• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Attention Cake Decorators - I Need a Chocolate Cake Recipe

In summary, Sandy provides a recipe for a chocolate buttermilk cake, and recommends using a cake release. She also provides a recipe for vanilla cream cheese frosting.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I need a chocolate cake recipe that is suitable for a molded cake pan. I'm using the Sports Ball Pan and making a Ladybug cake for my neighbor's daughter this weekend and I want a really good tasting cake recipe. Whatchya got?

btw - this is the pattern I'm using (except no bottom cake)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/ladybug-cake-06.jpg

I did Annie! I'm thinking about one of them. Problem I'm having is that many of the moister-type chocolate cakes call for lining the pans with parchment - I can't do that with the sports ball pan and I'm afraid that if I don't the cake will stick to it. Have you made any of those recipes in a molded pan?

I haven't done them in a molded pan, but you actually CAN line a ball ban with parchment. I have a book that decribes how... (I've never actually done it!). I'll try and see if I can find somewhere that describes it.

Other wise, I would just spray the heck out of the pan with a spray with flour, and then lay some thin strips of parchement over it, without trying to cover the whole thing, but hoping that at least SOME parchment will help it to turn out...

ANyone else used a ball pan?

I haven't used a ball pan, but I've used that Wilton's cake release stuff, and it works wonders! You can get it at Wal-Mart, Michael's, Jo-Ann's and such in the cake decorating aisle. Just squirt it on and brush it all over the pan.

This is what it looks like:

Cake Release - Wilton

This is the recipe I went with - and it is GOOD!!!!

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake

Serves: 16

Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 30 min

Ingredients

• 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
• 1 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
• 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
• Salt
• 1 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
• 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
• 1 3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup(s) (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
• 3 large eggs
• Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
3. In large bowl, with mixer on low speed, beat sugar and butter until blended. Increase speed to high; beat 3 minutes or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture, scraping bowl occasionally.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks to cool completely. Carefully remove and discard waxed paper.
6. Prepare Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
7. Assemble cake: Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on cake plate. With narrow metal spatula, spread 2/3 cup frosting over layer. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Spread remaining frosting over side and top of cake.

Thanks for the recipe Linda. Would you mind posting the recipe for the vanilla cream cheese frosting? It sounds so good.
Thanks,
Sandy

jetcitysandy said:
Thanks for the recipe Linda. Would you mind posting the recipe for the vanilla cream cheese frosting? It sounds so good.
Thanks,
Sandy

I didn't copy that one and I don't remember which website I got the recipe from. You coulod probably google the recipe title and find it though.

Okay Thanks Linda. I will google the recipe. I plan on making the cake soon. It sounds really good.

Sandy

So how did the cake turn out?

I hope it turned out great- yes- Wilton's cake release is a great item to use. Also just putting a bit veg oil or spray works

I am a professional cake decorator and instructor...you can make you own pan release. It's equal amounts of shortening, flour and oil. Mix very well on with an electric mixer and store it in the fridge and everytime you need it, just use a pastry brush to grease your pan. It's the best and nothing EVER sticks. Even on character cakes (which you need all those details). I've never used parchment paper to line my pans. I know it is too late for the original post, but maybe it will help some one else down the line.

I've got a trick that my mom taught me, instead of flouring a pan when making a chocolate cake, put your shortening to grease and sprinkle with cocoa powder instead of flour. Works great and doesn't have the white look.

I love to bake and I've got to figure out a Fall themed cake for dd's 9th bd, we're doing caramel apples, so she said I could make an apple cake, any ideas??

Lisa

I have used parchmnent paper when I made a 3-d cruiser mold. I coated the pan first, then put in the parchment paper, pushing in the creases, it worked wonderfully!! Came out of the mold like butter.

1. What type of chocolate should I use for the cake?

We recommend using high-quality semi-sweet chocolate for the best flavor. You can also use dark or milk chocolate depending on your preference.

2. Can I substitute any ingredients in the recipe?

While we always recommend following the recipe for the best results, you can substitute ingredients such as using gluten-free flour or alternative milk for a dairy-free option.

3. How do I make the cake moist and fluffy?

To achieve a moist and fluffy cake, make sure to accurately measure all ingredients and follow the recipe instructions carefully. Also, be sure not to overmix the batter, as this can result in a dense and dry cake.

4. Can I make this cake in advance?

Yes, you can bake the cake in advance and store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. You can also freeze the cake for up to three months and thaw it before decorating.

5. What type of frosting pairs well with this chocolate cake?

The recipe includes a delicious chocolate buttercream frosting, but you can also use cream cheese frosting or a classic vanilla buttercream. It's all about personal preference and what complements your cake decorations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LakesideMom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
luvinpc
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
legacypc46