• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover the Artisan Bread Show Experience | Share Your Reviews Now!

In summary, the conversation is about making artisan bread in the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker. Some people have tried it and it is simple and yields a high profit. The instructions involve letting the dough rise, preheating the baker, and baking the bread. There is some concern about voiding the warranty by preheating the baker according to the instructions. Some suggest serving the bread with spices and sauces.
So I made this for the first time tonight - it barely goes halfway up the DCB after rising 12 hours, then punch/form with silicone baking mat floured well, then rise in 'proofing' oven for 2 hours. Is this right?

The 1/4 tspn of yeast just baffles me - guess I'll cook it off and taste and see.

Amanda's recipe posted above says 1 1/2 tsp yeast. 1/4 tsp doesn't seem right. I make bread quite a bit, and it's usually alot more than just 1/4 tsp....so that's likely the problem. It will probably taste ok- just rich/heavy.

The 1/4 tsp. yeast is for when you are letting it proof for 12-18 hours. It's the same idea as a sourdough bread, but this, because it doesn't use a sourdough starter, would actually be called a fermented bread. True sourdough bread doesn't use any yeast at all - the yeast is naturally occurring from the starter sitting.The idea is that it only takes a little yeast to start the process. Then, as the bread sits, it "catches" wild yeast in the air, and that continues the process of rising and proofing the bread. This is actually a healthier and more traditional way of bread baking. It would be how generations past made bread when there was no such thing as commercial yeast starters. Which is why it's called "Artisan" bread. I don't think that the ones that use a shorter rise time and more yeast are the same thing. You're still baking bread, but it isn't Artisan bread like the original recipe.As an added note to this also, as the bread sits and proofs overnight or for an extended period of time, it breaks down the phytic acids in the bread, and makes it more digestible. Those who are gluten intolerant or gluten sensitive (NOT those who are diagnosed Celiac - that's a different problem) can very often tolerate sourdough or fermented breads. I've tried this bread with my son, and when it's proofed for the 18 hour time, he can eat it without any of the ill effects he has when he's eaten quickly processed yeast breads, or bread that hasn't been soaked or fermented. I still don't let him eat a lot of it, but I'm excited that I'll be able to make him cinnamon rolls from this recipe for Christmas Morning!

Very interesting! I didn't realize that Becky. :)

I used one of the earlier recipes
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tspn salt.I baked it, it rose to about half in the DCB - used the parchment paper, didn't preheat the stone. Awesome texture, crusty. I'm giving half the loaf to a friend who just had a baby along with some beef stroganoff I made - I wrapped her half of the loaf in the parchment; looks awesome!

I used to make this all of the time. I add a little beer to give it more flavor. I also found using parchment very useful. It makes the transfer easier. Everyone loved this at shows:

Simple No Knead Bread

4 1/2 C. all purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp rapid rise yeast
2 1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 C. lukewarm water OR 1 can of cheap beer and the rest water

In 4 qt Stainless Mixing Bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add water and mix with Master Scraper until flour is incorporated. Dough will be quite loose. Cover bowl with lid and let rise for 2-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 30 minutes before baking bread, place Deep Covered Baker and Lid in preheated oven.

Remove Deep Covered Baker from oven, sprinkle bottom with 2 Tbsp of flour, the gently pour dough into baker using a scraper. Be careful not to handle the dough too much to maintain its airiness. Use Kitchen Shears to make 3 or 4 cuts across top of the loaf. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid and continue to bake for 2-3 more minutes until top is golden. Remove bread and cool on Stackable Cooling Rack.

I take the dough already made to the show. When I get to the host’s I preheat oven and bake the bread as the guest are arriving.

I googled other Artisan Bread recipes and some of them call for 1/2 tsp yeast (the long version). I changed my recipe to that and I actually like the bread better.

I've done the 4-hour version a couple of times, I like the long version better. 4-hour version is fine if you didn't plan ahead though :)

So how about some add ins you have used?
I did 3 sprigs stripped fresh rosemary with 3/4 cup sliced, drained and patted dry black olives and sprinkled our Himalayan sea salt on top - SO good!
What has worked for you?My wife was thinking this might make a great bagel.

