• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baked Alaska Keeps Falling :(

In summary, there are several reasons why your Baked Alaska may be falling - such as overbeating the egg whites or not preparing the components correctly. While sponge cake is the traditional choice, you can use any cake that holds its shape when frozen. To prevent melting, make sure all components are thoroughly chilled before assembling. Baked Alaska can be made ahead of time and store-bought ice cream can be used, as long as it complements the other flavors.
mely
Any advice? I wanted to make a pink version for my first show and I made a test version in chocolate and it fell over :(

I don't know if it is long enough, but inserting a cake tester down thru all the layers while it is chilling might help. Another option would be to get a long cake dowel, sharpen one end, insert it down the center of all the layers, cut it off so it is flush with the top layer, then ice as normal. Doweling is used in cake decorating for stability.

Hope this helps.

Paula in TN

idea to keep cake from falling
mely said:
Any advice? I wanted to make a pink version for my first show and I made a test version in chocolate and it fell over :(

Maybe if you just cut the upper layers a little thinner that would help keep it from falling. Put more fillling between the bottom layers and less between the top.

OK I'll try these - poor me- more test cakes to eat - I am going to gain 20 pounds by my first show... LOL

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that your test version fell over. When making a pink version, try using a sturdier base such as a chocolate cookie crust or a graham cracker crust. Also, make sure to chill the crust before adding the filling to help it set. Another tip is to use gel food coloring instead of liquid, as it won't add extra liquid to the filling and potentially make it too runny. I hope this helps and good luck with your first show! Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy baking!

1. Why does my Baked Alaska keep falling?

There could be a few reasons why your Baked Alaska is falling. It could be due to overbeating the egg whites, not freezing the cake and ice cream long enough, or not baking the meringue for a long enough time. It's important to follow the recipe carefully and make sure all the components are prepared correctly.

2. Can I use a different type of cake for my Baked Alaska?

While sponge cake is the traditional choice for Baked Alaska, you can use any type of cake that will hold its shape when frozen. Pound cake, angel food cake, and even brownies can work well as a base for your Baked Alaska.

3. How do I prevent my Baked Alaska from melting?

The key to preventing your Baked Alaska from melting is to make sure all the components are thoroughly chilled before assembling. Freeze the cake and ice cream for at least 2 hours before assembling, and place the assembled Baked Alaska back in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving.

4. Can I make Baked Alaska ahead of time?

Yes, you can make Baked Alaska ahead of time. You can assemble the cake and freeze it for up to 2 days before serving. Just make sure to keep it in the freezer until ready to serve, and take it out of the freezer about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

5. Can I use store-bought ice cream for my Baked Alaska?

Yes, you can use store-bought ice cream for your Baked Alaska. Just make sure to choose a flavor that complements the other flavors in your Baked Alaska, and let it soften slightly before spreading it onto the cake. You can also use frozen yogurt or sorbet for a lighter option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
annew
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • KayteTUrner
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KayteTUrner