• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Autumn Risotto With Chicken & Cranberries

In summary, this recipe has a number of things going for it that SHOULD make it a favorite, but it's just missing something. The addition of garlic and cream cheese may be the "umph" the recipe needs to make it a favorite.
Jennie50
I WANT to love this recipe, and it has a number of things going for it that SHOULD make me love it. I like chicken, I like rice, I like cranberries, and I love microwave recipes in the DCB. Why don't I love it? It's just missing somethin'...but I can't seem to put my finger on it. It's kinda bland, so I've tried to add more salt and pepper. Still don't love it. Anyone else do anything to add more flavor?

I love this recipe! :) I'm not sure what your tastebuds are looking for. ;) Maybe add some garlic to the onions during that first step? More cream cheese?

Can you please post the recipe this sounds awesome

Humble Beginnings said:
Can you please post the recipe this sounds awesome
It is in the current seasons best....right in the middle.As far as the original question, we love it. Now, I dont use the boxed chicken broth. I think they are way to expensive for the amount I get. For the same price almost, I buy "Better Than Boullion" base....you find it next to the bouillon cube products. It is a paste, chicken, beef, or veggie. I think I get a better flavor, plus, if I want more, I just add a bit more paste to give it more flavor to the broth. Using this, my risotto comes out with a very rich chicken flavor, along with the cream cheese, which I do add double the amount.

We love this recipe! I think it has great flavor. It does already have onions in it, you cannot forget the celery and cranberries either. Those make the dish.

esavvymom said:
It is in the current seasons best....right in the middle.

As far as the original question, we love it. Now, I dont use the boxed chicken broth. I think they are way to expensive for the amount I get. For the same price almost, I buy "Better Than Boullion" base....you find it next to the bouillon cube products. It is a paste, chicken, beef, or veggie. I think I get a better flavor, plus, if I want more, I just add a bit more paste to give it more flavor to the broth. Using this, my risotto comes out with a very rich chicken flavor, along with the cream cheese, which I do add double the amount.

Great tip, Bobbi! I'm going to look for that base TODAY! Is it as rich as a stock, or more similar to broth?

I think the addition of the garlic is a good suggestion too...maybe that's the "umph" the recipe needs. As I said, I WANT to love it, and I ALMOST do... ☺

I thought it was a little bland when I tried it too. I was going to try to add some Kosher salt and pepper when I make it...

Jennie50 said:
Great tip, Bobbi! I'm going to look for that base TODAY! Is it as rich as a stock, or more similar to broth?

I think the addition of the garlic is a good suggestion too...maybe that's the "umph" the recipe needs. As I said, I WANT to love it, and I ALMOST do... ☺

I would put it closer to stock. Broth to me (especially boxed) are just too watered down or bland. This way, I can get more servings per jar, and I can up the taste as needed. Do what the recipe calls for to make the amount you need for your recipe, but then taste it later and if you want a bit more, add a smidge more. It usually doesn't need it though IMHO. I love the stuff. And I know I always have the broth bases on hand, without having to have lots of boxes, etc.

(It's in a small jar- about the size of the jars the bouillon cubes come in- usually a DARK jar...and the brand is "Better than Bouillon". In my stores, it's usually on the very top shelf, in the area you'd find the boxed broths, or bouillon cubes.)

I agree with the jar comments. I buy mine at Penzeys spices

For the record I am with Bobbi. Why buy stock and pay to ship WATER all over the country? I have plenty of water in my tap and it's cheap! (certainly a lot cheaper than what it costs to ship water all over the country!!!) Think about that when you buy chickn stock, bottled water, liquid soap, anything you can buy in a dry form instead of buying liquid...

When it comes to soup base, I recommend checking the ingredients. A FLAVORED base has salt as the first ingredient. A regular base will have the main ingredient as the first ingredient (beef, chicken, turkey, pork, etc...)

lt1jane-albums-monthy-special-jpegs-picture1814-btb.jpg

Last edited:
Try the orange-infused canola oil instead of the regular oil.

lt1jane said:
For the record I am with Bobbi. Why buy stock and pay to ship WATER all over the country? I have plenty of water in my tap and it's cheap! (certainly a lot cheaper than what it costs to ship water all over the country!!!) Think about that when you buy chickn stock, bottled water, liquid soap, anything you can buy in a dry form instead of buying liquid...

When it comes to soup base, I recommend checking the ingredients. A FLAVORED base has salt as the first ingredient. A regular base will have the main ingredient as the first ingredient (beef, chicken, turkey, pork, etc...)

lt1jane-albums-monthy-special-jpegs-picture1814-btb.jpg

I agree to a point. I am allergic to corn and there are very few bases out there that don't include a corn product. It is not fun. I think one of the ones you picture is okay (beef or chicken) but the other is not. It makes my life more interesting.

The Pampered Chef ® Autumn Risotto with Chicken & Cranberries Recipe
1 cup (250 mL) sweetened dried cranberries
2 cups (500 mL) hot water
1 medium onion
1 cup (250 mL) uncooked Arborio rice (see Cook’s Tip)
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
2 3/4 cups (675 mL) chicken stock
3/4 cup (175 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 cup (125 mL) blanched slivered almonds
2 stalks celery
2 oz (60 g) cream cheese
2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked chicken or turkey breasts
1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)

1.Combine cranberries and hot water in Small Batter Bowl; set aside. Coarsely chop onion using Food Chopper. Combine onion, rice and oil in Deep Covered Baker; stir using Small Mix ‘N Scraper®. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 2–4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add stock, wine, salt and black pepper; microwave, covered, on HIGH 13 minutes or until rice is still slightly firm, stirring once halfway through.

2.Meanwhile, toast almonds in (8-in./20-cm) Sauté Pan over medium heat 5–7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Slice celery using Veggie Slicer. Cut cream cheese into cubes using Utility Knife. Drain cranberries using (7-in./18-cm) Strainer; set aside. Carefully remove baker from microwave using Silicone Oven Mitts. Add chicken and celery to baker; stir. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3–5 minutes or until rice is tender and risotto appears creamy.

3.Carefully remove baker from microwave. Add cream cheese and almonds; stir until cheese is fully incorporated. Fold in cranberries. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

The other thing to do (especially for someone with allergies) - is when you make one of those 30-minute chickens....save the carcass! Boil the thing for awhile in enough water to cover it. You can doctor it up more, I usually just boil it. I then divvy up the broth into 1-cup freezer containers I have (freezer jam containers), and freeze them. It's about the same as the boxed stuff...but works well. you will the KNOW what is in it.

I made this recipe a while back and tweaked it for both a "meatless monday" dish (except I did use chicken broth) and also with some lighter choices to make it more Weight Watchers friendly. The recipe as written is 11 ppv per serving, and with the following changes it comes down to 8 ppv per serving. Just throwing it out there for anyone that may be interested. You can also let the vegetarians you come across know the TVP works well in this.1 cup(s) Ocean Spray Craisins Craisins® original flavor
1 cup(s) uncooked arborio rice, uncooked
3/4 cup(s) white wine
1/2 cup(s) slivered almonds
2 cup(s) hot water
2 1/2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
2 rib(s) (large) uncooked celery
4 wedge(s) The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Original Flavor
1 medium uncooked vidalia onion(s)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup(s) dry textured vegetable protein I added the TVP to the cranberries in the hot water then proceed as directed in original recipe.

thanks for the tips. I have been wanting to try this and now have no excuses!

One other thing I thought of - if you don't like cooking with wine you can always just add more chicken broth.

aksusan said:
2/3 cup(s) dry textured vegetable protein

mmmm dry textured vegatable protein...sounds just DELICIOUS! :p

sorry.. lol I couldn't help myself..:angel:

DeannaK1022 said:
mmmm dry textured vegatable protein...sounds just DELICIOUS! :p

sorry.. lol I couldn't help myself..:angel:

Hee, hee! It doesn't sound very appetizing, does it? What is intended to do for the dish (did you add it for the flavor, to give more "body", etc?)? What other uses does TVP have? Never tried it, but you've made me curious!

And, we have a winner!! I made again tonight, and I finally LOVE it! I did add the garlic with the onions and also chose to throw the celery in at the beginning. I don't mind the flavor of celery, but the crunchy texture bothered me in contrast to the soft rice when it was added late. I used lemon olive oil, added a bit more salt and pepper, and doubled the cream cheese to 4oz.

One of my hosts this week wanted comfort food, and I think this will fit the bill, though I wonder if the demo will run a bit long for a show recipe?

Jennie50 said:
Hee, hee! It doesn't sound very appetizing, does it? What is intended to do for the dish (did you add it for the flavor, to give more "body", etc?)? What other uses does TVP have? Never tried it, but you've made me curious!

it's a soy product. intended to be a meat/protein replacement. I made this as a meatless monday dinner, although I did use chicken broth, so it wasn't really meat free.

You can mix tvp into chili, spaghetti, burritos, sloppy joes... instead of meat. It's an inexpensive protein. You can also add it to dishes that have meat to stretch the "meat." If you use it in something with a sauce, like in chili, no one can tell the difference.

You can find it in the bulk bins or in a package from Bob's Red Mill.

Made this at my show Saturday Night-- Cooked the chicken first in the Baker then left the juices in it and put in the rice, celery, onions, garlic, and oil. The host husband wouldn't stop eating it. He thought it was awesome. I did leave out the almonds. We took a vote and only one of the guest wanted it in there. It was great with out it. Will do it again for a show!

I'm doing this for a show next weekend...I'm not real familiar w/ cranberries...do they HAVE to be kind you have to soak or can I buy them dried in a bag, in the dried fruit section?

chefsteph07 said:
I'm doing this for a show next weekend...I'm not real familiar w/ cranberries...do they HAVE to be kind you have to soak or can I buy them dried in a bag, in the dried fruit section?

I use Craisins and they turn out great, but you need to do what the recipe suggests. One time I didn't and another time I soaked them in water the opposite temp they said (I was winging it w/o the recipe once at my mom's), and both times they turned the risotto pink. The times I followed the recipe tips, it was perfect. :)

How did you do it w/ the Craisins? It just says to fold them in at the end of the recipe, but the only instructions are with the kind you have to soak in hot water.

chefsteph07 said:

You actually take the dried ones and rehydrate them by soaking them.

chefsteph07 said:
How did you do it w/ the Craisins? It just says to fold them in at the end of the recipe, but the only instructions are with the kind you have to soak in hot water.
wadesgirl said:
You actually take the dried ones and rehydrate them by soaking them.
Right. :)The Craisins are dehydrated, sweetened cranberries, so by putting them in the water like the recipe tip says, it will rehydrate them and also make it so the color doesn't spread and make everything pink.

babywings76 said:
Right. :)

The Craisins are dehydrated, sweetened cranberries, so by putting them in the water like the recipe tip says, it will rehydrate them and also make it so the color doesn't spread and make everything pink.

Interesting. I guess it IS true that you learn something new every day :) Thanks!

Can you make this on the stovetop?

1. What ingredients are needed for Autumn Risotto With Chicken & Cranberries?

The ingredients needed for this recipe are chicken breast, rice, chicken broth, dried cranberries, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs (such as thyme or rosemary).

2. Can I use a different type of protein instead of chicken?

Yes, you can substitute chicken with other proteins such as turkey, pork, or tofu. However, the cooking time may vary depending on the protein used.

3. Why doesn't the risotto have enough flavor?

This could be due to not using enough seasoning or not cooking the risotto long enough. You can try adding more salt, pepper, or herbs to enhance the flavor. Also, make sure to cook the risotto until it reaches a creamy consistency.

4. Can I make this recipe without a microwave?

Yes, you can make this recipe on the stovetop. Simply follow the same steps, but instead of cooking in the microwave, cook on medium heat until the risotto is fully cooked and creamy.

5. Are there any other ingredients I can add to make the risotto more flavorful?

Yes, you can add other ingredients such as chopped bacon, mushrooms, or parmesan cheese to enhance the flavor of the risotto. You can also try using different types of broth or adding a splash of white wine for more depth of flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
bcowdin
  • JackieB999