• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Au Gratin or Scalloped Potatoes

In summary, au gratin potatoes and scalloped potatoes have slight differences in their toppings and baking dishes, but both can be made with any type of potato. They can also be prepared ahead of time and customized with additional ingredients. To prevent dryness, cover the dish while baking and add extra sauce or broth if needed.
babywings76
Gold Member
:chef: Which do you like best, what's the difference, will you share your recipe? :D

do a search behind CC. There is a great AuGratin recipe that I made for Easter. it was really good.

The difference is that Au Gratin has cheese, Scalloped are in a white sauce. The one I make depends on what else is on the menu. If there's something with a heavy sauce or any cheese, I stick to the scalloped. If everything is plain, you can go for the cheese.

DebbieJ said:
do a search behind CC. There is a great AuGratin recipe that I made for Easter. it was really good.

How funny! I'm making this for Christmas Eve when my parents come over. Yum!

are red potatoes okay for Au gratin?

I would only use red potatoes if I didn't have anything else. They're a waxier potato, so the texture will be different. Good old russets are best for scalloped or au gratin potatoes.

I'm with Rae on that. The waxier potatoes (redskins, small rounds, fingerlings) are better to eat steamed and whole. A basic baking potato or Russet works best for au gratin.

That's what I was afraid of... maybe I can convince my husband to stop at the store and pick some up for me on his way home from work this afternoon. I don't want to drag my 4 kids out in this weather today. I'm turning into my mom... sending out the husband for extra trips to the store when something was forgotten or overlooked. I need to look through everything more carefully and make sure that's not the only thing I need! (Boy I need to go back to Flylady's way and be better prepared.) :)

What is the difference between au gratin and scalloped potatoes?

Au gratin potatoes are typically made with a cheese or breadcrumb topping, while scalloped potatoes are typically made with a creamy sauce. Additionally, au gratin potatoes are usually baked in a shallow dish, while scalloped potatoes are often baked in a deeper dish.

Can I use any type of potato for au gratin or scalloped potatoes?

Both types of potatoes work well for these dishes, but russet potatoes are often recommended for their starchy texture and ability to hold their shape when cooked.

Can I make au gratin or scalloped potatoes ahead of time?

Yes, both dishes can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated before baking. However, the potatoes may absorb more of the sauce and become softer if left in the refrigerator for too long before baking.

Can I add other ingredients to my au gratin or scalloped potatoes?

Absolutely! Both dishes can be customized with additional ingredients such as bacon, onions, herbs, or different types of cheese. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature accordingly.

How do I prevent my au gratin or scalloped potatoes from getting too dry?

To prevent dryness, be sure to cover the dish with foil while baking and remove the foil for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking to allow the top to brown. You can also add a little extra sauce or broth before baking to keep the potatoes moist.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PamperedK
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
catlwilles
  • smilesarepriceless
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies