• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Banking - Check Clearing Policies: In State Check Holds Explained

In summary, the conversation revolves around one person's frustration with their bank putting a hold on an in-state check for five business days. They are surprised by this, as their bank usually does not put holds on checks for that long. Others in the conversation share their experiences with check holds at different banks and offer advice for how to handle the situation. One person, who works at a bank, explains that holds are put in place to protect both the customer and the bank in case the check is returned. They also mention that some banks consider certain checks to be "local" and hold them for a shorter amount of time.
KellyRedHead
I was just wondering how long your bank puts a hold on checks.
My Credit Union never but a hold on check until Feb. Really surprised they didn't before, they did for out of state, but not for very long.
So today I go to deposit an in state check, but not local and they want to put a 5 day business hold on it!! Won't clear until 3/17! I figured three days, not 5! I need this show to go in by the 15th, so I thought I was safe depositing it today.
If I thought it would be this long I would have asked her for a debit card, which actually I did, but she didn't want to do that and sent me a check.

So just wondering how long you have to wait for an in state check to clear??

Kelly V.

I generally cash checks instead of depositing but when I do deposit, they rarely hold them more than a day.

I could have cashed it, but then they would have put a hold on my account for 5 days.
I just don't know why or even how they can hold a in state check for 5 business days.
I am going to call in the morning and see if I can talk with someone.

Kelly V.

It really does depend on the bank. I don't think my bank puts any hold on the check. If they do, it's not for more than a day or two (because, I've never noticed).

However, we used to be at a bank that did put holds on check - including paychecks! So, we learned (from a teller at that bank), to cash the check first, then deposit the cash.

Don't worry to much about the extra hold days, though. PC doesn't debit your account until the order is shipped, and since that takes a couple of days in itself, you'll have plenty of time.

Do you have a branch of that bank any where near you? If so I would take it there and cash it.

No I don't. We use to have one about 1/2 hour from me, but it closed.
So I thought I was safe depositing it with it being within the state.
I probably will be okay and it won't go out of my account before the 17th. I hope!
But I worry about other deposits I need to make in the future. Like I said I don't mind a couple of days hold, but 5! They never use to do this but a teller told me they have started because they had a lot of check fraud last year.
But my husband said in this electronic day and age, that check should not be held for 5 days! Maybe he is wrong I don't know, but I know I will be calling in the morning, I would have asked when I deposited it, but I was in a hurry and in the drive thru.

Kelly V.

Kelly, let us know what you find out tomorrow. If one bank is starting this, others might soon follow, so it would be good to know how to handle the situation.

Yes, I will let you know. I think I am also going to call around to other banks in my area to see what they are doing also.
May move my account for PC, or may not if they all will be doing this soon.

Will let you know!
Kelly V.

This really surprises me since recently the banks have this littlel system where they can "electronically" access monies between banks and transfer it faster. This 5-day hold just does not make sense! We used to be able to figure it would take 5-7 days for a check to clear once we wrote it. Now it's like 1 or 2 and it's done. Crazy. This bank is going back in time!

Ok don't bash me but I work for a bank, so I'm going to explain the reason behind this. Kelly where in NY are you? The bank I work for does hold certain checks for 5 business days. They are checks we consider to be non local. Local checks are held for 2 business days. If we recieve unfamiliar paychecks we may put a hold on it, but most paychecks are not held. The reason for the 5 business day hold is to protect you and the bank. If the check were to come back bad it hurts all involved. Honestly the holds usually drop off before the check actually clears the other bank. So it's not a fool proof system. My bank actually in the past year or so has actually billed more checks to be considered local, ie 2 business days vs. 5. We will often put a 2 day hold on checks that are actually drawn out of state but have a routing number we consider local. This is due to the electronic quicker processing. There is one "local" bank in my area that has an out of state routing number. This bank actually bought some of our branches in a different area of state and is now popping up in Albany area. If someone brings in that check we have to put a 5 day hold on it because the routing number is not considered a local check. I know it's confusing but your bank should explain it. Also if they have changed their policy they should have sent all account holders notification of this. Also one last thing, the reason banks need to put holds on other banks checks is because we have no way of accessing another banks account information. And actually the whole idea of cashing then depositing to avoid a hold, doesn't work in your bank. Your account will still have that hold on it. If you cash the check at the bank it's drawn on and then deposit cash that is your safest bet. HTH. And sorry so long but was trying to help everyone understand check holds.

I bank at a credit union and don't have a hold on my checks. They don't accept third party checks at all though, but I get around this by depositing at an ATM at a different bank which does accept them.

Thank you Katie for going over this with me.
I live in Central NY and they did notify us of bank holds, but I don't remember they saying anything about a in state check taking 5 business days. I remember 2 day holdsbeing mentioned.
I am going to still call this morning and find out how or why this happens.

Rhonda- I bank at a credit union too. This is one reason why I liked my credit union. They never did anything like this before. But like the teller said about the check fraud, many people I guess are doing things they never have done before and they have to be careful, but 5 days still seems like a long time to me in this electronic time we live in. But like Katie mentioned maybe it will be released before the 5 days, I just wondered how this will effect us when doing shows at the end of the month and wanting it in by the 31st for commission. If a hosts gives us her debit card and deposited the checks from her guests into her account, and keeps a minium balance in that acct, there could be a hold on those checks and then the debit card payment will no go through for PC.
I know PC "usually" does not take anything out for 2-3 days after shipping, but it could happen sooner, and there could be a hold for 5 days like I have above.

Will let you know what I find out-

Kelly V.

1. What is the process of check clearing?

The process of check clearing is when a check is deposited into a bank account and the funds are transferred from the check writer's account to the recipient's account. This involves the physical movement of the check to the check writer's bank, then to the recipient's bank, and finally the funds are credited to the recipient's account.

2. How long does it take for a check to clear?

The length of time it takes for a check to clear can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 business days for the check to be processed and the funds to be available in the recipient's account. However, some banks may put a hold on the funds for a longer period of time, so it's best to check with your specific bank for their policies and processing times.

3. Are there any fees associated with check clearing?

Some banks may charge a fee for processing a check, especially if it is an out-of-state or international check. It's important to check with your bank for their specific policies and fees regarding check clearing.

4. Can a check be returned after it has been cleared?

In some cases, a check may be returned after it has been cleared. This can happen if there are insufficient funds in the check writer's account or if the check is found to be fraudulent. If this happens, the funds will be taken back from the recipient's account and the check will be marked as "bounced."

5. Can a check be stopped after it has been deposited?

Once a check has been deposited and cleared, it cannot be stopped or cancelled. The funds have already been transferred from the check writer's account to the recipient's account. If a mistake was made or there is an issue with the check, it's best to contact the bank as soon as possible to try and resolve the issue.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• momoftwins
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
momoftwins
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookindiva63
  • dymplz8