• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Raw Meat Safely on Bamboo Cutting Boards

In summary, the woman was asking the man if he could cook on the bamboo platter. He said you can't because it doesn't have a dishwasher. Someone asked if you could put raw meat on it and he said you can't because it would get bacteria on it.
Jennie4PC
Do you have to be careful putting raw meat on our bamboo?

i am not sure about that. but your question mad me think about a lady asking me if see could COOK on the Bamboo Plater; what was she thinking?? :) but someone did have a good question for it; can you put it in the dishwasher. i read up on it and you can't. i would like to know if you would put raw meat on it. good question. i think you could, but i hate guessing.

I wouldn't put raw meat on the bamboo. My questions is "Why do you want to put raw meat on bamboo?" I think anything that touches raw meat needs to be properly sanitized. That is why I love our white cutting boards. They go in the dishwasher.

I thought the bamboo could go in the dishwasher???!!!

so i just looked, so it's the utensils that are dishwasher safe, not the platters or bowls, right?

Any of the bamboo that is glued together (the bowls, platters, tiny ladle) cannot go in the dishwasher. Also the tongs because of the hinges. Anything else can.

The raw meat question... I don't see why not, because things are sanitised by handwashing with soap and hot water, not just by cleaning with a dishwasher (think about it - plenty of people don't have dishwashers and wash everything by hand). I also wonder though why you would want to...

However, I would not cut raw meat (or anything, for that matter) on the bamboo pieces.

Anyone else have a reason to not put raw meat on it?

what about the bacteria that could stay? Isn't that why they say to not use raw meat on a wood cutting board?

Just what I've heard, I don't know one way or the other myself.

I think if you are not using the bamboo for cutting on it would be fine, as it wouldn't have any scratches for bacteria to get into. The bamboo is naturally water resistant which inhibits bacteria (that from a label on a bamboo bowl I just bought from (gasp!) target. I'm afraid I couldn't resist, it was beautiful, and 75% off...).

Symara said:
what about the bacteria that could stay? Isn't that why they say to not use raw meat on a wood cutting board?

Just what I've heard, I don't know one way or the other myself.

Bamboo does not absorb the moisture like wood does.

thanks you guys. I was wondering why you would want to put raw meat on it anyway

1. How do I properly clean a bamboo cutting board after cutting raw meat on it?

After cutting raw meat on a bamboo cutting board, it is important to thoroughly wash it with hot, soapy water. You can also use a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar to disinfect the board. Allow the board to air dry completely before storing it.

2. Can bamboo cutting boards be sanitized after being used for raw meat?

Yes, bamboo cutting boards can be sanitized after being used for raw meat. You can use a bleach solution of 1 tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water to disinfect the board. Rinse the board thoroughly with water after sanitizing and allow it to air dry.

3. Is it safe to use the same bamboo cutting board for raw meat and other foods?

It is not recommended to use the same bamboo cutting board for raw meat and other foods. This can increase the risk of cross-contamination. It is best to have separate cutting boards for raw meat and other foods to prevent the spread of bacteria.

4. Can I use a bamboo cutting board to cut frozen meat?

It is not recommended to use a bamboo cutting board to cut frozen meat. The extreme cold temperature can cause the bamboo to crack or split. It is best to thaw the meat before cutting it on a bamboo cutting board.

5. How often should I replace my bamboo cutting board if I use it for cutting raw meat?

The lifespan of a bamboo cutting board used for cutting raw meat will depend on the frequency of use and proper care. It is recommended to replace your bamboo cutting board every 2-3 years to ensure it is still in good condition and free of deep grooves or cuts that can harbor bacteria.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefheidi2003
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • Amanda_RI
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda_RI
  • naekelsey