• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Asian Pot Sticker Disaster

R
RachelNguyen
Hey all,

Thank goodness I actually tried the pot sticker recipe before doing it at my Dim Sum party next week. The were HORRIBLE.

The tops got way too dark. The texture of the wonton wrapper was gluey on the bottom and too crunchy and burned on the top. The filling was ok... but the wonton wrappers were just icky.

I baked them on the pizza stone for 12 minutes and when they were clearly underdone on the bottom, finished them for another few minutes. But the wrapper was just not good.

What am I missing here? Have you guys found a way to make these edible?

Thanks!

Rachel

Try a couple of things, maybe:

1. Warm up the stone before cooking
2. Put the potstickers in the middle rack of the oven so they aren't too close to the top
3. Don't oversaturate the wrappers with liquid when putting them together
4. If No. 2 doesn't work well, try putting an aluminum foil "tent" over the top so they don't burn.

Did you spritz the potstickers with oil/non-stick cooking spray before baking them? This can make a big difference.

Actually, I bought the kitchen spritzer specifically to be able to do this recipe. :(

I just am having a hard time imagining the wontons being anything other than gluey.

I am going to try and talk my host into the Shrimp coconut cakes. Has anyone tried them? How do they turn out?

Love+
Rachel

You could also try this method .... use one of the larger skillets and try doing a steam/pan fry option. They turn into "real" potstickers that way!

My husband makes pork potstickers by the dozens. Depending on the size of the skillet, he cooks about 1.5 dozen at a time. Before he puts them in, he heats up a little bit of oil. After browning are on one side, he flips them over briefly and then ads a little water for "steaming." Then the skillet is covered for a few minutes until they are cooked through.

The result is a very tasty potsticker, that has a little bit of crunch and is also soft to chew. (This method works best when forming the pot-stickers in a half-moon shape. If they are folded up like an envelope they need to be totally fried.)

Shrimp Coconut CakesI've made them a couple of times. I'm not crazy about this recipe. At most it makes 8 cakes so my hosts always have to double the recipe. Even though most of the ingredients are packaged in a way that makes this easy to do I have having to tell them that. They look so darned disappointed. However, they are quite tasty. Be sure to closely watch the coconut when you have it toasting in the microwave because it can burn easily.

Personally, I love the wontons. I've made them many, many times and had a result like yours once. I think it was because I was letting the guests roll their own and they put on too much water.

Pot StickersI did this recipe at my shows for 2 months and they were fabulous. Never gluey or sticky! Yes, if you leave them in too long they get way brown on the top, I just found that the envelope fold was the best one to do to prevent this. My customers and guests loved them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also be very careful to FULLY drain the water chestnuts and the canned chicken and beat the egg white really well.

One time when I didn't drain the chicken well, they turned out runny and gooey on the bottom.

Just made them on Friday and they turned out great.

Pot StickersI make this recipe all the time - in my toaster oven and have never had a problem. They come out crunchy all the way around. I think you really need to take care when brushing on the water. Less in more in this case.

My family loves this recipe. I make it for all family get togethers now, along with the elegant artichoke cups and the new family favorite - Warm Hazelnut Chocolate cake. PC needs to stop come up with such fantastic recipes - or I need to stop using my family as ginnea pigs - or I will be make the entire meal every holiday soon! :eek:

Yes - glue bad, won tons goodBy putting too much water to glue the edges together, you end up making a gluey mess - the flour, egg and water that make up the noodle dough, can't get the water "gone" in the short cooking time, so you end up with a soggy gross mess. Use a brush or even dab a paper towel in water, then gently brush-on a SMALL area or spot on your wonton to adhere it to the other wonton surface.

I agree it's not too authentic a recipe, but it has been a hit each time I've made it.

1. Why did my pot stickers turn out burnt and undercooked?

It is possible that the heat was too high and/or the cooking time was too long for your pot stickers. It is also important to make sure the pot stickers are evenly spaced on the pizza stone to ensure even cooking.

2. What is the best method for cooking pot stickers?

The most commonly recommended method is to pan-fry the pot stickers in a non-stick pan with a small amount of oil, then add water and cover to steam until they are fully cooked. This helps to achieve a crispy bottom and tender filling.

3. Can pot stickers be made ahead of time?

Yes, pot stickers can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to cook. If freezing, be sure to place them in a single layer on a baking sheet first to prevent sticking together, then transfer to a freezer-safe bag or container.

4. How do I prevent the wonton wrappers from becoming gluey?

To prevent the wrappers from becoming gluey, be sure to cook them at a high enough temperature and avoid overcrowding the pan. You can also try lightly brushing the wrappers with oil before cooking to create a barrier between the filling and the wrapper.

5. Can I bake pot stickers instead of pan-frying them?

While it is possible to bake pot stickers, it is not the most common or recommended method. Baking them on a pizza stone may result in uneven cooking and a less desirable texture. It is best to stick with the traditional pan-frying method for best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • pamperedalf
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • momoffour
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies