• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Basil - What All Can I Put It in or Do With It?

In summary, growing basil can result in an abundance of the herb, which can be used in a variety of recipes such as Tomato Basil Squares, caprese salad, mini caprese sandwiches, basil pesto, pesto vinaigrette, basil-anchovy dipping sauce, and basil sauce. Basil is a resilient herb that can even come back the following year and can be stored in the freezer for later use. Basil sauces often include other ingredients such as garlic, white wine, chicken stock, heavy cream, and butter for added flavor.
jrstephens
I decided to grow some fresh herbs this year. I have parsley and basil. Well, my basil is producing like crazy, especially after my first harvest. I have a dehydrator and have been doing that. Now I have loads of Basil and I do not use it that often. I just grew it to have something green on my porch and to see if I could get it ti live!!!:D

Give me some ideas and recipes for it!! I know and love the Tomato Basil Squares.

Bring the ideas on Cheffers b/c I have Basil coming out of my ears! My husband just shook his head at me yesterday when I put more up.

It's good on any kind of chicken. Pesto's to go with pasta. It is an ingredient in alot of tomato based food.

Basil is a great herb to grow because its so resilient. It may even come back next year, too. You can freeze it to use later. Here are some great ideas. Also, don't forget a caprese salad (mozz cheese, tomato, basil and balsamic vinegar). You can also do the mini caprese sandwiches.

Basil Pesto

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
½ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, packed (optional)
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup pine nuts or walnuts
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and cracked black pepper to taste

1. Place ingredients in a food processor, starting with half of the ingredients if the processor bowl is small, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of container. Blend until pesto forms a thick, smooth paste.

2. Store in refrigerator in a tightly closed container for up to a week, or freeze for a few months.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pesto Vinaigrette

1 clove garlic, peeled
kosher salt, to taste
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
2 cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
cracked black pepper, to taste

1. In the bowl of a food processor, purée garlic and salt until a paste is formed. Add pine nuts and basil and process until a fine paste formed.

2. With motor running, add vinegar and then slowly add oil in a thin stream until the mixture is emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basil-Anchovy Dipping Sauce

6 cloves garlic, peeled
3 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
4 ounces anchovy fillets, drained
1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil
Fresh vegetables, for dipping

1. Mash garlic with a press or the back of a knife. In a food processor, combine basil, pine nuts, parsley and anchovies, and puree. Add garlic. With motor running, pour in enough oil through feed tube to make mixture smooth but not runny.

2. Serve with fresh vegetables, such as sliced fennel bulb, sliced red peppers, celery, green onions, mushrooms, radicchio leaves, radishes, carrot slices and cucumber slices.

The following recipe is from Rockenwagner, a cookbook published by Hans Rockenwagner, a German-born, French-trained chef who has lived and cooked in Los Angeles since the mid-1980s at his restaurant named, you guessed it, Rockenwagner. His cooking is both earthy and sophisticated, he says, as this recipe illustrates. (More recipes from Rockenwagner.)
Basil Sauce

1 cup dry white wine
2 small cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1-1/2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
freshly ground white pepper to taste
2/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into 10 pieces

1. In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the wine and garlic; bring to a simmer and reduce by half. Add the stock and return to a simmer. Reduce to two-thirds of the original volume, until 1 1/3 cups of liquid remains. Add the cream and return to a simmer, them remove from the heat and set aside to cool, uncovered.
2. Bring a medium saucepan full of water to a boil. Add the basil and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove the leaves with a skimmer and, as soon as they are cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much water as possible,. Immediately combine the blanched basil with the milk in a blender (this will stabilize the color of the basil). Blend for about 3 minutes, adding more milk if necessary to make the mixture move easily, scraping down the sides of the container as necessary. When the mixture is bright green and the basil is completely pureed, gradually add the cream mixture with the motor running. Add the salt and white pepper and strain the sauce into a clean pan. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

3. To complete the sauce, bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat. Stir in half the butter and continue to stir until all the pieces have been absorbed. Immediately remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining butter, whisking until all of the butter has melted and the sauce is emulsified. Taste, adjust the seasonings if necessary, and use immediately.

Michael Chiarello, executive chef at Tra Vigne restaurant in the Napa Valley, explains one technique for capturing the essence of herbs, such as basil, in his book, Flavored Oils: 50 Recipes for Cooking With Infused Oils. Basil-infused oil is an aromatic mixture that can be used as-is, to "get immediate flavor throughout the whole dish." Or it can be used as an ingredient in recipes such as the vinaigrette described below.

Herb-Infused Oil

The technique for making infused oil is much the same whether the ingredient is basil, rosemary, oregano, garlic, chiles, mushrooms or citrus fruit. For every cup of olive oil, use two tightly packed cups of basil or any other soft-leaved green herb--chervil, chives, cilantro, mint. (Tarragon does not work well except early in the spring when it is very sweet, he writes. Otherwise it tends to taste bitter when infused.) Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the herbs, making sure that the leaves are submerged, and blanch for five seconds. Drain into a strainer and immediately plunge the herbs into a bowl of ice water. Drain well and squeeze out all liquid. Puree in a blender with olive oil. Strain puree immediately through a fine-mesh strainer. Strain again through four layers of cheesecloth. Put in a sterilized glass bottle, cover tightly and refrigerate. For optimum flavor, use within a week.

Chiarello recommends using a blender, which makes a finer, smoother puree and extracts more flavor than a food processor. To filter the mixture, he uses cheesecloth, which he first rinses and squeezes dry. Coffee filters can also be used, although they, too, should be rinsed and squeezed dry first. Patience is required. Pour the oil slowly, and stir occasionally. You will probably need several filters.

You can use the infused oil in, among other things, the following recipe for a vinaigrette, which tastes as good on chicken or roasted eggplant as on a green salad.

Balsamic Basil Vinaigrette

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 tsp finely chopped shallots
1 cup basil-infused olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Whisk together vinegar, garlic and shallots in a small bowl. Whisk in basil oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keeps up to four days refrigerated in a tightly sealed container.

make some pesto! You can use it for SO much!

Fresh basil repels flies. Keep planters of it growing by your doors to keep them from coming into the house.

I like it chopped up and added to scrambled eggs at the last minute. If it is fresh, add it about 1 minute before you serve it. Add it to pasta sauces!

Basil and tomatoes were made for eachother. Sprinkle some fresh basil on tomato wedges for a simple and delicious salad.

:D
debhowey said:
Fresh basil repels flies. Keep planters of it growing by your doors to keep them from coming into the house.

Thanks for the tip:D I always have that problem in the summer and the kids opening and shutting the door every 5 mins..:D

Slice tomatoes and mozarella cheese. Layer and then drizzle with italian dressing or vinagarette and then make a basil chiffon (sp). Roast plum tomatoes and garlic. Chop up with mix and chop, add to freshly cooked pasta and add chopped basil. Grate parmesean cheese over and toss.

Pesto is always awesome.

Maybe try the salsa recipe we have in the catalog with an Italian flare. Don't add the pepper and put basil in place of the cilantro.

ChefJeniLobdell said:
Maybe try the salsa recipe we have in the catalog with an Italian flare. Don't add the pepper and put basil in place of the cilantro.
mmm... that would be a great bruschetta topping.

We used to grow fresh basil and every few months we'd make a HUGE batch of pesto -- then freeze it in little portions in ice cube trays. Once frozen we unmold the cubes and dump them into a biz ziplock. We use it in pasta dishes, on pizzas, in salads, you name it.

Thanks everyone!! Keep them coming!!!

Thanks, AJPratt for posting all the recipes!! If I freeze the basil, do I just freeze it whole? How long does it last in the freezer? I would like some whole that would resemble fresh for me to take to my shows.

Also, is AJPratt's pesto recipe a basic one? Or do others have pesto recipes for variety.

What all can I put pesto on or in?

You can tell I am just not starting to ever use Basil. The Tomato Basil Squares got me started on it.

I bought some cute little jars at Walmart this weekend to put by dehydrated Basil in.

I am telling all my host if it calls for Basil - I have it in my garden! I love being able to say that!:D

dannyzmom said:
We used to grow fresh basil and every few months we'd make a HUGE batch of pesto -- then freeze it in little portions in ice cube trays. Once frozen we unmold the cubes and dump them into a biz ziplock. We use it in pasta dishes, on pizzas, in salads, you name it.

That sounds like a great idea!

I like to toss a handfull of the leaves in with my salads.

This just came in the Meals Made Easy e-newsletter (sponsored by Betty Crocker).Grilled Pesto-Stuffed Steaks
Flavor-packed pesto and cheese create the surprise in juicy beef steak.Prep Time:35 min
Start to Finish:35 min
Makes:4 servings
*****2 beef rib-eye steaks, 1 1/2 inches thick (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup basil pesto
2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil1. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Make horizontal cut in side of each steak, forming a pocket (do not cut through to opposite side).
2. Mix pesto and cheese; spread evenly on insides of pockets; press pockets closed. Drizzle oil over beef.
3. Cover and grill beef 4 to 5 inches from medium heat 12 to 14 minutes for medium doneness, turning once. To serve, cut beef into thick strips.Nutrition Information:
1 Serving: Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 235); Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 110mg; Sodium 380mg; Total Carbohydrate 1g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars ncg); Protein 43g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 18%; Iron 20% Exchanges: 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 6 Lean Meat; 2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: nc
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.Substitution
New York strip or sirloin steak can be substituted for the rib-eye.
Success
To retain beef juices, turn the steaks with tongs instead of piercing them with a fork.

I love fresh basil... no comparison to the dried stuff. I was also going to tell you to make pesto and freeze it but someone beat me to the punch! For a super easy appetizer/salad, take cherry tomatoes, slice in half, throw in some cubed fresh mozzarella (or take the fresh mozz. balls and slice them with your egg slicer then cut them in half if they are still bigger than bite size) and julienne some basil, toss it all together and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Yum! An easy way to julienne basil (and other flat leaved herbs/veggies)--stack them up then roll them "cigar style", then slice into skinny slivers across the roll (like you're cutting a jelly-roll cake). Enjoy your basil, I'm jealous as my plant is still pretty little and I don't dare pick any yet!

Sounds good Kimberly. I need to get some tomatoes and mozzarella. My "tommy toe" tomatoes are just now coming on the plant.

I love growing things this years! I need to post pics! ha! I have regular and tommy tow tomatoes, jalepeno peppers, green and red bell peppers, bannana peppers, parsley and of course, basil.

I hope my dehydrated basil holds its flavor good.

Also an FYI.... if your basil starts to get black at the bottom and die snip it where it's stiii green and put it in water. Basil will root! I kept a bunch alive on my kitchen table into december.

The Chicken Primavera Risotto out of one of last year's SBs calls for fresh basil...it is a delicious, easy recipe too.

There's a recipe in the new salad cookbook. Look's good.

etteluap70PC said:
Also an FYI.... if your basil starts to get black at the bottom and die snip it where it's stiii green and put it in water. Basil will root! I kept a bunch alive on my kitchen table into december.

I've never gotten mine to root. Is there a secret to it? Did you just put a bunch in a glass of water and keep changing the water frequently?

FYI you can do this with mint too... now that one I have gotten to root and it will grow like a weed once it's established. It KILLS me to have to pay for mint at the grocery store in the winter when I am pulling it out of my garden as a weed in the summer!

Jennifer, when does your growing season start down south? I've had tomato plants ruined Memorial Day weekend in Denver with snow, so this year I was really careful (unnecessarily as it turns out but you never know) to not put any tender annuals out until right around then. We haven't put in veggies this year as we are in a new house and haven't planned all that out yet, but I love being able to go out and pull warm tomatoes off of the vine for a salad. Hmmmm, maybe I need to just dig a hole and buy a plant!

Last edited:
Make tomato basil soup
the fresh mozzarella, basil and tomato salad with balsamic vinagrette
tomato basil squares YUMM

I absolutely LOVE fresh basil, and would love to know how to grow it. If you can share any tips with me, who has absolutely NO green thumb, I am all ears!! I would really like to grow it in a pot, not outside, if possible...???

(We just built a new home a few months ago, and right now have absolutely no yard here yet. My husband and sons, plus my nephew, are working on a deck for the back, but the grass hasn't even been planted yet. I don't dare "invade" their territory right now!! lol)

I buy fresh basil at the local grocery store. Are you telling me I could then actually grow my own from this stuff? Just by putting it in water? No soil? Would it grow in a Simple Additions Small Bowl, perhaps? Does it require alot of sun?

Thanks!
Paula

OK, if you want an absolutely "mouth-watering" appetizer for your fresh basil, I HIGHLY recommend the Fresh Tomato & Basil Bruschetta recipe, right out of our Pampered Chef cookbook!! It's in the "It's Good For You" cookbook, and is a big hit EVERY time I make it!!

In fact, I told them at my last show that I would post it on my website, since several asked me for the recipe, but didn't want to buy the cookbook. I figured that, at least it would get my website more traffic, hopefully!!

Best wishes,
Paula

One of my favorites with fresh basil is... (I have no measurements) you take a bunch of basil, kalamata olives (no pits), garlic and sun dried tomatoes (olive oil packed) and blend in a food processor add olive oil and salt/pepper as needed. I serve this with some really good bread. It is good, but I use a ton of garlic so you can be sure you do not have a party the next day, LOL!!

Paula R. Lewis said:
I absolutely LOVE fresh basil, and would love to know how to grow it. If you can share any tips with me, who has absolutely NO green thumb, I am all ears!! I would really like to grow it in a pot, not outside, if possible...???

Even though the plant stake says "full sun" I find that is does better when it does not get afternoon sun. I even have it in the shade and does well. Just keep well watered especially in pots. It doesn't do too well inside unless you have a sun room. Try it outside it will do great.

OK, if I buy it at the store, I just put it in water and let it "root"??? Then, plant it in soil, in a pot, and put it outside in the morning sun??

I don't mean to sound stupid, but, as I said before, I have absolutely NO green thumb!! lol

Paula

Paula
go to your local home improvement store or nursery and buy a 4" pot of it for under $2 or plant the seeds it sprouts very quickly it's like rosemary the more you trim it and use it the better it does.

Here is our favorite summer recipe using fresh tomatoes and basil

Tomato Basil Soup
5 fresh tomatoes quartered
5 cups Campbells tomato juice
20 basil leaves
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup salted butter
pepper to taste
Simmer tomatoes and juice 30 minutes in a stock pot. Cool (this is very important or you will have burns) Pour into blender with the basil leaves puree!!!
Return to stove on medium heat stir in the butter, pepper and cream
Do not boil.
This tastes better the second day.
I usually double or triple the batch.

ChefJeniLobdell said:

Bruschetta! I have done this! In fact, I am doing it for a show Thursday night! I have been doing the salsa for shows- but this host didn't want salsa....so - I use the onion, basil, tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, a little S&P, and a couple shakes of Balsamic vinegar! Serve it on baguettes instead of tortilla chips.....yummy!

Paula R. Lewis said:
OK, if I buy it at the store, I just put it in water and let it "root"??? Then, plant it in soil, in a pot, and put it outside in the morning sun??

I don't mean to sound stupid, but, as I said before, I have absolutely NO green thumb!! lolPaula

I planted mine from seeds. I got them at Walmart - any store with plants/ seeds should have basil seeds. I put the whole package in one pot - in hind sight I would recommending using two pots and half the seed in each pot.

I have mine planted in a pot on my front porch. Mine does get the afternoon sun b/c I do not have a porch on the back of my house which gets the morning sun and it has done amazing. Once it started growing I even took some of the plants out and made a hanging plant basket for another area of my porch.

This is has been VERY easy to grow. I water it every day to every other day depending on how hot it is and if the plants looks like it needs watering. I miracle grow it once a week.

I think you can have great success with it. I usually can grow things in the ground but nothing in a pot. I am hoping this year my thumb is changing!

dwyerkim said:
Jennifer, when does your growing season start down south? I've had tomato plants ruined Memorial Day weekend in Denver with snow, so this year I was really careful (unnecessarily as it turns out but you never know) to not put any tender annuals out until right around then. We haven't put in veggies this year as we are in a new house and haven't planned all that out yet, but I love being able to go out and pull warm tomatoes off of the vine for a salad. Hmmmm, maybe I need to just dig a hole and buy a plant!

I planted my herbs in April after Easter - that is normally our last frost in Alabama. There was one weekend I had to bring my pots inside. I also planted some pepper plants at the same time I planted the herbs in pots too. I have two pepper plants, two basil pots, and parsley all planted in pots on my front porch.

I have my tomatoes planted in drums. I forgot to say earlier I also have cucumbers planted. I have 4 tomato plants in one drum; tommy toe tomatoes, a red and green bell pepper plant, and jalapeño plant in one drum; and my cucumber in another drum where they will run up my chain link fence. I planted these at the beginning of May - I think the first weekend.

My yard stays VERY wet, so, if I plant anything in my ground they will rot from too much water. My dad grew things in drums last years, so, I am doing it this year. I got one metal drum and my dad cut it in half for two drums. My FIL had a plastic drum, about the size of a good feed trough, and I used it too.

I also have pansies that are just now dieing. And a fern that I am actually getting to grow - i normally kill them within a month of getting them!!!!

Can you tell I am excited about my growing success!!?? I cannot wait for those first tomatoes and cucumbers!!

I am thinking of making pepper jelly with some of the peppers b/c I will NEVER eat all of them! I just mainly wanted to see if I could do it!!! ha!

Paula R. Lewis said:
OK, if you want an absolutely "mouth-watering" appetizer for your fresh basil, I HIGHLY recommend the Fresh Tomato & Basil Bruschetta recipe, right out of our Pampered Chef cookbook!! It's in the "It's Good For You" cookbook, and is a big hit EVERY time I make it!!
Paula

Can you post this? I think this is the only cookbook I do not have.

Are there different pesto recipes? I printed off AJPratts.

The PC recipe for Tomato basil squares are awesome!

debhowey said:

Last night when I got home there were flies in my kitchen! My husband and son closed the door and was trying to kill them. Seeing my 3 year old do this was hilarious!

I could not belive we had just talked about Basil repeling flies and I get home to have them in my kitchen! I told DH about this post and he said well move the basil by the door!!! I bet he moves the nail this afternoon!

Do u think it would help if I made another pot and sat it in my house?

You can also hang a gallon ziploc baggie filled with water by the door or on your patio it will repel them.
we do this when we have watermelon outside

Teresa Lynn said:
You can also hang a gallon ziploc baggie filled with water by the door or on your patio it will repel them.
we do this when we have watermelon outside

I have one cut up in my refrigerator, I wonder if that is why they were in my kitchen?

FRESH TOMATO & BASIL BRUSCHETTA
Prep time: 15 minutes Bake time: 10-12 minutes

Nothing but the freshest ingredients will do when making this popular appetizer.

1 loaf Savory Canape’ French Bread (recipe follows)
3 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 1 pound)
½ medium zucchini, coarsely chopped (about ½ cup)
¼ cup snipped fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange bread slices on flat baking stone. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.

2. In Small Batter Bowl, combine tomatoes, zucchini, basil, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, vinegar, oil, salt and black pepper; mix gently. Using Medium Scoop, scoop tomato mixture over bread slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Yield: 24 appetizers

Nutrients per serving (2 appetizers): Calories 80 (15% from fat), Total Fat 1.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 230 mg, Fiber 0 g

Diabetic exchanges per serving (2 appetizers): 1 starch (1 carb)

SAVORY CANAPE’ FRENCH BREAD
Serve this bread with dips, spreads or soups.
Prep and bake time: 50-60 minutes Cool time: 1 hour

2 tablespoons (½ ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons Pantry Italian Seasoning Mix
1 package (11 ounces) refrigerated French bread dough

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray inside of Scalloped Bread Tube and lids with nonstick cooking spray; place lid on bottom of bread tube. Combine Parmesan cheese and seasoning mix; sprinkle evenly over bread dough. Fill tube with dough. Place lid on top.

2. Bake, upright, 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes. Remove bread from tube; cool completely. Cut bread into ¼-inch slices.

Yield: 24 slices (1 loaf)
Nutrients per serving (2 slices): Calories 70 (16% from fat), Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat .5 g,
Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 180 mg, Fiber 0 g

Diabetic exchanges per serving (2 slices): 1 starch (1 carb)

***copied from The Pampered Chef’s “It’s Good For You” cookbook, page 11

OK, here you go! I hope you all enjoy this one as much as I do....in fact, I'm sitting here eating some right now!! lol

Paula

Oh, and since we no longer sell the bread tube, I just use French bread from the bakery section of either the grocery store or Sam's Club. It's actually cheaper, too!
I just sliced it and toasted it on the stone.

Tonight, however, it's just tortilla chips....still yummy though!!

Paula

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I eat basil off the stem. *BLUSH*
I LOVE basil!
All of those recipes are what I would do with them!
Or you can just toss pasta w/ butter chopped tomatoes and fresh basil.
Easy and YUMMY dinner!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• leftymac
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Tropicalburstqt2