• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I be buying all the food as a courtesy to my hosts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of buying food for hostesses as a courtesy and the pros and cons of this practice. Some people choose to send postcards for their hosts instead, while others prefer to provide ingredients for a recipe. The range of spending for this can vary greatly, from $60 to only $9-$13. There are different opinions on which approach is better, but ultimately it is important to find a balance between wowing the hostess and not breaking the bank. Sending invitations and making follow-up calls are also seen as effective ways to increase show attendance. It is also suggested to be mindful of the serving sizes when providing recipes, as guests usually only expect a taste. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of finding
jenniferp417
For yesterday's show (my first), I bought all the food as a courtesy. I ended up spending almost $60 - we doubled both recipes I prepared.There were 16 buying guests, so I don't think the $60 was out of line, but... I wonder if I should be doing this?I know some other people send the postcards for their hosts. I didn't do that, and I wonder if that's something I *should* be doing.What are the pros and cons of doing one or both of these courtesies for the hosts? I know it's all a write off which is great!

Maybe spending $60 is justifiable for a special thank you for your FIRST Hostess, however, I don't think I would make this a habit. If you want to help out the Hostess by providing ingredients for one recipe, I would make it an inexpensive one. If she wants more food at her show I would suggest she purchase the ingredients and either she can make it or you both can make it together before the guests arrive. Spending $60 for every show will take a big bite out of your paycheck! I have provided ingredients for show but I have never spend more than around $20. The molten chocolate lava cake is very inexpensive to make, delicious and really WOWS them!!

That's a good point, Karen.I want to really *wow* my hostesses, but not break the bank!

I think $60 is WAY too much to be shelling out.
I mail the postcards which runs me $9-$13 and that, IMO, is more than enough. Our company gives them an extra $15 in free product to offset the cost of the groceries...

The only time I buy the groceries is if I raffle off a "free" show. I send out the invites myself and I always give a little thankyou gift.

I do the same as Kristin. I've never bought the groceries; that's what the extra FPV is for.
I do mail out the invites; I could ask them to pay for postage, but I don't for taxes. The pros to doing this are: I know when the invites are being sent out, I know how many are being invited (if there's a small guest list I ask for more), I add my website on them so they can order if they can't come.....this has increased my show average in attendance & sales...which increases my comission--so I don't mind paying postage!

lacychef said:
I do the same as Kristin. I've never bought the groceries; that's what the extra FPV is for.
I do mail out the invites; I could ask them to pay for postage, but I don't for taxes. The pros to doing this are: I know when the invites are being sent out, I know how many are being invited (if there's a small guest list I ask for more), I add my website on them so they can order if they can't come.....this has increased my show average in attendance & sales...which increases my comission--so I don't mind paying postage!
Exactly--I don't like not being in control as far as when the invites go out. I feel that you would have a better turnout if you sent the invites yourself. I don't like assuming that they went out on time.

I agree with sending out the invitations. You know how many people are being invited so you can nudge the host for more names if necessary. I also send an invitation to the HOST so she knows they went out and that the show is really happening. And I save the address list in WORD so if/when she rebooks, the list is still there!

When picking between the two I would choose sending the invites. This is what is actually getting people to the shows. This way you also have a good indication if a show is going to hold, when you don' get your guest list. I also make the followup calls which has improved my show attendance. I sometimes provide an inexpensive second recipe or give away a free show where I provide the ingredients. When I provide ingredients I always pick which recipe so that it is fairly inexpensive.

Remember when making recipes that people really only expect a taste of something so I don't use the regular serving suggestions. You can figure double to triple the regular serving size on most items. I don't want a hostess spending too much on their show either because then that negates the value of having a show.

Sixteen buying guests is great! I'm glad that it paid off for you this time. Getting that first show under your belt is such a big relief and having a good one is even better ;).

OMG!!
Which recipe did you choose???
Teresa

I did two of the vegetable artichoke pizzas and two of the chocolate walnut things, both from Season's Best.I also ended up having to go to my SMALL town grocery store for the last few things, and of course they were more expensive.If I provide food again, I'll do like Michele said and do SMALL portions of everything... but I think I'll stop doing that. I promised it to my next couple of hostesses, so I'll just view it as a "start up" gift to my hosts... but then I'm done.

OH NO...HECK NO. If I had to spend that, I may quit doing this. HAHA. See Carolyn, what you are doing to me. I mean if it is a guaranteed 2000.00 show, but man that is wayyyy to much.

1 only do 1 recipe and double it if she has 15 or more confirmed. When I get started if we have 15 people on time we do 2 I don't start the 2nd one for the "ones who are on their way" I've learned ove r the years they usaully are no-shows!!
I have sent he invites for probably the last 6 years but they ahve to ahve 40 names or the write and pay for invites. i have 7 KS shows now for FEB.& 2 catalog what the heck was I thinking??? That is way too many for our lifestyle!!

jenniferp417 said:
I did two of the vegetable artichoke pizzas and two of the chocolate walnut things, both from Season's Best.

I also ended up having to go to my SMALL town grocery store for the last few things, and of course they were more expensive.

If I provide food again, I'll do like Michele said and do SMALL portions of everything... but I think I'll stop doing that. I promised it to my next couple of hostesses, so I'll just view it as a "start up" gift to my hosts... but then I'm done.

I think that's WAY too much food for a crowd of 16. We are not there to CATER parties - we are there to SHOW tools and SELL tools. I do not double recipes - ever. Most of my shows are between 12 and 20 people. I do ONE recipe and one micro-cake...and lately I have cut back to ONE recipe...period unless she is guaranteeing 15+...then I'll do the micro cake. She is only supposed to be spending $15 or so on groceries...4 recipes?!?! Insane!!

If she is going to have a big crowd I tell her to get some chips and dip or a veggie or fruit tray. Then each guests gets a SAMPLING, a tiny taste of the recipe...it's not about the recipe - it's about the products used to make the recipe.

I'll say it again --

WE ARE NOT CATERERS!!!!

I always stick to one recipe. If your concerned about not showing off enough of the tools, set up an interactive area and let the guest play. Bring some potatoes, carrots, and some other veggies.

THANK YOU all very much for your advice on this.I just wanted to be sure I was doing right by my hostesses... and since yesterday's show was my sister-in-law, I'm glad I did it... but YES, I will do things differently in the future!And chefkristen, I like your idea of the "play area!"

Another point is that you want it to look easy for potential hosts and recruits. If they think that it is extravagant and they could never pull it off, afford it, have the time to do it, etc, you lose those potentials. I always let my hosts know that I will demo one recipe and that they might want to have some veggies and chips and dips available, too. That way people get a taste of the recipe and they want to be able to do it at home - so they buy the products!

I did the garlic bites for the first time on Friday. Everyone loved them! And the Grands biscuits are on sale right now at Kroger...10 for 10 dollars! I bought 3 and made sure the dates were good for a few weeks so that I have them for my feb shows. I think I'm going to pick up a couple more tonight when I go to the store. It's really inexpensive and everyone commented about how good the house smelled when they walked in.

IngredientsI usually buy my own ingredients (I know what works for me) and then the hostess will reimburse me the $ 15.00. I also save the receipt, I try to do a recipe that's under $15.00 as well. I don't have a problem with this as I show them where they are getting the money back in FPV.

Hope that helps:

Congrats and Good luck;

Liz

I do the molten chocolate lava cake and I will provide the cake mix and frosting, the hostess provides eggs, oil and water. I only spend about $3-$4 dollars. I buy cake mix and frosting on sale, so it's really no big deal. I have sold alot of rice cookers with this recipe. About 5 minutes to prepare and 8 minutes at the most to cook. Quick, Cheap and yummy!

I do have the hostess provide ingredients for the main demo recipe. I would never spend $60 on food.

The molten chocolate lava cake sounds great... I've tried looking here for a recipe but I'm not finding it... anyone have a link to it?

When I offer free desert, a lot of times it is a micro cake or proffitio puffs because I can make those ahead!! You can get cakes @ wally world for like 89 cents I think.

I do not buy ingredients or mail the invites. I have bought ingredients if I was running a dessert special or something. The way I look at is, they know whe they book a show what they have to do, I tell them up front. So, far it is working great for me.

I do buy most of the ingredients for my shows but when I do they are also the cheaper recipes. My show next week I am making the Touchdown Taco Dip before the show and then demoing the Cinnamon Bites at the show. I am having the host provide the chips for the dip and the frosting and butter for the demo.

Whoa! $60 is way too much!

I always make one recipe and I never double it. I am not there to be a caterer. I am there to show everyone how to use our tools and offer them a TASTE of what our recipes are like.

I buy groceries for my hosts, but use it as an incentive. Sales of $700 or more are free food, otherwise they reimburse me.

I buy the ingedients for my shows. I have never had to double one yet (although I am hopeful it will happen at one of my February shows). I never ask the host to reimburse me though. I have never interpreted the $15 FPV as coverage for the ingredients, PC states it is a thank you for opening up their home and hosting a party. I don't feel right asking them for that back. Besides, it is a tax write-off for supplies. You can even claim the groceries you buy to practice with and you don't ask anyone to reimburse you for those do you?

too much food. Make it about the PRODUCTS not the food. You can do an awesome demo with just a $.40 potato - Ultimate Mandolin, Food Chopper. Doing just the chocolate walnut recipe from season's best would have been fine for 12 people. You are not there to feed them - but to teach them to feed themselves, or to give them a job demo-ing food for others!!

Good luck; God Bless You!

Here's the recipe for the Molten Chocolate lava cake.

Just a work of warning... when you turn it out make sure you use something with sides on it. The lava really oozes. Yummo!!:p

Attachments

• Molten Chocolate Lava CakeOne box of chocolate cake mixingredient.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 821
I do provide the ingredients when they give me a guest list of 48 names, addresses and phone numbers postmarked 3 weeks before the date of the show. This is a hoop not many people jump through but I'm more than willing to do so when they've worked that hard!

Also, for some recipes I buy the food but I have them reimburse me. This happens when I want to be sure to have just the right ingredients and/or I want to do major prep at home.

Keep that $15 in mind. That's the high end of what it should cost to prepare a recipe at your show.

What is "as a Courtesy to My Hosts..."?

As a Courtesy to My Hosts is a program offered by Pampered Chef to show appreciation for our hosts who open up their homes and invite friends and family to learn about our products.

How does "as a Courtesy to My Hosts..." work?

When a host agrees to host a Pampered Chef party, they will receive a special discount on their order based on the total sales from their party. The more sales, the higher the discount!

Who is eligible for "as a Courtesy to My Hosts..."?

Any host who hosts a Pampered Chef party is eligible for the As a Courtesy to My Hosts program. This includes both in-person and virtual parties.

What kind of discounts can hosts receive through "as a Courtesy to My Hosts..."?

The discounts through this program can range from 10% to 30% off, depending on the total sales from the party. Hosts can also earn free products based on the amount of sales and bookings from their party.

How long does the "as a Courtesy to My Hosts..." discount last?

The discount earned through this program is valid for 60 days from the date of the party. Hosts can use their discount on any Pampered Chef products during this timeframe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• littlemaisyPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
littlemaisyPC
  • KimberleePowell
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • JennsRAQ