• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baked Potstickers Substitution?

In summary, Beth is trying to substitute the asian ingredients in a Baked Potsticker recipe with different ingredients like chicken and cheese. She has not tried the recipe out yet and is unsure how much sour cream or mayo to add. Erica suggests trying the recipe at home first, before taking it to a party.
kitchenqueen
I have a host who LOVES the idea and look of the Baked Potsticker recipe, however she isn't a big asian food fan...she sent me an email asking if we could substitute the asian ingredients and maybe just use chicken and cheese, etc. She is hosting a show for me in October. I haven't even tried this recipe out and was wondering if anyone else has. I love asain food and didn't even think to change the recipe, which is why this request really caught me off guard! Is it possible to substitute the ingredients? I figured maybe it was do-able, but ofcourse wanted everyone's input from here! The one thing I love about the PC recipes is that you can substitute most of the time and not have to follow a recipe exactly to get great results. If anyone had any ideas or has actually tried the recipe out I would love your advice and input!! I plan on responding to her email when I have a definite answer!! Thanks!! :D :D

Fun of SubstitutionHi Erica,

When doing substitutions, I'd try them at home 1st before doing it at the show, but I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do the substitution. You could in fact follow a receipe for making meat and cheese stuffed Perogies, but instead of using the dough, just use the wontons....
Just an idea for you, so you'd have something to follow...
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!
Cheers,
Angela

Well we are having a farewell party for a friend this Saturday - I think that would be a great time to try it out. I'll let them know that they are my guinea pigs on a new recipe! ;) Hopefully I will get some good feedback. I will let you know how it turns out!!

Baked Potstickers SubstitutionI was wondering the same thing about substituting. I am going to take this to a party this weekend and they are not meat eaters. So I thought maybe using all vegatables instead of chicken. Has anyone tried that?? I did make the potstickers and they are wonderful. The Asian taste is not that strong. :)
Thanks...

I substitute ingredients all the time. The thing you have to keep in mind is that you substitute like things - moisture content, fat, etc. If you substitute chicken for ground beef you might need a little extra fat or some sour cream for example. If I'm not sure I will try to find a similar recipe and see what they did. If it's a big change (especially with seasonings) I try to make it home on trial first but I have to say that I often do it at the show. Sometimes the host gets the wrong ingredient or she decides to substitute. I have never had a problem when the basic recipe is PC!

I tried them at home and we were not too fond of them and we normally love Asian food. But the water chestnuts overpowered the taste to me. So if I make them at home I plan on leaving them out next time. Besides DH hates water chestnuts but at least gave them a try. I can normally handle them, but just thought it was waaaay too many for my taste. That was all we tasted. And the sauce was ok to me, but no one else liked it. They said it was too spicy to them. I have a bunch of weinies here..lol. I did notice at Walmart where i shop that they only had one container last night of the jalapeno jelly left,after having a BUNCH last week. So my thought was there must be more PC consultants around here than I thought ;)

I'm not too crazy for water chestnuts either, if I make them at home I'll leave those out for sure! :p

Beth - you have a good point on keeping the moisture content in mind. Sour cream would work I think, maybe with a little ranch seasoning or maybe even a garlic clove? If anyone finds a recipe similar let me know. I emailed my host back (who wants the substitution) and was honest with her and told her that I haven't tried the recipe at all yet. But I did tell her that I am planning on trying it out this Saturday and will let her know if it works. I think that it would work fine, I am just wondering how much sour cream or mayo and seasonings (if any) I should add? Any suggerstions? Thanks for everyone's input!! :)

I am new, but here's my thought. If you are giving a different demo of the recipe, you might not spotlight the correct tools.

As a long time lover of trying new recipes, I change things all the time at home. Since you are bringing a "portable kitchen", I would try it at home first to make sure the seasonings are correct.

Good luck.

I tried themI was reading this going, "What potstickers are they talking about?... Waterchestnuts?" At our team meeting we split up and made different recipes. I wasn't in the potsticker group but tried them. We all agreed that the filling was really good. They were laughing because they forgot several ingredients. Now I realize that waterchestnuts must have been one of them. It was very good without them. They also forgot to put oil on the won tons, YUK!

I remember thinking at the time that the filling would also be very good with green chilies and shredded cheese mixed in omit ginger and served in little tortilla cups.

I tried the substitution!Okay so I made the Baked Potstickers yesterday for a gathering we had with chicken, cheese and sour cream and they turned out GREAT!! :D

Here is what I did: I bought the precooked tyson's chicken strips and chopped it all up with my food chopper and shredded some cheddar cheese witht the cheese grate then I added a 1/4 cup of sour cream. I even sprinkled alittle taco seasoning in it to give it some more taste. I mixed all the ingredients in the batter bowl and scooped the mixture with the small scoop onto the wontons. My husband and I had so much fun making up our own little designs with the wontons! I made the ones PC shows in the SB and they are too cute! Anyway, I sprayed olive oil in them since I didn't have the basil oil. Then I followed the baking instructions 425 for about 12 minutes. I made 2 batches and set them on the medium plate and had two of the small bowls in the caddy with salsa and guacomole. They went FAST!! Good thing it was just an appetizer!

It was fun trying this out anfd I think with the Potstickers you can really get creative and make up different mixtures! Anyway, it turne out great and I wanted to let you all know that! Mixtures (without the waterchest nuts especially :p ) can vary and still turn out great!!

Ok here's what a host and I came up with she wanted to make the potstickers and the creamy crab tart (which I think is a very good recipe to show and get ready ahead of time using the prep bowls) but I did not want to make 2 involved recipes so she made up the ingredients ahead of time from the creamy crab tart and we used that in the potstickers as well. that way we had chicken and seafood potstickers! everyone liked the crab ones better... So I say substute away!!!

Oooh, that sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!!

with regards to the waterchestnuts...since they are valued in foods primarily for their ability to stay crunchy when cooked, I usually only put in enough to get the crunch factor and I will foodchop the them until they're small enough to be disguised.

Also, I didn't really fancy the canned chicken in this recipe....so have substituted w/ ground pork (that was cooked prior to adding in recipe) and that was successful, too.

1. Can I use wonton wrappers instead of potsticker wrappers for baked potstickers?

Yes, you can definitely use wonton wrappers as a substitute for potsticker wrappers. However, keep in mind that wonton wrappers are thinner and may require less cooking time.

2. Is there a gluten-free option for the potsticker wrappers in the baked potstickers recipe?

Yes, you can use rice paper wrappers or gluten-free wonton wrappers as a substitute for potsticker wrappers in the baked potstickers recipe.

3. Can I use ground chicken instead of ground pork in the filling for baked potstickers?

Absolutely! Ground chicken can be used as a substitute for ground pork in the filling for baked potstickers. You can also use ground turkey or tofu as a vegetarian option.

4. Are there any alternatives to using soy sauce in the baked potstickers recipe?

If you have a soy allergy, you can use coconut aminos or tamari sauce as a substitute for soy sauce in the baked potstickers recipe. You can also omit the soy sauce altogether and season the filling with other spices and sauces.

5. Can I freeze the baked potstickers for later use?

Yes, you can freeze the baked potstickers for later use. Make sure to let them cool completely before placing them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, simply reheat in the oven or on the stovetop.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
klsnyder
  • vick
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
skmartin41
  • trisigma730
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies