1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Banket (No, not blanket)

1. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

I'm so into making (and eating) banket right now. The recipe I used is from allrecipes.com. Banket - All Recipes I hope it turns out. I made 42 loaves with about 5 other people the other night for a fundraiser. Now, I want to try it myself at home. I have the pastry dough and the filling chilling in the frig.

Does anyone else ever make this? It's pretty popular here around Dutch country (West Michigan). If you have any tips to share, please post them. The loaf I took home from my friends' the other night was good, but they were baked on dark, non stick pans. The bottoms were more browned than the tops, too brown. I want to show them that the banket works out great on stones because of the even browning. I hope it really does work. :chef:

I'll post my results after I'm done. Last time I tried this (many years ago) I ended up having to buy a loaf from the store to take to a school function because mine fell apart. We ate it, so no worries. ;)

JAE

Dec 21, 2009
  2. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Legacy Member Gold Member

Mmmmm. I love almond. Sounds like these would be really good.

What do they mean by "white" sugar?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    Dec 21, 2009
  3. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

Janine, you live here but have never had this? D&W sells it.

White sugar is sugar, I guess. That recipe isn't mine. I just used that recipe. It's not brown and it's not powdered, so it's just regular sugar.

Dec 21, 2009
  4. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I LOVE Banket! It's one of the Dutch things DH introduced me to that I absolutely adore.

I buy mine at Steenstra's Dutch Bakery. It's on Chicago Dr. (sorta) in Grandville.

If you go to Peter's Imports (In the D&W Plaza across from Rivertown Mall) you can buy the Almond Paste by the gallon!

Dec 21, 2009
  5. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

People around here generally call them sticks of banket, not loaves.

Almond paste can be found in most supermarkets in the baking aisle. It's usually sold in a small tube/roll.

Dec 21, 2009
  6. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

My almond paste was $4.99 for a 10 oz package. Ugh! I don't need an entire gallon, but I wonder how much a gallon is compared to what I paid for 20 oz. 14 oz is all I needed (it equals 1 1/2 cups). Thankfully, I had a $5 coupon off a $25 grocery purchase and my All laundry detergent was on sale and with a coupon $1.49. ($15.20 in coupons all together. I deserve to splurge on almond paste. :))

JAE

Dec 21, 2009
  7. quiverfull7

quiverfull7 Legacy Member Gold Member

My MIL is the BEST at baking Banket and I have her recipe. I made it with her years ago so that I could learn her tricks and now one of my daughters has done the same thing. She used to make Banket Wreaths at Christmas but that is much more work to put them in a circle and keep them smooth so it's only sticks now but I'm telling you... it's the bEST!

Dec 22, 2009
  8. ChefBeckyD

LOL - what I think is funny is that everyone who is posting on this thread has a connection to West MI! It's definitely a tradition here!

Dec 22, 2009
  9. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

yeah, we're all Dutch! :D

Dec 22, 2009
  10. ChefBeckyD

Well, I guess I am now...having been grafted into a Dutch family by marriage. :D

Dec 22, 2009
  11. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

WHen I hear "Dutch" country, I think of out here. I live out in Pennsylvania Dutch Country and I haven't heard of Banket before. :D We've got Whoopie Pies and Chow Chow and Shoo Fly Pie. There's more, but those are the most famous dishes out here.

Dec 22, 2009
  12. ChefBeckyD

Pennsylvania Dutch isn't the same. Not sure what the background is for the Penn. Dutch...but this area is referred to as "Little Netherlands"....many many immigrants from the Netherlands living here. Many of them still first generation. (not uncommon to hear Dutch being spoken, or at least heavily accented English...my husband's grandfather was one of those.)
    Another big tradition here is having the Chocolate Initial in your stocking. The initial of your first name in chocolate....made by a Dutch Chocolate Company.

Dec 22, 2009
  13. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

Mmmm....Droste!

Dec 22, 2009
  14. ChefBeckyD

Yes! I'm partial to the little disks that are half milk/half dark choc. LOVE those!

Getting ready to go to Costco, Deb! Lunch there today! :)

Dec 22, 2009
  15. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

I had lunch there yesterday. :)

Dec 22, 2009
  16. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

Lunch at Costco?

I want a chocolate initial in my stocking. Someone tell my dh!

My banket looks really good. It's perfectly golden brown, slid right off my rectangle stone and is cooling on my cooling rack. I'm giving some away and taking the rest to family Christmas functions. We are not Dutch. My husband and his Dad's family are Swedish. My maiden name is Irish, though our ancestors have been in this country for many generations. Not sure what country we are originally from. I don't even go to a Christian Reformed or any kind of Reformed church, Wesleyan, actually. All I KNOW is that I really, really like almond paste!!! (And, I'm surrounded by tall Dutch people who mostly attend CRC churches:))

JAE

Dec 22, 2009
  17. ChefBeckyD

The problem is that by this time of the season, most of the initials are sold out. :(

Although I look Dutch - I'm not. German, English, and Irish mix. But Rick is DUTCH! (Isn't it funny - I look more Dutch than him:))

He grew up going to a CR school and church...but we're Wesleyan along with you now.:D But, hey - your kids go to a CR School!
    Everyone in my family likes almond paste too. YUM!

Dec 22, 2009
  18. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

Yes, my kids go to a CR school, but I just reprogram them as we go along. LOL!

Dec 22, 2009
  19. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

Hey now....I am a CR church attending, CR school educated woman here. I even went to Calvin College! LOL

Funny thing is I send my son to public school. ;)

Dec 23, 2009
  20. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

I grew up almost Baptist and my husband grew up Baptist. I've never been surrounded by more CRC people in my life. My Wesleyan church is the largest church in town, so apparently they all see the need for reprogramming.:angel: LOL! (Please, nobody slam me. I'm just doing some teasing about the reprogramming thing, here.);)

Merry Christmas!

JAE

Dec 23, 2009
  21. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

Merry Christmas!

(I know you're just joking and I totally get it!)

Dec 24, 2009
  22. ChefBeckyD

LOL! you have to totally get it, when Jill lives in an area where people have bumper stickers that say "If you're not Dutch, you're not Much"!

I LOVE this area, and am thankful to be raising my son here. I'm also very thankful for Dutch treats (haha) like Banket! Everyone else is missing out!
    It's just funny to make jokes (in a loving way) some times!

Dec 24, 2009
Have something to add?