• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bailout Bill Just Failed in the House...

In summary, the Dow has fallen over 700pts and Nancy has never been a role model to me. Congress (both sides) is worried that they won't get re-elected if they vote for it but they also are told it's a crisis. China is said to be collecting interest on our debt, and my sister keeps talking about it.
janetupnorth said:
I can agree with that! :D

PHEW!! :blushing: Sometimes I feel like I am just way out there and nobody agrees with me!! :) I don't always make sense in writing, but it all makes sense in my head!!! :)

jenne said:
Oh...sorry... :)

BUT....Don't make any assumptions about which candidate I back because I want limited government. (not saying that you've done this, but can see how someone could) The limited government McCain talks about is not limited enough for me. I don't like either candidate that is placed before us this year, and feel that our two party system is a joke. I would like to see some REAL change....but REAL to the point that NEITHER candidate satisfies me.

Anyhow...that is another topic completely...and I won't rabbit trail that one any further on this thread about our economic mess. I just think the government needs to stay out of this mess we are in...many economists are against a bailout deal and feel that our economy would straighten itself out...I don't have time to look up the 'proof' for that, but I've read many articles lately from many different sources that have stated that. If I have time later, I will cite some of them here.

I couldn't agree more! The 2-party system is old news; we need some reform in that area. But until the 3rd party candidates get some media exposure and some serious funding, looks like we're stuck with it. :yuck:

jenne said:
PHEW!! :blushing: Sometimes I feel like I am just way out there and nobody agrees with me!! :) I don't always make sense in writing, but it all makes sense in my head!!! :)

Same here! Unfortunately I don't always make sense when I'm talking, either! hehe.

chefmeg said:
That is where we differ~I feel it is always useful to cite God's law, debate or not. HE is the higher power that I will have to justify myself to one day and my live is lived on that standard. Everything we do is judged by HIM and that includes how we spend our money, time and energy.
You may not think you are pissed off, but your tone comes through loud & clear in your posts~they say a whole other thing.
I will leave this thread in giving you one piece of advice~it can never always be someone else's "fault"~example...if you have found that the majority of your posts are being attacked, YOU may be the one with a problem. Everyone else can't be all wrong all the time.

Sorry if my tone comes off that way, but I'm definitely not. Not at anyone on here anyway :)

Hathery said:
I'm sorry, but I don't see your point? If the government is not going to make housing available to all its people at a proportionate cost (we ARE entitled to affordable housing IMO), then they must ensure that loans are available to people who need them. What's so horrible about that?

The housing market depends alot on where you live. Here in the middle of nowhere houses are way high. Granted if I didnt buy when I did we would be renting an apt cause houses are going for over 200k right now. They are that high because we have a lot of miners here that make some good money. I peopple should have shelter over thier head but if they cant afford a house then for crying out loud pay rent on an apt.

Jennie4PC said:
The housing market depends alot on where you live. Here in the middle of nowhere houses are way high. Granted if I didnt buy when I did we would be renting an apt cause houses are going for over 200k right now. They are that high because we have a lot of miners here that make some good money. I peopple should have shelter over thier head but if they cant afford a house then for crying out loud pay rent on an apt.
It seems so logical doesn't it?

janetupnorth said:
No, I think it is HOW you present yourself. I have no problem discussing opposing viewpoints. We have done it successfully here on MANY issues INCLUDING religion.

I'm not offended by your viewpoints but you need to discuss, debate, whatever within reasonable bounds.

You cannot quote statistics that aren't proven and state them as fact.
Read a small comment and yes I will use Kacey's word, manipulate it to your viewpoint.

No one is trying to scare anyone away. We had a great forum before you came and all the old people are still here. Some are choosing not to discuss politics and that is their choice.

I told you to use proper English meaning use the proper definition of a word as a dictionary stated it don't twist it into meaning something different.

Kacey was addressing the point above about taking a snip-it of something and making it seem like someone implied something else.

Leave the country, well, I missed that, but hey, if the government isn't living up to its INTENT AS FOUNDED, then it needs to get back to that. If you want to change it to your type of society and it won't, then you have every RIGHT in America to go elsewhere. I am thankful for those who have fought to make America what it is. Try leaving Cuba if you didn't like your government? The US lets us leave if we want.

No one is trying to force you out of here or America. You CHOSE to jump in on these topics and chose your words and I agree with Meg. It isn't one person disagreeing and it isn't because of opposing viewpoints, it is how you word things. You chose to jump in on a heated topic without getting to know people.

Where is a picture of an applauding person when I need one. Ditto, ditto, ditto... and did I say ditto?

jenne said:

I'm not too pleased with my guy at this point, either... however it's the lesser of two evils.

Hathery said:
Oh for the love...someone on here specifically said that abortion is wrong because it's in the Bible, and the Bible is God's word so it's the truth. There is absolutely no evidence other than religious tradition saying that the Bible is God's own word; believing it is does not make it fact.

