• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boost Your Business with Professional Cookware Demos!

The difference is that a non-Pampered Chef pan would be more likely to have scratches or dents in it from being handled frequently. However, the rice should still come out clean.
pchefinski
I looked around and didn't find this, so I figured I'd post it for everyone. I just spoke with a director friend of mine for advice on boosting my business this year.. and she talked about how she demo's the cookware. Just a minute or two and people are knocked off their chairs!

When she gets to the host's house (usually 45 min before show), she (with the host's permission) puts on 1 cup water to boil in the professional saucepan. then when it comes to a boil, she adds 1/2 cup rice (not the minute cooking stuff!) and covers it, turning it down low. She goes on with her show, and by the time she gets through her demo, it has been probably 1.5 hours that the rice has been cooking. She gets it off the stove, comes back and asks the guests to think about something for a minute. If they put a pot of rice on to cook and left it for 1.5 hours, what would be the condition of the pan and how easy is it to clean? she said some people tell her they'd just throw the whole thing out! then she flips it over and dumps out the rice, and wipes it clean. That's it. She tells her guests that by hosting a $300 show, they'll get 1 half-price item, in addition to free products, and that if they use the half-price combos that are offered by PC, they can get the full professional cookware set for $220--and never ever have to buy a pan again! when people ask if it's dishwasher safe, she says no.. but they don't need it to be. the dishwasher is for things that are too gross to clean yourself. A little soapy water and a wipe with a dishrag is all one needs to clean these pans. she also quickly tells them if they do dishwasher the pans, it'll void the warranty b/c the soap strips the dupont nonstick off the pan.

i'm definately going to do this at my shows. when I told my husband about this, he just about fell out of his chair and grabbed the catalog to pick the piece of cookware i should get! lol.. and I tell you what, I love my husband, but he's NOT a cook at all--he'd burn water if given the chance.

I think in February, I'm going to do a "Worst Pan Ever" contest, where guests can bring their worst pan ever and the winner gets a prize from me (probably just a S/B or Quikut knife). Should be a nice tie-in to the Pan-O-Rama Feb/March sale I'm hoping to do well with.

That is a great idea to have a worst pan ever contest. Fantastic for February.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried out the rice experiment because I want to show that at my show next week to encourage Feb. bookings. It was burnt on the bottom and the whole thing plopped right out on the counter. I think people will ohh and ahh and hopefully buy cookware!

Amanda,

That sounds like a great way to boost cookware. I will try it at my show this sunday. I too need to boost my feb bookings.

Thanks for sharing!

LOVE this too! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Another pan demoBeing fairly new, I only have the 8" skillet - but my director does a similar demo that I am impressed with.

At the start of the show, she asks the host for a slice of cheese. She turns on the stove, puts the skillet on there, and adds the cheese - leaves it there for the whole demo. When she's done, she asks what people expect, and then slides the cheese out and wipes it clean :)

Question re: rice cooking demoI tried the rice thing last night and it worked great - after 1 1/2 hours the rice wasn't even burnt on the bottom! My question is this, how messed up would a non-Pampered Chef pan be after the same amount of time?

Is there really a huge difference that this would impress people? I was impressed that it wiped right off and the pan looked good as new, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Just wondered if anyone knew and if it is something that would be common knowledge among guests.

Thanks,

Val

pamperedval said:
I tried the rice thing last night and it worked great - after 1 1/2 hours the rice wasn't even burnt on the bottom! My question is this, how messed up would a non-Pampered Chef pan be after the same amount of time?

Is there really a huge difference that this would impress people? I was impressed that it wiped right off and the pan looked good as new, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Just wondered if anyone knew and if it is something that would be common knowledge among guests.

Thanks,

Val

The reason that I was so impressed with this is because I cook rice a lot (and for some reason haven't acquired the rice cooker..anyway..) and i ALWAYS without fail have a layer of rice stuck in the bottom of my (non-PC) pan, after only the suggested 14 minutes of cooking.. to show the difference, I guess you could always pick up a pan at Wal-mart for like $7 or $8 and try to cook the rice in it just like the PC demo. I'm sure after about 20 minutes, you'll have smoke just pouring out of it... The bottom of the rice burns VERY quickly once it's done, and I've been tempted more than once to toss the pan b/c I don't want to conquer cleaning it.
Also, you could use potatoes or pasta as an example too. How many of us put some water on to boil, add pasta or potatoes, and then forget about them? The director that told me about this always burns her potatoes.. she forgets about them, the water boils away and they burn to a crisp. But she said even when she put potatoes on in her PC pan the first time, and of course, forgot about them, she came to the stove, flipped her pan upside down and the potatoes fell out, and she wiped the pan clean with a paper towel--she was sold!

Last edited:
Thanks Amanda -

I had no point of reference to realize how amazing the rice thing really is! Hopefully some of my guests will have experienced the burnt rice stuck to their pans and want to switch to something better!

Should the whole thing just dump out in one big lump - mine didn't. I used one of the scrapers to get it out and then just rinsed with a little water and wiped with a cloth...

Val

pamperedval said:
Thanks Amanda -

I had no point of reference to realize how amazing the rice thing really is! Hopefully some of my guests will have experienced the burnt rice stuck to their pans and want to switch to something better!

Should the whole thing just dump out in one big lump - mine didn't. I used one of the scrapers to get it out and then just rinsed with a little water and wiped with a cloth...

Val

My director friend said that sometimes it dumps out in a lump for her.. sometimes she has to use a scraper.. sometimes she's had it on to cook for 1.5 hours and there is still water in it! (talk about a wimpy stove!).. she said that people have actually eaten the rice too!
The thing that just amazes me is that no matter what your level of skill is in the kitchen, if you have a set of cookware--the absolute STAPLE of a kitchen--that you can cook something in, swish some water in it and then wipe it out with a cloth and its clean...then cooking isn't a chore, it's a delight. Our cookware focuses on the cooking part.. not on the cleaning part. Designed so that we don't have to scrub the junk off it for an hour after we're done soaking it for 2.. If we bought it so that we could scrub it, it'd be called scrubware, or cleanware.. or maybe that was lame, but you get what I mean right? Would you buy a computer that you had to repair for an hour each night? And what fun would it be to use that computer if you did? What about a car? If you had to tinker with your car for an hour each day just to get it to work the next day, would you want to set it in neutral and push it off a cliff? I would. It's the same with our cookware. If you have to scrub your dishes for an hour each night just to get them clean enough to use tomorrow, you'd opt for McDonald's or pizza in a heartbeat. But our cookware is just the opposite. So, for a $220 investment (Prof set half-price combo with a $300 show), they have a set of pans that are LIFETIME guaranteed.. they can give them to their kids if they want.. How many of you got pans from your grandparents that looked like they just came out of the box? And, if something happened to them, could be returned for a brand new one?
Sorry to ramble about this, but it's just amazing to me. Having been to culinary school, I know that cookware is your staple in the kitchen; the thing that determines your love or hate relationship with cooking. We're helping our guests discover the chef in them, and they can't do that very well by ordering fries with their Big Mac.

I have a dim sum party next month. This demo would be great with the Asian theme and would be so funny!

I just need to aquire a sauce pan between now and then!

RachelNguyen said:
I have a dim sum party next month. This demo would be great with the Asian theme and would be so funny!

I just need to aquire a sauce pan between now and then!

I borrow from my director. Can you?

I just ordered the discounted professional family skillet on the supply order ~ it's only $50ish that way.

Had a party yesterday and did the rice demo - left it on for almost two hours and it just fell right out into the sink! The guests were impressed - lots of "wows" from them - unfortunately noone bought any cookware - but maybe they'll think about it and decide to purchase during the panorama months!

It is worth trying at your shows!

Val

i just got my family skillet. I am going to do this demo at a show on friday night....but I'm going to try it at home first!

One added thing that I have heard is to add some of the Pantry Cinnamon to the rice. It makes the kitchen smell really nice in addition to the demo of the cookware. And then you can also talk about the pantry products.

RE: non-stick coming off
pchefinski said:
she also quickly tells them if they do dishwasher the pans, it'll void the warranty b/c the soap strips the dupont nonstick off the pan.

I haven't been able to reach the test kitchens regarding this, but I do think that this is just slightly inaccurate.

I have been taught that the three layers of the cookware are baked into the pan so they won't flake or strip off of the pan.

However, I've been told that the dishwasher soap will void the warranty because it dulls the nonstick surface, and creates a very unsightly pan also.

Just a thought. You don't want guests questioning whether the nonstick surface (Dupont) can actually "come off"

good point.. :D

When I first signed up to sell, I hosted my second show myself. I bought the Professional cookware set for half price. Well, being new, having almost no contact with my director at the time and being so overwelmed I didn't read the directions, I did but a piece of my cookware in the dishwasher. It looks horrible now. I will never take it to a show. The inside is fine, but the outside turned a really light gray and has streaks all over it. Make sure you tell everyone NOT to put their cookware in the dishwasher!!!

Dumb QuestionI hope I don't sound too dumb, but does Palmolive or any other dish soap ruin the non-stick? If so, I've been using Palmolive on my Analon cookware for 8 years now . . . maybe that's why the non-stick doesn't seem to work so well. What do you clean our pots with?

Caramel Cookware DemoI found another version of this demo using Kraft Caramel cubes from the bulk section. The consultant stated that it smelled more pleasant than the burnt rice. Can someone refer me to this since I can't seem to find it?

Amy Czyz

Dish soap versus Dishwashing soap on pans
HJPChef said:
I hope I don't sound too dumb, but does Palmolive or any other dish soap ruin the non-stick? If so, I've been using Palmolive on my Analon cookware for 8 years now . . . maybe that's why the non-stick doesn't seem to work so well. What do you clean our pots with?

Any Dish soap is fine. Dishwasher soap is not. Palmolive away!

Cinnamon BitesThis is what I'm doing at my shows, it's simple and it is Ooey gooey good and lots of wows!!
1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup pecan, 1 pkg Pillsbury Flaky rolls and I tell them that I will bring the Cinnamon and the Vanilla. I also tell them that we will be preparing these on the Stove top in a saute pan (8'') and finishing them in the oven.
Combine all the ingredients (except the rolls) mix and spread evenly. Lay the rolls on top and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Invert right away onto Simple Additions or Celebrate Plate (I love that idea!) Scrape any extra goo from pan to buns. I served them with the mini spatula since I didn't cut the buns up prior to baking. If you do cut them up, then the bamboo tongs would be great and are the guest special item too!!!
I know the original recipe calls for the rolls to be coated in the flavouring, but I found this way much more straight forward and not as messy. Easy, easy, easy! :D

Since I received the saucepan at Leadership I've been trying the burnt rice demo. I do 1c rice and 1c water on low for 1.5 hrs. I CAN'T GET THE RICE TO BURN!!! Sometimes it all turns an off white color all over but I've done this half a dozen times now and I can't get any crusties!!

bree4bryce said:
Since I received the saucepan at Leadership I've been trying the burnt rice demo. I do 1c rice and 1c water on low for 1.5 hrs. I CAN'T GET THE RICE TO BURN!!! Sometimes it all turns an off white color all over but I've done this half a dozen times now and I can't get any crusties!!
...and your complaining :) . That in itself is a great selling point.

I only use 1/2 cup of rice - maybe that makes a difference...

The only time I got it to stick together in a clump was when I left it for almost 2 hours! Like the last person said - it is a great selling point that it is practically impossible to burn anything in the pot!

Val

I too am new, but there is a YouTube video about the burnt rice demo, but for those of us who are new, and only have the 8" saute pan, she burns a piece of brachs carmel over med heat for about 3mins and has a guest peel it off. Here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLXyawi8Pi8&feature=player_embedded

definately going to try this for March cookware month.

FYI, this is a thread from 2006... I love this site because it's been around so long it has a wealth of information, but you do have to check posting dates to make sure it's a current thread.

lol - but it's good to have some threads pop back up again. I remember seeing this years ago, but never tried it until last week! I too, couldn't get my rice to burn - how funny! :)

lt1jane said:
FYI, this is a thread from 2006... I love this site because it's been around so long it has a wealth of information, but you do have to check posting dates to make sure it's a current thread.

I just noticed it was from 2006 too...something about the months mention in the 1st post gave me cause for pause. Such a great idea though! LOVE LOVE LOVE this site!! Thanks to all who impart their knowledge to us newbies :D

1. How can hosting a professional cookware demo boost my business?

Hosting a professional cookware demo can boost your business by providing a hands-on experience for potential customers to try out high-quality cookware and see the benefits for themselves. It also allows you to showcase your cooking skills and knowledge of the products, which can build trust and credibility with potential customers. Additionally, hosting demos can generate sales and leads for your business and help you expand your customer base.

2. What types of products are typically featured in a professional cookware demo?

A professional cookware demo may feature a variety of products such as high-quality pots and pans, kitchen tools and gadgets, and specialty cookware items like bakeware or cookware sets. The specific products featured may vary depending on the brand or company hosting the demo.

3. Do I need to have cooking experience to host a professional cookware demo?

No, you do not need to have professional cooking experience to host a professional cookware demo. However, having some basic cooking skills and knowledge of the products being featured can help you provide a more informative and engaging demo for your guests.

4. How can I promote my professional cookware demo to attract more attendees?

To attract more attendees to your professional cookware demo, you can promote it through various channels such as social media, email marketing, word of mouth, and partnering with other businesses or organizations. You can also offer incentives or special deals for those who attend the demo, such as discounts on products or a free gift with purchase.

5. Can I host a professional cookware demo in my own home or do I need a specific location?

You can host a professional cookware demo in your own home or at a specific location, depending on your preference and the size of your audience. Hosting in your own home can provide a more intimate and personal setting, while a specific location may allow for a larger audience and better demonstration setup. It ultimately depends on what works best for you and your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scrappergirl7
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • bridgetbakes
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • esavvymom