• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bamboo and Bacteria: Debunking the Myth - Learn the Truth Tonight!

strongly...against bamboo, the silicon is a great option as well as the non-bamboo cutting boards. I have one for meat, one for veggies. A good soak in a clorox and water solution should kill any bacteria if any for the bamboo, but I am not sure how that would effect the finish. The mold issue is bothersome. Just a thought that she may not have been using the hot water setting/drying on her dishwasher since that would heat the bamboo enough to kill any bacteria. If she put it away and there was still moisture on the surface, that could be a culprit too, especially if it is a dirty ol' utinsel drawer that her 7yr old puts
thecougchef
I have a show tonight and the host said shes disappointed that bamboo is the special because she was told bamboo holds in bacteria.

does anyone know anything about this?? :confused:

I LOVE my bamboo products. Anyone know anything I can say to sway her into falling in love with these products too??

This is a great opportunity to refer to the Product Information Guide on Consultant's Corner.

Under bamboo it states:
Handcrafted cooking utensils are made of bamboo, a natural, renewable resource that resists staining, cracking, warping, and doesn’t absorb moisture or conduct heat.

thecougchef said:
I LOVE my bamboo products. Anyone know anything I can say to sway her into falling in love with these products too??

It's great that you love your bamboo... I love mine too... just remember... we are NOT in the convincing business. If the bamboo isn't right for her... it's not right for her.

Just wanted to add - she may be confusing bamboo with wood - you might want to point out the differences that Colleen posted.

finley1991 said:
Under bamboo it states:
Handcrafted cooking utensils are made of bamboo, a natural, renewable resource that resists staining, cracking, warping, and doesn’t absorb moisture or conduct heat.

}}memorizing{{

thanks. ill be sure to bring up the wood/bamboo difference.

& its hard not to try to convince. because i love all of the products! :love:

thecougchef said:
& its hard not to try to convince. because i love all of the products! :love:

I KNOW!!! That's why I try to remind myself of that all the time! :)

This is funny I seen this. I held a show as hostess and now am signed up as a consultant and this was brought up by a friend of mine at my party.

Good luck!

finley1991 said:

I love using my bamboo when I'm working with raw meat for this exact reason. Throw it in the dishwasher when done and it comes out perfectly clean!

I had a host that used her bamboo spoon (2 I believe), she washed them in her dishwasher like she always does (I do too) and then put them away. When she went to use them again, they were moldy. AUGH!! I didn't quite know what to say....she did everything just like I do and I've never heard of that problem. I gave her a new set and haven't heard anything more.

I wonder if there was a crack in it that got moisture inside of it?

If she feels so strongly against the bamboo, the silicon is a great option as well as the non-bamboo cutting boards. I have one for meat, one for veggies. A good soak in a clorox and water solution should kill any bacteria if any for the bamboo, but I am not sure how that would effect the finish. The mold issue is bothersome. Just a thought that she may not have been using the hot water setting/drying on her dishwasher since that would heat the bamboo enough to kill any bacteria. If she put it away and there was still moisture on the surface, that could be a culprit too, especially if it is a dirty ol' utinsel drawer that her 7yr old puts his grubby mitts into to get a peanut butter spreader and then all those spores just fester in the warm dark drawer and cling to the helpless bamboo spatula who didn't hurt anyone... Poor helpless bamboo spat. Covered in mold without any friends to comfort it. Oh I do need to get out more...

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
If she feels so strongly against the bamboo, the silicon is a great option as well as the non-bamboo cutting boards. I have one for meat, one for veggies. A good soak in a clorox and water solution should kill any bacteria if any for the bamboo, but I am not sure how that would effect the finish. The mold issue is bothersome. Just a thought that she may not have been using the hot water setting/drying on her dishwasher since that would heat the bamboo enough to kill any bacteria. If she put it away and there was still moisture on the surface, that could be a culprit too, especially if it is a dirty ol' utinsel drawer that her 7yr old puts his grubby mitts into to get a peanut butter spreader and then all those spores just fester in the warm dark drawer and cling to the helpless bamboo spatula who didn't hurt anyone... Poor helpless bamboo spat. Covered in mold without any friends to comfort it. Oh I do need to get out more...
LOL. I enjoyed reading that. LOL

I would have to agree...mainly with the "I do need to get out more" part!:D

This is in reference to clothing but same principle
Bamboo is antibacterial and deodorizing by nature. Scientists have found that bamboo contains a unique anti-bacteria and bacteriostasis bio-agent named "bamboo kun". Maintained in the finished bamboo fabric, this prevents bacterial growth. Bamboo garments will stay fresh and odour free for longer making it the hygienic and healthy choice for active wear.

Bamboo is almost non-porous like our stones. that is why they can handle the heat better than wood. I think she is getting bamboo & wood mixed up to.

Veevahchef said:
Bamboo is almost non-porous like our stones. that is why they can handle the heat better than wood. I think she is getting bamboo & wood mixed up to.

i meant they can handle the moisure and the heat better:)

I think I do as well... I was begining to feel sorry for the spatula!:cry:

Lorna May said:
This is in reference to clothing but same principle
Bamboo is antibacterial and deodorizing by nature. Scientists have found that bamboo contains a unique anti-bacteria and bacteriostasis bio-agent named "bamboo kun". Maintained in the finished bamboo fabric, this prevents bacterial growth. Bamboo garments will stay fresh and odour free for longer making it the hygienic and healthy choice for active wear.

Does merrill make PC logo shirts out of bamboo fibers... the new interactive format... close quarters and all that? Oh, I guess not. I will just have to wear deoderant. But, very cool information on bamboo. I love those bamboo kun scienist dudes!

Does merrill make PC logo shirts out of bamboo fibers... the new interactive format... close quarters and all that? Oh, I guess not. I will just have to wear deoderant. But, very cool information on bamboo. I love those bamboo kun scienist dudes!
Please!!

:D

1. What is "Bamboo Holding Bacteria"?

"Bamboo Holding Bacteria" is a term used to describe the potential risk of bacteria being trapped in the small crevices of bamboo cutting boards or utensils. These bacteria can potentially contaminate food and cause food-borne illnesses.

2. Is bamboo a suitable material for kitchen use?

Yes, bamboo is a popular material for kitchen products due to its sustainability and durability. However, proper care and maintenance should be taken to prevent bacteria buildup.

3. How can I prevent bacteria from building up on my bamboo products?

To prevent bacteria buildup, it is important to properly clean and dry your bamboo products after each use. You can also periodically treat them with food-grade mineral oil to help seal the surface and prevent bacteria from penetrating the wood.

4. Are there any specific cleaning products or methods recommended for bamboo products?

We recommend using mild dish soap and warm water to clean bamboo products. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the bamboo. You can also use a vinegar solution or a mixture of baking soda and water for deeper cleaning.

5. Do you offer any bamboo products that are specifically designed to prevent bacteria buildup?

Yes, we offer a line of bamboo cutting boards and utensils that are treated with a food-grade, antimicrobial coating to prevent bacteria growth. These products are also dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cathyskitchen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scrapnL8
  • Porchechef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • paroese