• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

atShows - Use Laptop or Write Orders

I agree, I like the paper and calculator much better. I get more info from the guest when they use the order form and I have started to take 2 calculators with me so they can add up themselves and then I just double check..... maybe if I had a smaller laptop but then not always sure about the battery power.I prefer to handwrite orders--am I the only one? As I read somewhere before, carrying a laptop is an extra load, and if potential consultants can't afford one, may think they couldn't be a consultant because of that. I had a few calculation problems when I first started, but am very confident in my calculator totals now.I do the same and for all the same
lalemom
Gold Member
What do you prefer - Handwriting out Orders or taking a laptop to your shows and entering the order there?
:confused:

Last edited:
Laptop all the way. I made too many mistakes before started carrying it.I do have the guest write it out and I just put her name and items in and fill out the rest of her info when I get home.

I do the same as Beth. It's super handy to have it total the order for you. When there's a lot going on the last thing I want to do is worry about my math. Plus then you have a total for the host right away and can let her know how far away she is from the next level without much effort on your part at all.

And you know right away if the guest put the wrong price down.

ChefNelson said:
I do the same as Beth. It's super handy to have it total the order for you. When there's a lot going on the last thing I want to do is worry about my math. Plus then you have a total for the host right away and can let her know how far away she is from the next level without much effort on your part at all.

I do the same and for all the same reasons.

Thanks. Majority rules - Laptop it is for me.

Exactly what Beth said plus I like to be able to look up things like replacement parts, past orders, etc

And don't forget, P3 will automatically calculate a past host discount. If the past host isn't from your show (and therefore not in your P3) you can look up the past host number if needed.

I prefer hand writing orders--am I the only one? As I read somewhere before, carrying a laptop is an extra load, and if potential consultants can't afford one, may think they couldn't be a consultant because of that. I had a few calculation problems when I first started, but am very confident in my calculator totals now.

I'm also one who uses the laptop and then enter all data on the order form at the end, to confirm my math (or the guests) :)

I handwrite. I took my laptop a couple of times and for me it was just an extra step. I didn't feel that I was as connected with the customer becuase I was inputting their info. And, surprisingly, I've had very few mistakes just using a calculator. And nothing that has ever caused a problem with my customers.

Calculator for me! I'm much quicker on it at a show and find I can talk with the guests more. I took the laptop a few times, It was something extra for me to carry and I didn't interact with the guests as much at checkout.

I agree, I like the paper and calculator much better. I get more info from the guest when they use the order form and I have started to take 2 calculators with me so they can add up themselves and then I just double check..... maybe if I had a smaller laptop but then not always sure about the battery power.

I would be happy with the handwritten/calculator method, except I am SO forgetful that I would miss the fact that someone orders a Pantry item and it is taxed differently! So I use the laptop. It will catch those things for me. I don't enter all of the customer contact info- just their name, items, and payment. I double check all orders at home and enter the remaining information then.

esavvymom said:
I would be happy with the handwritten/calculator method, except I am SO forgetful that I would miss the fact that someone orders a Pantry item and it is taxed differently!

So I use the laptop. It will catch those things for me. I don't enter all of the customer contact info- just their name, items, and payment. I double check all orders at home and enter the remaining information then.

I don't worry about the different tax! 99.9% of my guests put their pantry items in the regular section of the order form. I just tax it all the same and put the extra pennies into RUFTH when I enter it into P3. If they paid by CC, I adjust their total at that time.

Too often I have had customers write down the wrong price and there's no way I will always remember the current price of all the items and there's no time to look everything up. It's okay if they use plastic but otherwise it's too much trouble to get the additional money or pay them back. That and I have always been calculator challenged when I'm feeling rushed.

I also use the laptop as a recruiting tool. "I paid for it with my PC income ad PC gives us the program that figures all the order for free." - of course I also say that they are not required to have or carry a laptop, that a calculator works too.

I take my MacBook with me now (bought with my commission $ :D) and I like it because I remember to ask people about booking, getting their e-mail address, asking when the best time to call them is. For me, when I just calculated it on the paper, I focused hard on making sure I was adding it right, that sometimes I missed the pantry products, or I forgot to calculate their PHD#, etc, and I'd then feel like I took so much time I don't want to keep them longer asking them about hosting and other things. So while taking my MacBook is a little added weight, for me it's working better. I also like that I can leave the host's house knowing all the orders are entered in and I don't have to do too much later & I can tell the host her total so far.

I used to take my laptop..in fact, that was the MAIN reason I got it...but I found that it was time consuming putting the orders in and then I really felt I was shortchanging the guests...I like being able to total up on the calculator, and I can talk to the guests at the same time. I do miss not having the EXACT totals of everything and the show total before I leave though. But, I don't miss anything else about it..oh and I also didn't like carrying another things around. But that is just me, I know alot of consultants take their computers and love it!

I guess maybe I'm quick on the computer because it takes no time at all to enter the orders in. I don't take time to put their personal information in until I'm at home.

wadesgirl said:
I guess maybe I'm quick on the computer because it takes no time at all to enter the orders in. I don't take time to put their personal information in until I'm at home.

I agree. I feel it takes more time to add it all up on the calculator than to put in their name and item numbers. Everything is done for us and if they didn't note the item number it's really quick to find the items on P3.

That's what makes the world fun - everyone is different and we are all free to do things the way they work best for each of us.

And who knows...this whole discussion might be moot in just a couple weeks--if we end up getting an app or something that drastically changes the way we may want to do our check-outs. ;) If it's an app, then I plan on getting an iPad2 and then that will be much easier to bring with me! :D

babywings76 said:
And who knows...this whole discussion might be moot in just a couple weeks--if we end up getting an app or something that drastically changes the way we may want to do our check-outs. ;) If it's an app, then I plan on getting an iPad2 and then that will be much easier to bring with me! :D

I'll have to wait a little while to get an iPad but that will be the game plan if that's what they announce. I'll just set myself a sales goal like I did for my laptop and get it then.

wadesgirl said:
I'll have to wait a little while to get an iPad but that will be the game plan if that's what they announce. I'll just set myself a sales goal like I did for my laptop and get it then.

Ditto! I have saved most of my Nov. commission for something like this. I have wanted a smart phone or a tablet but when I read the Dec teaser I decided to wait to find out the "what/why". I will decide according to what they tell us.

wadesgirl said:

I agree! While I don't take my laptop now because it is large and heavy (I have the number pad and an extended life battery) if I had something smaller I would take it!

Also, like Linda if I accidentally tax someone's pantry items I just donate the extra to RUFTH.

1. Can I use my laptop to take orders at shows?

Yes, you can use your laptop to take orders at shows. This can be a more efficient and organized way to keep track of orders and customer information.

2. Do I need internet access to use my laptop at shows?

No, you do not need internet access to use your laptop at shows. The Pampered Chef software can be accessed offline and orders can be saved and synced once internet access is available.

3. Will using a laptop at shows be faster than writing orders by hand?

Yes, using a laptop at shows can be faster than writing orders by hand. With the ability to quickly add items and calculate totals, using a laptop can save time and reduce errors.

4. How do I set up my laptop to take orders at shows?

To set up your laptop for taking orders at shows, you will need to install the Pampered Chef software and create an account. Then, you can add products, set prices, and customize your order form to fit your needs.

5. Can I still write orders by hand if I prefer?

Yes, you can still write orders by hand if you prefer. While using a laptop can offer some advantages, you can still take orders using traditional paper order forms if that is your preferred method.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• luvmypomeranian
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
angel7581
  • California Girl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ashvel
  • turtle15