• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Attn: Computer Savvy Moms and Dads

In summary, the conversation is about a parent looking for ways to protect their children from accessing inappropriate content online. They discuss various options such as using Internet Explorer's content advisor, purchasing software like Browse Control or SpectorSoft, and setting up parental controls on social media sites. The parent expresses frustration with their stepdaughter's actions on MySpace and concerns about her mother not monitoring her online activity.
Countrykitchenmichelle
I am looking to add one of those updates so it protects kids from not surfing where they shouldn't be, reduce inappropriate sites from being accessed and can it prevent them from googling inappropriate content.

Any experience or advice would be helpful?

I've had some kids using my computer recently and would like to add some safeguards. Free or cheap ones...

Countrykitchenmichelle said:
I am looking to add one of those updates so it protects kids from not surfing where they shouldn't be, reduce inappropriate sites from being accessed and can it prevent them from googling inappropriate content.

Any experience or advice would be helpful?

I've had some kids using my computer recently and would like to add some safeguards. Free or cheap ones...

If you use Internet Explorer, you can use the content advisor on there. Free, but not the most effective - they can use another browser and get around it if they are really smart.

Browse Control has been one that has worked pretty well but they require a minimum purchase of 15 licenses at $12.95 each so unless you got together with a group.

SpectorSoft makes some great stuff but it is usually to allow you to view what they are doing vs. blocking it.

...just a start...I know those aren't exactly what you are looking for...

I have a friend who had a list of sites that his son visited emailed to him each day through a program he had. He made his son aware of this. Son did test it but only once. He learned fast.

We chose not to look into it. My dh is very computer savvy and can see where any of us visit if he wanted to but we talk about such things with our sons and feel comfortable that they follow our rules. Now don't get me wrong. We are not dumb. We know kids try to push the limits and we do keep our eyes open.

I clean their rooms at random and we randomly look over their shoulder at the computer. They know that we would know - eventually.

janetupnorth said:
If you use Internet Explorer, you can use the content advisor on there. Free, but not the most effective - they can use another browser and get around it if they are really smart.

Browse Control has been one that has worked pretty well but they require a minimum purchase of 15 licenses at $12.95 each so unless you got together with a group.

SpectorSoft makes some great stuff but it is usually to allow you to view what they are doing vs. blocking it.

...just a start...I know those aren't exactly what you are looking for...

Janet~

My stepDD is on MySpace (who isn't?!) and she was emailing and posting on the comments pages some very inappropriate things. Would this allow me to see ALL that she is typing? Including if she changes her password?

Also- once she is smart enough to just go onto someone else's MySpace page and post comments as a way of talking back and forth...the way we have things set up now I would have NO IDEA unless I actually saw her doing that. Hope that makes sense! She could go to "Lydia's" page via the internet and post a comment to Lydia. Lydia could then post back on her comments page. That way, my DD would not even need to acually log onto her account to "have a conversation"

Only major problem is this: now she is back in FL with her Mom who doesn't monitor A THING. She has changed her password so I can't log into her account and look at her emails anymore. Mom will NOT work with us to keep us in the loop. Ugh.

Sorry I am rambling...just gets me Soooooo upset when I think of all of the things she is getting into these days. :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

KellyTheChef said:
Janet~

My stepDD is on MySpace (who isn't?!) and she was emailing and posting on the comments pages some very inappropriate things. Would this allow me to see ALL that she is typing? Including if she changes her password?

Also- once she is smart enough to just go onto someone else's MySpace page and post comments as a way of talking back and forth...the way we have things set up now I would have NO IDEA unless I actually saw her doing that. Hope that makes sense! She could go to "Lydia's" page via the internet and post a comment to Lydia. Lydia could then post back on her comments page. That way, my DD would not even need to acually log onto her account to "have a conversation"

Only major problem is this: now she is back in FL with her Mom who doesn't monitor A THING. She has changed her password so I can't log into her account and look at her emails anymore. Mom will NOT work with us to keep us in the loop. Ugh.

Sorry I am rambling...just gets me Soooooo upset when I think of all of the things she is getting into these days. :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

Yes, Spector Soft can be installed in a "stealth mode" and you can view EVERYTHING done on a PC. I'll PM you a link to what I've used before. I actually know someone who bought it and installed it on her PC to catch her hubby having an affair...but that's a whole different story... !!!!

janetupnorth said:
Yes, Spector Soft can be installed in a "stealth mode" and you can view EVERYTHING done on a PC. I'll PM you a link to what I've used before. I actually know someone who bought it and installed it on her PC to catch her hubby having an affair...but that's a whole different story... !!!!
Yikes!

Not sure if my hubby will go for this...for some reason he is sooooo against "knowing everything"...I think for him if he doesn't know about it, he won't worry about it. Dumb. I know.

KellyTheChef said:
Yikes!

Not sure if my hubby will go for this...for some reason he is sooooo against "knowing everything"...I think for him if he doesn't know about it, he won't worry about it. Dumb. I know.

You can install it how you guys choose and choose to search what you want. You have to choose what level to go to. Personally I keep my kids off the internet now, but try to educate them on right and wrong. We'll have to evaluate the "next step" as the time comes.

DS thinks he's on the internet when he plays with DH's desk calculator....or at least he pretends he is. I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible!

KellyTheChef, as for myspace, I would suggest making your own page and having her add you as a friend. I monitor my step son's activity to some extent this way.
You can view their comments received and you may see the comments they leave for their friends if their friends' pages aren't marked as private.

Beyond that, there's not much I can suggest.

I can see where the kids on my computer have gone, I'm trying to put in some safeguards to prevent them from getting to certain areas. We are
definitely communicating with them.

My neighbor told me about a program that will report every key typed. She felt that was a little too much. She later told me about a program that monitors when certain personal information is given out and will e-mail you. I think it mainly monitors Instant Messenge programs but for some reason think it may do more. It will tell you the few lines before and after the information is given so you can tell the context it is given.

As far as locking down Internet sites to keep them from accidentally or on purpose find sites they don't need to be at, I am pretty sure you can do that specifically on your computer set up for Windows. I had to change the access when my babysitter downloaded viruses on my computer. I locked him out of logging in under my name and there was very limited access under my son's login. Previously I had no worry and had no passwords.

Not sure if this helps and can fill in more later. I am tired and am going to bed.

1. How can I improve my computer skills as a busy mom/dad?

At Pampered Chef, we understand that being a parent can leave little time for anything else. That's why we offer a variety of resources, including online tutorials and workshops, to help you improve your computer skills at your own pace.

2. Can I work for Pampered Chef remotely as a computer savvy parent?

Absolutely! At Pampered Chef, we offer flexible work options, including remote positions, for computer savvy moms and dads. This allows you to balance your work and family life while still utilizing your skills.

3. Do I need any special equipment or software to work for Pampered Chef?

All you need is a reliable computer and internet connection. We provide all necessary software and tools for you to effectively work from home.

4. How can I learn more about the technology used at Pampered Chef?

We provide comprehensive training on all the technology we use, so you can feel confident and comfortable using it. We also have a support team available to assist you with any questions or issues you may have.

5. Is there room for growth and advancement in the technology department at Pampered Chef?

Yes, there are opportunities for growth and advancement within our technology department. We value and invest in our employees' development and offer various training and advancement opportunities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • PamperedDor