1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: BBQ Grill Basket

1. Lifeat50

Lifeat50 Member

I am new and have sold a few Grill baskets. I had a customer ask me a question and I don't have an answer. I just received mine yesterday so I haven't used it yet.

What are the best things to cook in the grill basket? She tried some fresh vegetables and they just came out crispy. Did she cook them too long or does she need to coat them in olive oil or something? I read a post earlier where they suggested olive oil.

Give me any other recipes or ideas you may have. I read in the earlier post about smores, meatballs, and fish.

Apr 23, 2009
  2. WLMcCoy

WLMcCoy Advanced Member

My family likes to marinate chicken or steak strips for salads or fajitas. Our favoite is green peppers, onions, & pierogies though..

I've heard shrimp is great, too.. I'm allerigc to seafood, so I haven't tried that!!

Apr 23, 2009
  3. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

Yes, everything should be tossed with some oil and seasonings before going on the grill, otherwise it's just going to dry out.

There are really no "recipes" per say, just toss with oil and seasonings of your choice and cook until it's how you like it.

We do potatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, etc....the possibilities are endless!

Apr 23, 2009
  4. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Toss asparagus w/ some olive oil & salt and pepper, and grill! I :love: LOVE :love: Grilled Asparagus!

Apr 23, 2009
  5. jross93

jross93 Member

Do you line your grill basket with foil? (didn't know if this would help keep the oil/seasoning in the basket to help marinate better....)

Apr 23, 2009
  6. WLMcCoy

WLMcCoy Advanced Member

I usually don't..

Apr 23, 2009
  7. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

Lining it with foil defeats the purpose of the basket.

Apr 23, 2009
  8. DeeDee616

DeeDee616 Member

i do shrimp in it and we love it. And i do sometimes line mine with foil if i want to do more then one thing. Like one time i did a basket full of pineapple rum sauce. Then the next batch was sesame shipr so i dind't want to have to clean the grill basket in between so the foil works out good then. No mess!

Apr 23, 2009
  9. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

My family loves it for no fuss kabobs. Sometimes I just do not want to fuss with the skewers! I spray the basket with no stick cooking spray, throw on some marinated meat, when it is about done add some chunks of bell peppers, onions, pineapplw or whatever... YUM!!!

Apr 23, 2009
  10. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

I have used it for shrimp. I buy the the medium to large shrimp, deveined but not peeled. I marinate them in olive oil, fresh pressed garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper for at least an hour. Grill over medium flame for approximately 5 to 7 minutes, tossing around every 2 minutes. Allow to cool, peel and enjoy!

Leaving the peel on ensures moister shrimp.

11. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

Hmmm, I'll have to try this... I haven't had great success with shrimp... but this sounds good.

Apr 24, 2009
  12. Aunticooks

Aunticooks Member Gold Member

Great I've read all these and now I'm starving for shrimp!!!! Thanks for all the great info

Apr 25, 2009
  13. stefani2

stefani2 Veteran Member

DH has lined it before - he likes it because it is more sturdy than aluminum pans (the disposable ones)...

Apr 25, 2009
  14. candiejayne

candiejayne Veteran Member

I featured these at my show last night, out of 7 ordering guest I sold 4 or 5 I believe. Everyone loved it, had been eyeing it (sent out minis as invites), and were so pleased to see it work!

Apr 26, 2009
  15. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead Advanced Member

How clean looking does the grill basket stay? I had a guest ask me this and I just got mine recently and haven't used it yet. Does it stay kind-of new looking or does it get blacker looking??

Thanks-
    Kelly V.

Apr 26, 2009
  16. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

It gets blacker as you cook with it,

Apr 26, 2009
  17. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Did you encourage your guests to buy two each, so they can flip the food over?

18. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead Advanced Member

This worries me, because like I said I haven't used mine yet. At a show a week or so ago, my hostess said her friend has one and it still looks great after using it. I said I wasn't sure I hadn't use it yet, well her friend said it still looks like new after using it several times.
    So several people purchased one, and at the show today (that booked off from that) I also sold several, everyone thinking and talking about how nice it still looks. I will probably get a lot of calls when it turns black. Oh, well, live and learn I haven't use mine yet so could not tell them how it looks after several uses.

Kelly V.

Apr 26, 2009
  19. jross93

jross93 Member

What about using the stainless steel cleaner on it after every few uses to keep it shiny and new looking?
    Just a thought!
    Jen

Apr 26, 2009
  20. TiffanyBarton

TiffanyBarton Member

I would gently remind your guests that keeping ANY grill item looking new takes TLC. You can't throw it on the grill (fire, smoke, etc.) and expect it to look nice and shiny use after use. :D Good luck!

21. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

I tried that and it didn't work for me. I think most people who grill on a regular basis know that when you use the BBQ grill, it won't look brand new but is does do the job! It cleans up well in the dishwasher too.

22. candiejayne

LOL I would have had I known that little tip myself hehe! I showed off the BBQ Tongs to "stir" the contents.

Apr 26, 2009
  23. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Senior Member Gold Member

We put Citrus & Basil rub on ours! We got the large ones in the shell and cooked 2 pounds Saturday night. My SIL also cooked chicken, corn, and hot dogs at the same time. We grill several different meats at once so that we don't have to do it every day...but then at 8 hot dogs got eaten! LOL!

Apr 26, 2009
  24. Jolie_Paradoxe

Jolie_Paradoxe Senior Member Gold Member

Has anyone complained about the size of the basket? I've heard several comments that it's smaller than the pic makes it out to be....and yes, I know the measurements are indicated....

Any thoughts on comebacks for the size? When you use it....what is the max number of servings?

25. candiejayne

I was surprised when it came. I like to atleast take it for people to see how big/small it is. If I don't have it with me, I just tell them its the size of the catalog for a visual.

Apr 27, 2009
  26. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I always make sure I give people a visual of how big it is. The dimensions are listed, but that kind of thing doesn't always register with people.

Apr 27, 2009
  27. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I tell people that it can hold the same amount of food that could go in the large batter bowl. It helps them to visualize the volume that way. It does seem small, but when they realize the volume it helps. Plus I tell them it's nice that it isn't too huge, so you can still have room on your grill for all your burgers or whatever.

Apr 27, 2009
  28. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

I have had people comment on the size and I tell them that it is the perfect size, it'll fit on almost all grills, plus you'll have room to cook other things while your grill is on there... like if you're making steaks on the grill and the shrimp or veggies in the basket, you can do it all at the same time. And it really holds a lot... I don't know the servings... sorry...

Apr 27, 2009
Have something to add?