• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Passion Party Appetizer: Making a Substitute for Sundried Tomato Pesto

In summary, the author offered to bring an appetizer to a friends party tomorrow night and is already bringing Sangria. The author wanted to do the baked brie but preferred the sundried tomato pesto version. They did not have the ingredients needed, including the tomatoes, brie, and french baguette. The author decided to make more of the pesto mix and mix with pine nuts as an alternative. This is not crazy.
kcmckay
Gold Member
So I offered to bring an appetizer to my friends Passion Party tomorrow night. I am already bringing Sangria. I wanted to do the baked brie but I like the sundried tomato pesto version. I didn't feel like driving out of my way to the good grocery store and figured I should find all the stuff at bad one close to home. Well they didn't have the tomatoes, brie or french baguette. I don't mind stopping on the way to get brie and bread on way tomorrow. I was going early anyway. However, I know cutting up the tomatoes is a pain. And since I was going to use my TS pesto mix, which happens to actually be dried tomato and garlic basil pesto mix. I thought maybe making more of that and mixing with pine nuts would be an ok alternative. Is this crazy? TIA

From SB fall 2007
This is yummy!The Pampered Chef ®
Tangy Pepper-Pecan Brie
Recipe 1/2 cup pecan halves
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and seeded
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1 4-inch round (8 ounces) Brie cheese with rind, room temperature
1 loaf (16 ounces) French baguette
Vegetable oil 1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coarsely chop pecans using Chef's Knife. Chop jalapeño using Food Chopper. In Small Batter Bowl, combine jalapeño and preserves; mix well using Skinny Scraper. 2. Cut Brie in half horizontally using Utility Knife. Place one half of Brie, cut side up, onto center of Large Round Stone. Spread half of the apricot mixture evenly over bottom half of Brie using Small Spreader. Top with half of the pecans and remaining half of Brie, cut side up. Spread remaining apricot mixture over Brie; sprinkle with remaining pecans. 3. Using Bread Knife, cut baguette on a bias into twenty-four 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange baguette slices around Brie; spray with oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Bake 8-10 minutes or until baguette slices are golden brown and Brie begins to soften. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve using Bamboo Spreader.

kcmckay said:
So I offered to bring an appetizer to my friends Passion Party tomorrow night. I am already bringing Sangria. I wanted to do the baked brie but I like the sundried tomato pesto version. I didn't feel like driving out of my way to the good grocery store and figured I should find all the stuff at bad one close to home. Well they didn't have the tomatoes, brie or french baguette. I don't mind stopping on the way to get brie and bread on way tomorrow. I was going early anyway. However, I know cutting up the tomatoes is a pain. And since I was going to use my TS pesto mix, which happens to actually be dried tomato and garlic basil pesto mix. I thought maybe making more of that and mixing with pine nuts would be an ok alternative. Is this crazy? TIA

I don't think it is crazy at all, I have actually once just toasted pine nuts and put it ontop of the brie and then wrapped the whole round in puffed pastry and baked it till golden and puffed and got raving reviews.

I think that's the beauty of brie! (I'm learning). You can put about anything on it! My friend just puts fig-preserves straight out of the jar. It's sensational !!!

thank you for your responses but as I was looking in the fridge I discoverd I had some sun dried tomatoes I'd forgotten I'd had so I made up the "filling" last night. I'm just going to go to party early and get brie and bread on the way and bake it at her house so it's fresh for the guests.

I love baked brie with raspberry preserves!

What can I use as a substitute for sundried tomato pesto?

There are a few options you can try as a substitute for sundried tomato pesto. You can use regular pesto, sun-dried tomatoes in oil, or a combination of both. You can also use roasted red peppers or marinated artichoke hearts for a similar flavor profile.

Can I make a vegan version of this appetizer?

Yes, you can definitely make a vegan version of this appetizer. Instead of using regular pesto, you can use a vegan pesto made with nuts, olive oil, and herbs. You can also use marinated artichoke hearts or roasted red peppers as a substitute for the sundried tomato pesto.

How can I make this appetizer gluten-free?

To make this appetizer gluten-free, you can use gluten-free crackers or bread as a base. You can also use a gluten-free pesto or make your own by blending herbs, nuts, and olive oil. Make sure to check the ingredients of any store-bought pesto to ensure it is gluten-free.

Can I prepare this appetizer in advance?

Yes, you can prepare this appetizer in advance. You can make the pesto and store it in the fridge for up to a week. You can also assemble the appetizers and store them in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Just make sure to add the fresh herbs right before serving for the best flavor.

What other toppings can I use besides the suggested ones?

You can get creative with your toppings and use whatever you like or have on hand. Some suggestions include sliced olives, roasted garlic, sliced salami or prosciutto, diced bell peppers, or crumbled feta cheese. You can also mix and match different toppings to create a variety of flavors.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• StacieB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Tamzin1020
  • babywings76