Much of the Bible is certainly accurate historically, but the "law" portion of it cannot be used as factual evidence to prove anything in a debate. Even the most religious among us should know that.

I really don't recall quoting my ideals as fact either.

:confused:

Hathery said:
Oh for the love...someone on here specifically said that abortion is wrong because it's in the Bible, and the Bible is God's word so it's the truth. There is absolutely no evidence other than religious tradition saying that the Bible is God's own word; believing it is does not make it fact.

Much of the Bible is certainly accurate historically, but the "law" portion of it cannot be used as factual evidence to prove anything in a debate. Even the most religious among us should know that.

I really don't recall quoting my ideals as fact either.
Just because people don't believe God's Word doesn't mean it isn't true, either. But, I do agree that using the Bible in a debate isn't very helpful when debating with unbelievers.

Kitchen Diva said:

It's okay Kacey.

That kind of rhetoric usually comes from someone who has known the Truth, and has chosen to walk away from it.

Not saying it's the case here - but I've heard it before....almost exactly in those words.

Here's an article from September 30, 1999 about Fannie Mae and the home loan mess. Was the author a prophet? (No, I don't really think that he is a prophet, so don't go there.)
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0DE7DB153EF933A0575AC0A96F958260&sec=&spon=&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

This is outrageous! I plan on calling my Representatives & Senators. I think anyone who votes for something so horrible should be kicked out of office! I have phone numbers & will be calling to let them know what I think. I already emailed them. Now a phone call is in order. If you agree, please contact your Representatives too.

Steve Elliott, President, Grassfire.org Alliance

10/2/2008

The Bogus Bailout is getting worse.

The version passed by the Senate is still based on the $700 billion plan that gives government bureaucrats more control over the economy than perhaps at any time in our history.

But now, the Senate has added billions of dollars of pork (see below) and thinly-veiled tax bribes to the bailout in hopes that the House will be forced to swallow hard and accept it. Some examples of the pork:

-- millions of pork for Hollywood producers
-- millions more for stockcar race track owners
-- more than $192 million for Caribbean rum producers
-- over $200 million for Alaskan fisherman

+ + House Vote Friday; Faxes and Phone Calls needed now!

Once again, Congress and the President are doing everything in their power to IGNORE the will of the American people.

But they cannot ignore us if the faxes and phones are shut down with angry citizens who not only object to the Bogus Bailout but are offended that Congress has added pork and political bribes just to get it passed!

+ + Call your Representative NOW!

I'm asking you to call your House Representative now and register your opposition to the Bogus Bailout.

Also, call these House leaders:

Nancy Pelosi: 202-225-4965
John Boehner: 202-225-6205

+ + Fax Congress NOW!

I also want your Rep, your two Senators and other key leaders to get thousands of faxes opposing the Bogus Bailout.

Please go here to schedule your faxes right now (or to get
the information you need to send your own faxes):

http://www.grassfire.net/r.asp?U=11691&CID=242&RID=18070709

(If you have already sent faxes, thank you so much!)

Let's face it -- the leadership in Congress is gutless. They couldn't persuade their colleagues or the American people that their bill should be passed. So they turned to pork and political bribes.

Shame on Congress! Please join me in saying "NO" to the Bogus Bailout.

Steve Elliott

Grassfire.org Alliance is a non-profit 501(c) 4 issues advocacy organization dedicated to equipping our 1.5 million-strong network of grassroots conservatives with the tools that give you a real impact on the key issues of our day.

ChefBeckyD said:
It's okay Kacey.

That kind of rhetoric usually comes from someone who has known the Truth, and has chosen to walk away from it.

Not saying it's the case here - but I've heard it before....almost exactly in those words.

If you're talking about me, then yes...I was raised Christian. And no, I am no longer a practicing Christian. I am an interested spectator at this point.

Hathery said:
If you're talking about me, then yes...I was raised Christian. And no, I am no longer a practicing Christian. I am an interested spectator at this point.

I'm curious, what is your definition of "Christian"? What specific denomination.

(If that is too personal and you do not want to answer in public, feel free to PM me.)

janetupnorth said:
I'm curious, what is your definition of "Christian"? What specific denomination.

(If that is too personal and you do not want to answer in public, feel free to PM me.)

No, it's not too personal :) My definition of Christian is someone who believes that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal salvation. I was raised WELS Lutheran, to let you know my upbringing.

Hathery said:
No, it's not too personal :) My definition of Christian is someone who believes that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal salvation. I was raised WELS Lutheran, to let you know my upbringing.

My daughter goes to a WELS Lutheran school, but I was raised Baptist. That definitely helps me understand your perspective a little bit. We definitely have some differences from the school on a few things but overall it is MUCH better than the public school and large classes right now!

janetupnorth said:
My daughter goes to a WELS Lutheran school, but I was raised Baptist. That definitely helps me understand your perspective a little bit. We definitely have some differences from the school on a few things but overall it is MUCH better than the public school and large classes right now!

WELS Lutheran is pretty strict as far as doctrine goes. I agree; your daughter is very lucky to go to a school like that. Public schools have class sizes that are really out of control is some areas. Did she go to public school before she went to the Lutheran School?

Hathery said:
WELS Lutheran is pretty strict as far as doctrine goes. I agree; your daughter is very lucky to go to a school like that. Public schools have class sizes that are really out of control is some areas. Did she go to public school before she went to the Lutheran School?
No, she is only in 2nd grade. Our local school closed when she was 4, making the nearest school a 1 hour 15 minute bus ride each way and 26 in her kindergarten that year. She got into this school and had 9 in class.WELS is the most conservative Lutheran I believe, but we agree with most of their doctrine EXCEPT the way to be saved. However, I have a 7 year old that will not be swayed by much and studies well so if something comes up that she isn't sure about, you'd better believe that she says something and I also hear about it later to discuss it. :)When it comes to catchecism (?sp) time (7th-8th) I will be evaluating if she will continue there, but right now our Middle School is so bad, she'll be staying. For HS the only option is public school.ETA: It only costs me $350/yr. to send her there!

janetupnorth said:
No, she is only in 2nd grade. Our local school closed when she was 4, making the nearest school a 1 hour 15 minute bus ride each way and 26 in her kindergarten that year. She got into this school and had 9 in class.

WELS is the most conservative Lutheran I believe, but we agree with most of their doctrine EXCEPT the way to be saved. However, I have a 7 year old that will not be swayed by much and studies well so if something comes up that she isn't sure about, you'd better believe that she says something and I also hear about it later to discuss it. :)

When it comes to catchecism (?sp) time (7th-8th) I will be evaluating if she will continue there, but right now our Middle School is so bad, she'll be staying. For HS the only option is public school.

ETA: It only costs me $350/yr. to send her there!

Wow, that doesn't cost much at all!!! That's awesome!

Yes, WELS is definitely the most conservative Lutheran denomination. As a young person in catechism class, I really questioned much of the teaching (particular about women's roles in the church.) I would say that was my main basis for leaving the church (not any issues I had with the actual faith or with God.)

Hathery said:
Wow, that doesn't cost much at all!!! That's awesome!

Yes, WELS is definitely the most conservative Lutheran denomination. As a young person in catechism class, I really questioned much of the teaching (particular about women's roles in the church.) I would say that was my main basis for leaving the church (not any issues I had with the actual faith or with God.)

I've questioned the same teaching. Especially after studying Biblical Languages and Hermenuetics. This is an excellent book about the subject of a woman's role in the Church.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0801008859/?tag=pfamazon01-20

ChefBeckyD said:
I've questioned the same teaching. Especially after studying Biblical Languages and Hermenuetics. This is an excellent book about the subject of a woman's role in the Church.

Not meaning to hijack, but our church just had a Hermenuetics class a few weeks ago. I passed on it, but I'd never heard of it before then.

JAE said:
Not meaning to hijack, but our church just had a Hermenuetics class a few weeks ago. I passed on it, but I'd never heard of it before then.

I took it my Sophomore year of college - had to have it to take upper level Bible classes. It was so difficult, that they sold T-shirts in the bookstore with the caption "I survived Hermeneutics".

FYI:

Main Entry: her·me·neu·tic
Pronunciation: \ˌhər-mə-ˈnü-tik, -ˈnyü-\
Function: noun
Date: 1737
1plural but sing or plural in constr : the study of the methodological principles of interpretation (as of the Bible)
2: a method or principle of interpretation

ChefBeckyD said:
It's okay Kacey.

Me too- However originally I was laughing out loud...a big, deep belly laugh...but I didn't think that would be polite to post. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
I took it my Sophomore year of college - had to have it to take upper level Bible classes. It was so difficult, that they sold T-shirts in the bookstore with the caption "I survived Hermeneutics".

FYI:

Main Entry: her·me·neu·tic
Pronunciation: \ˌhər-mə-ˈnü-tik, -ˈnyü-\
Function: noun
Date: 1737
1plural but sing or plural in constr : the study of the methodological principles of interpretation (as of the Bible)
2: a method or principle of interpretation

I took Beauty School my second year of college... Perm anyone? :D

Kacey~you are tooooo funny!

Anyone notice that the stock market apparently wasn't notified of the bailout today?????

chefmeg said:
Kacey~you are tooooo funny!

Anyone notice that the stock market apparently wasn't notified of the bailout today?????

I think that the worst is yet to come. :( Probably sooner than later. I think it was Steph that said (maybe on another thread) about a terrorist attack coming with a weakened economy. I feel the same way.

ChefBeckyD said:

Thank you for sharing that; I'll definitely have to check that book out. :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heat123