• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bamboo vs Wood: Comparing Tools and Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of using bamboo utensils instead of wood, including its faster growth rate, strength, biodegradability, and health and safety advantages. Pampered Chef offers a line of bamboo utensils that are affordable, versatile, and durable. These utensils are also dishwasher safe, but items with multiple pieces of bamboo glued together should not be put in the dishwasher.
AmyDare
I've found some flyes in the files section that talk about the bamboo, but I can't find anything here or on CC that talks about why Bamboo tools are better than wood. I hear talk about it being a reed and a renewable resource, but I was hoping to find a fact sheet or something comparing the two materials.
Does anyone have one?:confused:

Bamboo is non-porous so it won't harbor bacteria like wood

Bamboo is a grass. I'm sure if you do some Google searching or look up Bamboo on wikipedia you'll find plenty of info that will suit your needs.

I found this online:
2nd refers to PC directly

Environmental Factors
1. Bamboo grows at a far faster rate than wood and can be replaced faster. An entire forest can be regenerated in three to five years. Switching to bamboo products would lessen the stress on the world's forests.
Strength
2. Bamboo is actually a grass but can be as strong as steel. Utensils made of bamboo will last longer and be far more durable than their wood counterparts.
Biodegradable
3. Bamboo utensils are 100 percent biodegradable. Hikers and campers can dispose of them without worrying about harming the environment.
Health and Safety
4. Bamboo products can be grown without the use of pesticides as opposed to wooden products.
Usability
5. Bamboo utensils and products are light and easy to clean. They also are water resistant and do not stain.
6. Bamboo: Not your mother's wooden spoon
7. Remember that greyed wooden spoon in your mother's kitchen? You should have dreaded it more for its color than its sting on your leg!
8. Wooden spoons are inherently prone to growing bacteria. The grey color that they each turn is actually a colony of mildew growing in the spoon. Bleaching will not remove it, and soaking it makes it worse. So what choice have you with your expensive cookware (besides plastic) when you don't want to scratch its non-stick surface?
9. Pampered Chef introduced a line of bamboo spoons in the late 1990s. Unlike old fashioned wooden spoon, these spoons are made up of a different plant family-grass. Since the woody portion of bamboo is similar in structure to the blades of grass in your yard, it has different qualities than wood. The most notable quality is the near impervious nature of its surface.
10. These spoons and spatulas are kind to your cookware and even kinder to your food. Since bamboo does not absorb water the way that wood does, it also will not harbor those bacteria that love to contaminate your recipes. The added benefit is no cracking and warping. You will enjoy the blonde color of the spoon for years.
11. Your mother would never have considered a wooden spoon to crumble meat in her skillet. No problem with the bamboo spoon! For the same reason it does not change color, it will not absorb the fat from the meat. These bamboo spoons and spatulas will not suffer the detriments of the heat the way that plastic utensils do. Plastic will lose its strength with repeated use, making for droopy, useless heads.
12. For the price, Pampered Chef bamboo utensils are money well spent. The three spoon collection, two round and one oval, carries a price tag of around $7US. Unless you happen to put the spoon on the burner (yes, it is flammable), you will be using these spoons a decade from now.
13. Pampered Chef bamboo spatulas are likewise priced, two 13" spatulas for about $7US. Other bamboo items include the "spooners" and tongs. Spooners are 6" spoons perfect for dips, and the tongs are perfect for bagels in the toaster. Tongs are $2US and spooners are about $4US.
14. Overall, Pampered Chef bamboo utensils get a 10 for value and versatility. They go from pretty on the counter, to gentle in the skillet, to the dishwasher and back. A trip they will make for many happy cooking years.

You can also refer to page 4 of the new catalog for more info.

Bamboo is non pourus, it won't crack or split like wood does. Plus it's ECO friendly and everyone is excited about that now a days!

Thank you!
I had read the little tidbits on CC and from the catalog...but I was looking for the more in depth list...
ToDi4Food--Thank you very much! That's what I was looking for!

ToDi4Food said:
They go from pretty on the counter, to gentle in the skillet, to the dishwasher and back. A trip they will make for many happy cooking years.

I thought you couldn't put bamboo in the dishwasher...is that just for the platters, bowls and trays because they have multiple pieces of bamboo glued together?

mrshamel3808 said:
I thought you couldn't put bamboo in the dishwasher...is that just for the platters, bowls and trays because they have multiple pieces of bamboo glued together?

:thumbup:That is correct. Spoons (pieces that are solid) are safe for the dishwasher but the glued together items can't take the heat (or water pressure or whatever it is that destroys the glue).

I'd also mention that our Bamboo Products are sealed.

ToDi4Food - Thank You! Excellent, Excellent and perfect timing as they're March Specials!

does anyone know the best way to take care of these so they don't fade?

I think if you follow the use and care instructions and just hand wash with a soft sponge and dry immediately, you'll have the best results. If it fades, call Customer Service or do a product adjustment if it's under the guarantee period.

I love the bamboo, but did have a brand new small bamboo spoon split in the bowl of it. HO is going to replace it. Wouldn't you know, I had just opened the package of two, and was giving one to a game winner at a show--she made sure to tell everyone it was defective.

Bamboo spoons are made with toxic glue. With all the benefits of bamboo it is prone to split very often because it is grass and not made of solid piece like a real wooden spoon. Bamboo plant goes over preparations with chemical elements in order to make something out of it. Therefore bamboo kitchen tools can never be natural or organic. The original bamboo material is organic but when they start doing something out of it, they use of glue and other staff to make it kitchen tools out of it. I am for old fashion wood spoons and kitchen tools. With a proper care, they can serve you for years and stay clean and beautiful. All you should do is to wash them with soap water, wipe dry and season with mineral oil.

1. What is the main difference between bamboo and wood tools?

Bamboo and wood are both natural materials commonly used for kitchen tools, but bamboo is a type of grass while wood comes from trees. Bamboo is also known for being more durable and sustainable than wood, as it grows faster and can be harvested without killing the plant.

2. Are bamboo tools safe to use in the kitchen?

Yes, bamboo is a safe and non-toxic material for kitchen tools. It is naturally antimicrobial, meaning it resists the growth of bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. It is also generally lightweight and easy to handle, making it a practical choice for everyday use.

3. How do bamboo and wood tools compare in terms of durability?

Bamboo is known for being more durable than wood, as it is less likely to crack or warp over time. This is because bamboo has a higher tensile strength, meaning it can withstand more stress and pressure. However, both materials can last a long time if properly cared for.

4. Can bamboo and wood tools be used for the same tasks?

Yes, bamboo and wood tools can be used for the same tasks in the kitchen. They are both versatile materials that can be crafted into various shapes and sizes to suit different cooking needs. However, some people prefer bamboo for chopping and slicing, while others prefer the sturdiness of wood for heavy-duty tasks.

5. Which is more environmentally friendly, bamboo or wood tools?

Bamboo is generally considered to be more environmentally friendly than wood. This is because bamboo is a highly renewable resource that grows quickly and can be sustainably harvested. In comparison, trees take longer to grow and can be depleted if not managed properly. However, using responsibly sourced wood can also be a sustainable choice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefbilyeu
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefNic
  • NooraK