I really enjoy the rosemerry and olives in this bread too. I also make the bread with caraway and flax seed .... that's pretty good too. For a sweet twist I add raisins and dried cranberries with just a "hint" of cinnamon. There's so much you can do, it's just your imagination that limits - ha!

scottcooks said:
So how about some add ins you have used?
I did 3 sprigs stripped fresh rosemary with 3/4 cup sliced, drained and patted dry black olives and sprinkled our Himalayan sea salt on top - SO good!
What has worked for you?

My wife was thinking this might make a great bagel.

Haven't used it as a bagel (which also sounds like a great idea!), but I did add a Tbls. of honey, and some Italian seasoning, and made it into pizza dough. That was fantastic!:)

And I make it into cinnamon bread for my Sat. Brunch Shows. When I turn it out after the first rise, I spread it out on the pastry mat, and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, and then roll it up. Let it rise and bake as per directions. I make the honey cinnamon cream cheese in the MFP recipe card collection and serve it with it. YUM! :chef:

Great ideas :) Thanks for sharing. I am going to try the pizza dough. I've always made my own dough, but never thought to use this no-knead bread version for pizza. I can't wait to try it out.

pamperedlinda said:
well, it just came out of the oven.....and it stuck!!! REALLY REALLY BAD!!!
:( but, it tastes great! My baker is very well seasoned so I'm wondering if I still should have oiled it some?

Just heard back from the Test Kitchen, they said to brush olive oil in the baker next time. So....stay tuned tomorrow for my next update :)

I'm also wondering if I can let the 2nd rise happen in the baker?

I oil the baker then put the dough in and let the 2nd raise happen in the baker then put it in the oven to bake....no issues :) I make bread every other day.

cookingwithlove said:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 30 minutes before baking bread, place Deep Covered Baker and Lid in preheated oven.

Remove Deep Covered Baker from oven, sprinkle bottom with 2 Tbsp of flour, the gently pour dough into baker using a scraper.
I take the dough already made to the show. When I get to the host’s I preheat oven and bake the bread as the guest are arriving.

Wendy, the home office has said the DCB is not under warranty if it is preheated empty. The bread turns out almost as well using parchment paper in DCB and just baking the bread in a preheated oven. You can also oil the bread and bake without parchment paper if you are not using a brand new DCB.

I think I'm going to be doing this for my February shows. What would you all have to go with it?

Actually, could you add the Spinach & Smokey Red Pepper oil dipping mix to the dry ingredients? Or the Garlic & Parm. I'm now thinking, maybe Chicken Your Way with the bread but is that too much?

I'd like some ideas. Thanks!

Any appetizer, or a perfect complement to Chicken Your Way (4 breasts, 4 rubs, grill pan). Wouldn't it be amazing with a hearty soup?

I usually do Chicken Tortilla soup in January - it would be so great with that.

Anyway - trying it tonight in the 'backwards' format - bring 2 loaves, 1 in DCB, 1 in bowl. Step "C" which I'd do first, Bake in DCB 30 mins, Step "B" turn out 1 in bowl to floured silicone baking mat, knead & form in host's DCB then leave it for the host & her family, then Step "A" make a batch of dough in front of guests, take home to my family for a lunch/dinner treat.

I added 1 tablespoon garlic canola oil and 2 tablespoons Rosemary Herb seasoning to the bread - smelled so good mixing; can't wait to taste tonight!

I keep forgetting to try this! Has anyone tried with wheat flour?

Instead of 3C regular flour (I'm using the simplest recipe) I dressed it up...
2 C regular (bread) flour
in 1 cup measure, add...
1/3 cup masa harina (corn flour)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup bulgur wheat (whole wheat kernels)
sprinkle to fill the cup with steel cut oatsThen I added 2 tablespoons Rosemary Herb seasoning and
2 teaspoons garlic oil and
1/3 cup MORE water than the original recipe... the corn flour is very very dry.
------------------------------
original recipe was...
3 cups bread flour (now 2)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
1 1/2 cups tap water12 -18 hour rise, knead with flour until not wet on outside and dough is elastic, place into parchment-lined DCB . rise 2 hours, cook at 450 with lid on. Serve.------------------------------
No need to preheat the stone or the oven - you're wasting energy if you do that with this recipe. The food warms up anyway, so why not warm it in the oven along the way?

If you oil the baker before you preheat it... wouldn't that mean the DCB is no longer "naked"?

