• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do Bamboo Platters/Bowls Need Oiling?

In summary, it is recommended to oil bamboo platters and bowls before first use to prevent drying and cracking and maintain their color and shine. It is recommended to oil them every 3-6 months or as needed depending on usage and exposure to heat or moisture. Food-safe oils such as mineral oil or coconut oil can be used for this purpose. To oil the platters and bowls, they should be cleaned and dried thoroughly and a thin layer of oil should be applied and left to sit before wiping off excess. While it is not necessary to oil bamboo platters and bowls, it is highly recommended to prolong their lifespan and prevent absorption of food and odors from repeated use.
cheld01
Does anyone know if you can or need to oil the bamboo platters/bowls at any time after any uses? I have a customer that's used to using oil to treat her wooden salad bowls and wanted to know if it's something that needs to or can be done with the bamboo ones too.

Any help would be great. I've tried looking throughout everywhere I could think of and all I can find is that bamboo doesn't absorb moisture like wood, so I'm thinking that you wouldn't need to oil the bamboo at all.

Thanks in advance for any help and or ideas.

I would think that oiling would not be needed since they are nonporus.......

Let's see what the Use and Care and Product Information Pages say...hmm.... there's nothing there about oiling, just to handwash and dry immediately. So I'd say that there's no oiling required.

Thanks so much for the added information! I really appreciate it. I didn't think they'd need any oiling, but thought I'd check to make sure.:)

Well, I've used these as my oil dipping bowls and they almost repelled the oil.....so I don't think it would do any good!!! The wooden bowls could crack easily since they are so dry and brittle, so I could see how that would help them!

one of the consultants at my team meeting this week said that the fact that they don't need to be oiled is a good selling point.

1. Do bamboo platters/bowls need to be oiled before use?

Yes, it is recommended to oil bamboo platters and bowls before first use to help prevent drying and cracking. This also helps to maintain their natural color and shine.

2. How often should I oil my bamboo platters/bowls?

It is recommended to oil bamboo platters and bowls every 3-6 months, or as needed depending on usage and exposure to heat or moisture.

3. What type of oil should I use on my bamboo platters/bowls?

You can use a food-safe oil such as mineral oil or coconut oil to oil your bamboo platters and bowls. Avoid using vegetable or olive oil as they can turn rancid over time.

4. How do I oil my bamboo platters/bowls?

To oil your bamboo platters and bowls, first clean and dry them thoroughly. Then, using a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of oil to the surface of the bamboo. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight, then wipe off any excess oil before use.

5. Can I use my bamboo platters/bowls without oiling them?

While it is not necessary to oil bamboo platters and bowls, it is highly recommended to help prolong their lifespan and maintain their appearance. Oiling also helps to prevent absorption of food and odors from repeated use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • IAmChefJ
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
itsjustCarla
Replies