• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Help! Potty Training Struggles with 3-Year-Old

In summary, Lisa's 3 year old daughter has not gone to the bathroom on her own for a week and she is struggling with how to deal with the situation.
Jennie4PC
I am coming here to see if anyone has any advise they can give me. My DD who is 3 has been going to the potty faithfuly #1 since May and #2 since the beginign of Aug. As of last week she has not gone at all in the potty. I refuse to go back to pull ups, I just dont know what to do. I was thinking it was cause her older siblings started school, which may totally be it but I dont think I can do it anymore.

First take a deep breathe and it will get better.

It probably is from drastic change in schedule, I know my youngest did go backwards a little, not as long as this, but change screws up their little systems.

What I did, after pulling my hair out, was go back to timer method and I started, when she got up, on potty, we ate breakfast and back on potty. Then for every half hour to hour we were back on potty, even if she said she didn't have to go.

I almost got to point of making her naked so she's be more aware of it, but thankfully the timer thing worked with Margo.

I also got the book everyone poops when oldest would do #1 in potty but did #2 in her pants. I was at dentist and talking about this and she recommended this book, it's as old as sin, but it worked!!

Good luck and I'll say a few potty prayers for you and your little one.

HTH,

Lisa

Not sure if she's peeing and pooping in her underwear or just peeing ... if it's just urine and she seems super upset to be led to the toilet then you might want to have her checked for a urinary tract infection. If it hurts to pee, she may be associating the toilet with the pain and trying to "hold it" as long as she can.If it's both peeing & pooping in her underwear, then I agree it's probably related to the schedule change and her big sister being gone during the day. ;)

it's the one thing left that she can control.....

Is there some big thing she could earn? Something that gives her special attention?

Stickers on the calendar over the the toilet, yogurt raisins and cool/pretty big kids underpants ~ worked for all three of mine!!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. DH and I decided to go back to the m&m's. I am hoping this is just a control thing. She can be pretty stubborn.

1. How do I know if my 3-year-old is ready for potty training?

Every child is different, but there are some signs that can indicate your 3-year-old is ready for potty training. These include showing interest in the bathroom, being able to follow simple instructions, and having longer periods of dryness during the day. It's important to remember that potty training is a developmental milestone and each child will reach it at their own pace.

2. My 3-year-old is afraid to use the potty. What should I do?

It's common for children to feel scared or anxious about using the potty. To help ease their fears, try making it a fun and positive experience. You can use stickers or a reward chart to celebrate each successful potty trip. It's also helpful to have them practice sitting on the potty fully clothed to get used to the feeling.

3. How do I handle accidents during potty training?

Accidents are a normal part of the potty training process. It's important to stay calm and not make a big deal out of it. Simply clean up the mess and remind your child to use the potty next time. It's also helpful to have them wear pull-ups or training pants during this stage to make clean-up easier.

4. My 3-year-old is doing well with peeing, but struggles with bowel movements. What can I do?

Bowel movements can be more difficult for children to control during potty training. One way to help is to make sure your child is eating enough fiber-rich foods and drinking plenty of water. You can also try having them sit on the potty at the same time each day to establish a routine.

5. How long does potty training usually take for a 3-year-old?

Again, every child is different and there is no set timeline for potty training. Some children may pick it up quickly, while others may take longer. It's important to be patient and not rush the process. It's also normal for there to be setbacks or regressions during potty training, so don't get discouraged if your child has a few accidents after making progress.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• merego
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
merego
  • princessmeshelle
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PChefPEI
  • ahammons