Has anyone ever tried this with varieties of flour that those with celiac disease can eat? I see Becky's note that the gluten is reduced with the long rising time and since we are not certain that is my daughter's problem so I'm going to make it this way but am curious as to if it will be possible IF she has to eliminate all gluten. Thanks! Marci

mmilus said:
Has anyone ever tried this with varieties of flour that those with celiac disease can eat? I see Becky's note that the gluten is reduced with the long rising time and since we are not certain that is my daughter's problem so I'm going to make it this way but am curious as to if it will be possible IF she has to eliminate all gluten. Thanks! Marci

I don't think there is a way to do this with GF flours. GF flours acts totally different than regular flour, and it's really hard to make a good GF bread. I don't even try anymore. :) If we want GF bread, I buy it.

this recipe is so awesome! Has anyone else tried an asiago version I am not good with experimenting and my hubby says he thinks it would be awesome

A gal made this version of the Artisan bread today for our cluster meeting. She did it in the Round Covered Baker. It as a CINNAMON version. It was delicious! There was nothing left of it when we were finished with the meeting. She also made up a honey-butter spread for it (explained below). YUMMMMM!Cinnamon Artisan Bread
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1O59VBFNYLw/TzcnNSlnC6I/AAAAAAAAAAM/H0JopAcHNOk/s1600/CinnamonArtisanBread.jpeg3 cups bread flour, + extra for dusting (I use 1 cup whole wheat flour + 2 cups bread flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast granules
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (least amt of sodium)
1 1/2 cups warm tap water
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 generous tablespoon flax seed
1 generous tablespoon fiber (benefiber works great - but with the Flax Seed and whole wheat- this can be optional! :D)
1 generous tablespoon ground cinnamonIn a large 4 qt stainless steel mixing bowl or large batter bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups warm water and oil mixture, stirring until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with lid and let dough rest about 2 hours at most, at room temp.Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat (or parchment paper) using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold dough over on itself 3 or 4 times.Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand on the counter for 1 1/2 - 2 hours to rise1 1/2 hours into the 2 hour rising time, preheat oven to 425 degrees.Divide the dough in half & round one of the loaves to a size that will fit into the baker.**Using a serrated knife, cut into the dough forming diamonds. Transfer the dough into the baker, place the lid on & bake 25 minutes.Remove the baker from the oven & remove the lid. Baste melted butter over the top of the bread & sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar.Bake an additional 5 minutes.Remove bread from baker and cool on a rack.
**The person who gave me this recipe doesn't mention what she does with the other half of the dough, so I presume you can either split the recipe in HALF and bake one loaf, OR, once you removed the first loaf, place the second half of dough into the baker to bake, OR shape it in another pan? I'll try it and see what I like best and let you know.
Honey Butter

The butter is 1 & 1/2 sticks real butter, softened to room temp. Add 1/2 cup honey and whip with a mixer. Yummy-yummy.

Last edited:
Sounds delicious! The only problem is we're running into the predicament with preheating the stone, which is against the U&C instructions. :(

babywings76 said:
Sounds delicious! The only problem is we're running into the predicament with preheating the stone, which is against the U&C instructions. :(

Yes. I noticed that and asked her about it (pointing out the U & G). She said she did preheat, but that the other lady did not. I will not. I will edit the post.

That's good to hear someone had success without preheating. I wonder if it will need to cook longer? Any guesses?

There is a fabulous recipe for gluten free Artisan bread in a book called "Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a day." I think it's the recipe for the 'boule' bread- I made it for a friend who is gluten free, brought it to a dinner party- everyone who tried it loved it, including me & my husband! I gave her the leftover dough, she said it made a great pizza crust.

There is no need to preheat. The crust forms just the same - it's such a delicious recipe!

Has anyone made the long rising artisan bread and left it to rise longer then 18 hours? I have a crazy schedule this weekend and need to make it ahead but unsure how long I can let it go for
TIA!

cookinforyou said:
Has anyone made the long rising artisan bread and left it to rise longer then 18 hours? I have a crazy schedule this weekend and need to make it ahead but unsure how long I can let it go for
TIA!

As long as the 2nd rise is still no longer than 2 hours, you'll be fine. I've let mine rise for 24 hours for the first rise.

esavvymom said:
**The person who gave me this recipe doesn't mention what she does with the other half of the dough, so I presume you can either split the recipe in HALF and bake one loaf, OR, once you removed the first loaf, place the second half of dough into the baker to bake, OR shape it in another pan? I'll try it and see what I like best and let you know.[/SIZE]

QUOTE]

I wondered about just using the whole recipe in the Round Baker for a nice, round bread boule-like result? I have made the bread in the DCB a number of times, and considered increasing the recipe so that it would be puffier. Do you think the normal recipe would be too much for the Round Baker?

These are the variations listed on the info sent to me from my director. They all sound great! Not sure who to give the credit to but thought I would share for those of us "use your imagination challenged".

Variations: (Be creative and try your own!)
½ cup dried cranberries and ½ cup toasted pecans or walnuts
½ cup toasted walnuts and ½ cup white or semisweet chocolate pieces
1 ½ tsp-1 ½ Tbsp Pampered Chef’s All-Purpose Dill Mix and 1 ½ tsp-1 ½ Tbsp. dried onion
1 ½ tsp-1 ½ Tbsp Pampered Chef’s Italian Seasoning Mix and 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 ½ tsp-1 ½ Tbsp Pampered Chef’s Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix and 1 ½ tsp-1 ½ Tbsp dried or fresh chopped garlic (use less if dried)
1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg
4 oz. (2 cups) finely grated fresh parmesan cheese or Asiago cheese, 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary and ½ cup chopped green olives (pitted)

cookinforyou said:
TIA!

Yeast raises until it burns itself out....as long as it is covered it can not over raise. But if you leave it open there is air born "feral" yeast that will continue to add to the process.

evk1972 said:
Yeast raises until it burns itself out....as long as it is covered it can not over raise. But if you leave it open there is air born "feral" yeast that will continue to add to the process.

Just have to say that creeps me out just a bit. :eek:

I'm doing this at my show this weekend. The second I mentioned homemade bread my host went nuts. So we are doing bread and salad with chicken cooked in her DCB before I get there.

Finally got brave to make this bread! I took it to a 5 Appetizers in 15 Minutes show last night fresh out of the oven. The guests didnt want the bread the host provided for the Oil dipping...they kept asking where I put that bread I brought?? It was funny...they ate the whole thing and didnt care if there was anything on the bread or not! Can't wait to make it again tomorrow! I know I'll never buy another loaf of Artisan bread in the stores ever again!

This is interesting as I bake bread a lot- I have not done it in the DCB but on a stone that I always preheat- it calls for it with the recipe I use and never have I been worried about it breaking

So- is anyone still doing this for shows? Are you using the parchment paper at home? Good results at shows?
Thanks for your feedback!

You do not need to preheat the Deep Covered Baker. It comes out beautifully without preheating.:chef:

So glad to hear this! I have a long time host tomorrow and I am thinking of whipping up a loaf for her!

My director e-mailed me some info. that I thought I'd share here. It was a forwarded e-mail that originated from Senior Director, Michele Zito. She had put together these videos to show how to make the bread step by step. Her e-mail said it was okay to share, so I hope she doesn't mind that I'm posting it here:Artisan Bread Step 1:
Deep Covered Baker Artisan Bread Step 1. Michele Zito - YouTube

Artisan Bread Step 2:
Deep Covered Baker Artisan Bread Step 2. Michele Zito - YouTube

Artisan Bread Step 3:
Deep Covered Baker Artisan Bread. Step 3. Michele Zito - YouTube

Artisan Bread Step 4:

Deep Covered Baker Artisan Bread. Step 4 Final. Michele Zito - YouTube

Thanks so much!!! I can hardly wait to look at these this weekend!

DebPC said:
Thanks so much!!! I can hardly wait to look at these this weekend!

Each video is very, very short. The first one is only 5 minutes and I think that was the longest one. :D

Just completed the first step.. lets see how this comes out!!! So excited!!

Let us know- please!

So, I just put it in the oven but it definitely did not rise properly, does anyone know why? I used dry active yeast that was stored in my fridge...

jpauline88 said:
So, I just put it in the oven but it definitely did not rise properly, does anyone know why? I used dry active yeast that was stored in my fridge...

What's the expiration date? Next time, if you can, proof your yeast if you have any doubt about its quality.

oh- good point Peg.

The expiration in May of 2013... Im new to the bread baking thing.. what does it mean to proof the yeast..
Thanks for all the help!!

alrighty girls, i tried the proofing.. looks like my yeast is good in both tap and filtered water...next im off to the store to get bread floor, will keep you posted :)

Are you at a higher altitude? That affects baking as well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• alidafrizzell
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
JD Gray
  • esavvymom