• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Baked Beans: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, Erin brought Busch's Baked Beans to a picnic and found that all she did was add mustard and ketchup to them and they turned out great. She recommends using a recipe found in the Casual Cooking book, but if you want to make them especially for your family, she suggests doubling the recipe.
PamperYourKitchen
This may sound silly, but I've never made baked beans before, and I was asked to bring that to a picnic this Sunday afternoon... I think all my mother did was put in some mustard and ketchup and get them nice and hot...
any suggestions to this beginning chef?

Erin,
Busch's Baked Beans taste very similar to home made if they don't come out for you. When I make baked beans I don't measure any ingredients, but I add onion, dry mustard, ketchup, molasses, and bacon. I know, that probably didn't help you at all, but I tried.

Good Luck,
Debbie

Thanks! I think I might just resort to getting the Busch's pre-done beans :) Save the learning for when I have a little more time :eek:

There is a great recipe for Baked Beans in the Casual Cooking book. I made it at a show and a number of people stated they don't normally like beans, but loved this recipe. A little more work than opening a can, but it would be homemade!

Have a great weekend!

Erin,

I would rather make them homemade and brag I made them, (being a Pampered Chef) then saying "I just opened up a can and heated them up."

Here is the recipe I use alot cause its what the family asks me to bring:

1 lg. can pork n' beans
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 onion (chopped)
Mix all together and poor into greased pan and bake at 300 for 2 hrs stirring occasionally.

You can't screw this recipe up...mix in more to taste if needed but dont try to hurry it up it will thicken as you cook it.

Awesome :) I'll try it!! Thanks!

This may be too late, but my dad always add beer, brown sugar, mustard, garlic powder, onion. He uses just a basic can of baked beans to begin with. He says the beer is the secret!

Michelle

Erin,

How did the baked beans go? Which recipe did you end up using?? Fill us in :) !

chefloriray said:
Erin,

How did the baked beans go? Which recipe did you end up using?? Fill us in :) !

Used your recipe, and they turned out GREAT! Thanks, I'll definatly keep that one around!

Erin:
I'm so glad you found a recipe you like. Here's another to try. I never care for "ketchup" style beans. Here's my mom's recipe, personalized a little bit to suit my family. If you try them, hope you enjoy. :)

1 can (40 oz) Great Northern beans (Do not drain.)
1/2 lb. "smoked" bacon, fried and crumbled, along w/ drippings (If bacon was very fatty and it seems like alot, don't use all of it, but use at least 2-4 tablespoons.)
About 2 tbsp very finely chopped onion
2/3 - 1 c. brown sugar (more or less to suit your taste)
Lots of finely ground black pepper (at least 1/2 - 1 tsp)

Mix all together. Bake, uncovered, 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hrs.

Note: I cut bacon into small pieces before frying, and then just fry in the small saute pan. I chop onion finely w/ food chopper (Can fry onion w/ bacon if desired.) I usually use more than the 2/3 c. sugar, but probably not a whole cup (I don't really measure.) If making for just my family, I use recipe as is. I double for get-togethers.

1. How do I prepare the beans before cooking?

Before cooking baked beans, you will need to soak them in water for at least 8 hours or overnight. This helps to soften the beans and reduce the cooking time.

2. What type of beans should I use?

The most commonly used beans for baked beans are navy beans or white beans. However, you can also use other types of beans such as black beans or kidney beans.

3. Can I use canned beans instead of dried beans?

Yes, you can use canned beans for a quicker cooking time. Just make sure to drain and rinse the beans before using them in the recipe.

4. How do I add flavor to my baked beans?

You can add flavor to your baked beans by using ingredients such as bacon, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, and spices like paprika and chili powder.

5. How long does it take to cook baked beans?

The cooking time for baked beans can vary, but it usually takes around 2-3 hours. However, if you are using canned beans, the cooking time may be shorter.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
  • munkee41182