foil on the bottom, it defeats the purpose! The holes are there to circulate the heat in and around your food. Just stir your veggies every once in a while and expect them to be charbroiled and delicious. Plus,they soak up the drippings of the chicken.

I've used orange soda and a can of water. Same results....fabulous.

As for getting it off the can, the first time I did it, I used my tongs and pulled it off. The can came with. Now I simply slice the meat off the chicken while it's still in the pan, on the can. Then when it's done, it comes right off. You can also use your kitchen shears to cut it away from the can then pull off with the tongs

I had no problem getting it off the can. I sprayed the can w oil before putting the chicken on then used tongs to lift the chicken off. The pan looked pretty dirty but the bbq vegetable rack looks way more discolored after one use. Not sure why. Both are in the dishwasher now so will see what they look like after that.

Keep in mind that this is a product that is not meant to look new after you use it. Same with any of our grilling items (baskets, pizza pan, etc). It's just the nature of using it on the grill.

wadesgirl said:
Keep in mind that this is a product that is not meant to look new after you use it. Same with any of our grilling items (baskets, pizza pan, etc). It's just the nature of using it on the grill.

That may be, but if you bring it to a show, you still want it to look nice. At least I do.

ChefPeg said:
That may be, but if you bring it to a show, you still want it to look nice. At least I do.

I will agree to disagree with you. I want people to see what things look like after a few uses. Do you keep a stone to just bring to parties or do you bring a seasoned one? I bring a seasoned one. I want people to see what products will look like after a few uses so they have realistic expectations when they purchase. JMHO

lt1jane said:
I will agree to disagree with you. I want people to see what things look like after a few uses. Do you keep a stone to just bring to parties or do you bring a seasoned one? I bring a seasoned one. I want people to see what products will look like after a few uses so they have realistic expectations when they purchase. JMHO

Agreeing to disagree. Of course I bring a seasoned stone...they're supposed to season as they're being used. Metal (other than cast iron) doesn't need to be seasoned and I prefer my metal stuff, PC or otherwise, to look good as long as possible. I'm sure there are customers who feel the same way.

I used this again tonight, had to share...
I was planning on making a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions, and zucchini in my dcb in the oven as I usually do. But the kitchen was hot and I didn't want to make it any hotter so I put everything in the roasting pan (took the can part off) and put it on the grill. Made some brown mushroom gravy. Can you say "F A B U L O U S !!!"??:love::love: And it didn't take any more time than it would have in the oven.

This is definitely becoming one of my favorite new products!

I have to agree with Jane. If the product will NOT look new and shiny and bright after one use, why try to make it look like it will to our customers? I DO NOT want phone calls from people who want to return it because it looks dirty. Like the stones, I think it is stupid to fool people into thinking a product will be something it will never be after it is used. To me that too is false advertising and is dishonest on our part. And do you really want your guests and potential hosts to think you are a liar? Remember a false portrayal of a product, whether spoken or implied, is still a lie!

Wow. I never implied I was going to lie about a product. What I said was that personally, I like my own stuff to be as clean as can be and I'm sure some customers do too. To those customers, I will tell them how hard it is to clean and to the rest, let them know it won't look perfect after use. I don't mind my stuff looking used, I just don't want it to look neglected.

ChefPeg said:
Wow. I never implied I was going to lie about a product. What I said was that personally, I like my own stuff to be as clean as can be and I'm sure some customers do too. To those customers, I will tell them how hard it is to clean and to the rest, let them know it won't look perfect after use. I don't mind my stuff looking used, I just don't want it to look neglected.

It's definitely an agree to disagree situation. I personally think that something that is dulled and grey from smoke after washing is still clean while it no longer looks brand new. I am willing to accept that. If you want to spend all the time and elbow grease to keep it looking brand new, more power to you. That is your perogative. I personally think this falls into the carry less, sell more category. Brining a lot of stuff to a party makes our job look more difficult than it is and hampers recruiting efforts. Scrubbing products to keep them looking brand-new makes our products seem more difficult to use and care. This will translate into lower sales because no one wants products that are a pain to use and maintain. JMO

Hi everyone!Has anyone used this on a Jenn-aire grill inside? I have a host that wants to buy one, but has an unpredictable outside grill. She would like us to use it on her Jenn-aire but I know several recipes need to have the grill lid closed. Any ideas?Carrie

lt1jane said:
It's definitely an agree to disagree situation. I personally think that something that is dulled and grey from smoke after washing is still clean while it no longer looks brand new. I am willing to accept that. If you want to spend all the time and elbow grease to keep it looking brand new, more power to you. That is your perogative. I personally think this falls into the carry less, sell more category. Brining a lot of stuff to a party makes our job look more difficult than it is and hampers recruiting efforts. Scrubbing products to keep them looking brand-new makes our products seem more difficult to use and care. This will translate into lower sales because no one wants products that are a pain to use and maintain. JMO

With anything (other than the stones) that gets discolored with use, I bring my unused sample. But I let everyone know that this is my sample and that my pan at home looks nothing like this. I find that the shiny look is more appealing for sales, but that way there are no surprises when they use it. I make brownies for all my shows and my silicone pan is UGLY! So they all know that the one they are handling has never been used. And that's ok. Now if I intend to use it to cook at a party, then of course I'll bring the used one.

I agree with the camp of "show it like it is"..... To a point. i dont usuually bring my items that do look "loved", except the stones. The grill items, after one or two uses, if they start showing their love, then they will stay home. But I would disagree with the notion that they are not CLEAN. They are clean, but they dont look new. I do think thereis a difference, so I wouldnt tell a customer it isn't clean. It is just what metal pans do under smoke and heat like that.

Quick question, has anyone had a problem with flare ups? I have a consultant who has 2 customers upset about flare ups and are leery of using it. I think they weren't cooking on indirect heat, though one claims he was. Ideas? Solutions?

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Quick question, has anyone had a problem with flare ups? I have a consultant who has 2 customers upset about flare ups and are leery of using it. I think they weren't cooking on indirect heat, though one claims he was. Ideas? Solutions?

LOL...I am SORRY...but do they have this problem when they grill normally?? It's not the pan for crying out loud. It's the user, and the item being cooked (excess fat, etc).

Sorry..I couldn't help but laugh at that one. People frighten me.:D

One of my customers use Italian dressing instead of beer or soda! Sounds yummy. My grill needs to be replaced so I have not cooked chicken this way but those who have done this are scooping this product right up!

My ED also shared with us that you can place the "can" thingy off center, use a can of beer or coke in another area on the roasting pan so you can cook 2 chicken at once!

baychef said:
One of my customers use Italian dressing instead of beer or soda! Sounds yummy. My grill needs to be replaced so I have not cooked chicken this way but those who have done this are scooping this product right up!

My ED also shared with us that you can place the "can" thingy off center, use a can of beer or coke in another area on the roasting pan so you can cook 2 chicken at once!

I have one of the old style of chicken roasters (round wire like), And I offset the can in ours, and was able to use the wire rack ckn holder to do two. So I decided to buy a second "can thingy" off replacement parts! Now I can do two easily. We also use it to smoke turkey (not on the can holder...we just lay it in the pan...perfect).

esavvymom said:
I have one of the old style of chicken roasters (round wire like), And I offset the can in ours, and was able to use the wire rack ckn holder to do two. So I decided to buy a second "can thingy" off replacement parts! Now I can do two easily. We also use it to smoke turkey (not on the can holder...we just lay it in the pan...perfect).

I bought a second can holder too and asked in a PC chat with a test kitchen cook if that was possible and if so, for how long and he replied it was best with one chicken. But I really want to try two. How long do you do two?

ChefPeg said:
I bought a second can holder too and asked in a PC chat with a test kitchen cook if that was possible and if so, for how long and he replied it was best with one chicken. But I really want to try two. How long do you do two?

I dont remember for sure....not much different than one chicken from what I remember. Obviously, you dont want them touching so that air and heat can circulate. And i think my DH rotated the pan at some point.

I use the meat lifters to take the chicken off the can. I have never had the chicken stick to the can. My BBQ, a typical 3-burner gas grill, closes just fine. You need to close it. It looks "well loved" after you use it, I clean it as best I can with the stainless cleaner, but I tell people, "you can tell how much we love this pan--i hope yours looks as well loved as this one does after a use or two on your own grill".

I think to use oven cleaner on my grill and stainless steel items. It will help remove the grime a little. IT won't be perfect but better. I use oven cleaner on my drip pan on my stove and other grilling products. I hope it helps.

I have had good luck cleaning w SOS pads. Works great for bbq pizza and roasting pan, not as well w veggie rack. It is hard to clean well around the spikes

I made the bacon wrapped meatloaf on it last night. It was a mess but I just sunk it in a sink of hot soapy water and walked away. This morning, I took a mini serving spatula, scraped it and then used a stainless steel scrubber and wa la, 5 minutes to clean! I know it's not always easy to leave something soaking overnight but it sure did the trick! :)

Brenda.the.chef said:
I want to know how to get the daggum chicken off the can when it's all done!:eek:

This will be a maiden voyage for me too, as I've never cooked a whole chicken on the grill, better yet a chicken with a can shoved up its rump.

I pulled it off pretty easily. I will admit I was a little surprised. We used Coke Zero and it was absolutely delicious!

1. Can you close the lid on the grill with this item in there (along with the chicken on it)??

Yes, the BBQ Roasting Pan (# 2714) is designed to fit most standard grills and can be closed with the lid. Just make sure to properly position the pan on the grill before closing the lid to avoid any spills or accidents.

2. How is the cleanup on the item??

The BBQ Roasting Pan is made with a non-stick coating, making cleanup a breeze. Simply wash with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge or place it in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.

3. Can you put foil at the bottom (basically cover the holes) in order to help with cleanup??

Yes, you can place foil at the bottom of the pan to cover the holes for easier cleanup. Just make sure to poke a few holes in the foil to allow for proper ventilation and to avoid trapping excess moisture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Phi_Phi_18
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • Tania Bonner
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • BethCooks4U