• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are You Easily Distracted? - Squirrel! *Where?!*

In summary, In the movie "UP", the villain equips his dogs with devices that allow them to talk. One of the favorite scenes in the movie comes just as one of the dogs is explaining that his master has given him this collar and now he can talk. Whenever someone's attention seems to be wandering (as in "are you listening to me?"), the speaker will say "Squirrel!". These tools will work more or less effectively depending upon the ages of your children, but hopefully they'll give you a "jumping off point" to creatively trouble shoot the focus challenges you face this summer.
esavvymom
Staff member
I got this today in http://www.julieannejones.com. I thought it was very appropriate (at least for me! an adult with A.D.D.!) :angel:

This week, as we end the month, I want to talk about focus. Especially in the summer, this is a really important topic for direct sellers.

Last week, my boys and I watched the movie "UP" again (We saw it in the theater last summer and loved it). In the movie, the villain equips his dogs with devices that allow them to talk. One of our favorite scenes in the movie comes just as one of the dogs is explaining that his master has given him this collar and now he can talk. While the humans look at the three talking dogs somewhat stunned, one of the dogs yells "Squirrel" and all the rest of the dogs immediately turn their attention at once and shout, "Where?"

It's a hilarious moment that's repeated a few times in the movie and it has become sort of an inside joke in our family. Whenever someone's attention seems to be wandering (as in "are you listening to me?"), the speaker will say "Squirrel!". It's a great way to bring the listener's focus back in a humorous way (and we always crack up!)

During the summer, it's easy to let outside influences distract you. You may start the day with the best intentions, then one of your kids needs breakfast so you make it for them. Then before you can clean up, you notice that the dishwasher is full and you empty it. Then another child discovers they don't have their soccer camp shirt and you have to search for that. Before you know it, whatever work project you were working on is completely forgotten. "Squirrel!"

This scenario is probably much more familiar to you in the summer, especially if you have school-age kids. I have a few ideas that have really supported me in keeping the distractions to a minimum during the summer so I can keep my focus on work projects:

* Create a set work schedule and share it with your children. Make sure they understand when you're working and when you're available.

* Create special projects or designate special toys for your children that are only accessed during your work time. I kept the toys in a special basket out of reach and it only came out when I was working. You could designate a certain fun activity that doesn't require your supervision like a computer game or craft project and make that an "only when Mom's working" activity.

* Negotiate with your kids. Something like, "I'll make a deal with you...I'll work for 20 minutes and then I'll give you 15 minutes of play time or we'll play a game together." Then be sure you keep your end of the bargain. No cheating, Mom!

* Hire a local high school or college student to entertain your kids a few days a week.

These tools will work more or less effectively depending upon the ages of your children, but hopefully they'll give you a "jumping off point" to creatively trouble shoot the focus challenges you face this summer. The more tools you have at your disposal, the fewer squirrels you'll find yourself chasing throughout the day.

Julie has good stuff. I suggest that anyone not on her newsletter list subscribe soon.

You can usually get on some great "Ask the Expert" calls too. I heard (and recorded) Richard Fenton and Andrea Walz ("Go for No") last year on one of Julie's calls.....so had heard alot of what they said to us at national conference.

That is good advice even for those of us with no kids! I have heard "squirrel" way too many times since conference and really need to buckle down! Now if I could distract Pat long enough to leave me alone! Maybe a if I threw a T-bone into the yard and locked the doors after he chases after it!

pampered1224 said:
That is good advice even for those of us with no kids! I have heard "squirrel" way too many times since conference and really need to buckle down! Now if I could distract Pat long enough to leave me alone! Maybe a if I threw a T-bone into the yard and locked the doors after he chases after it!

ROFL....too funny!

Those are some good ide...did you know NFL camps open this weekend?

I found out that I am "A.D.O.S."Attention Deficit OooooH SHINY!!! :D

I routinely tell people that I have the attention span of a ferret.

esavvymom said:
I found out that I am "A.D.O.S."

Attention Deficit OooooH SHINY!!! :D

This is me too!!! We have a running joke between my daughter and I and her color guard last spring, its a prerequisit to be on the guard to...oooo shiny! LOL
And I have teenagers that play with toys or like to make deals! Anyone got ideas on how to distract the hubby? He's always popping his head in to see if I'm done or if he can "help" which turns into a mess for me to clean up! :yuck:

I also came home with tons of motivation, but then got distracted by life. I am really good at planning stuff .. just not so great at figuring out how to follow through with the kids around. Less than a month until school starts though. :)

raebates said:
I routinely tell people that I have the attention span of a ferret.

We used to have a ferret - he was pretty single-minded and not that easily distracted. Most ferrets have a thing for shiny - they will steal jewelry and Christmas baubles, then hide them in their own secret hiding place. Our ferret, OTOH, liked plastic. He bypassed the shiny and went for plastic, and his favorite treasure was a wax candle that was in the shape of a cactus. Once he put his mind on something, like moving his candle from one place to another, he wasn't distracted at all.

I love up! I live with two ADD people (son and husband) and we have "Squirrel" moments a lot. I'll be talking to my husband and randomly he starts a "squirrel" conversation.

KG, my BIL had ferrets. I stand by my comparison. Yes, they (and I) can be single-minded when going after something they really want. However, veering wildly from "I want this" to "I want that" is fairly common. :)

Best ferret toy I ever bought was 15' of plastic dryer vent. Squeaky would entertain himself for hours, tunneling through the dryer vent.

I have a ferret, Chip. He would much rather snooze than mind things. He finds hiding things too much effort. :)

This is an official ADD thread - the squirrel has been hijacked by ferrets.

AGH! I had my "squirrel" moment with this thread! I was going to come back too it and well, Pat interrupted me two days ago and I totally forgot about it! Eesh!
See, I am broke! I am so broke I can't pay attention! Oh and I did try the steak idea! I tried to get Pat away from me last night by offering to buy him a steak dinner! (Yes, a cheap one but...), so I could get 1/2 of a show closed so I could get the Glassware Tote. It worked! Funny though, when he got home, he had to unlock every door between the garage and me! That's 4 locks! So I did throw the steak in the back yard and locked the doors after him! I really gotta remember to have a steak fund available when I need to get some work done!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
This is an official ADD thread - the squirrel has been hijacked by ferrets.

pampered1224 said:
AGH! I had my "squirrel" moment with this thread! I was going to come back too it and well, Pat interrupted me two days ago and I totally forgot about it! Eesh!
See, I am broke! I am so broke I can't pay attention! Oh and I did try the steak idea! I tried to get Pat away from me last night by offering to buy him a steak dinner! (Yes, a cheap one but...), so I could get 1/2 of a show closed so I could get the Glassware Tote. It worked! Funny though, when he got home, he had to unlock every door between the garage and me! That's 4 locks! So I did throw the steak in the back yard and locked the doors after him! I really gotta remember to have a steak fund available when I need to get some work done!

LOL....too funny!

1. Why is it important to know if I am easily distracted?

Knowing if you are easily distracted can help you better manage your time and stay focused on tasks. It can also help you identify potential triggers and develop strategies to stay on task.

2. What are some common signs of being easily distracted?

Some common signs of being easily distracted include difficulty completing tasks, trouble staying focused, and a tendency to switch between tasks frequently.

3. Can being easily distracted be a sign of a bigger issue?

Yes, being easily distracted can be a sign of underlying issues such as ADHD or anxiety. If you are concerned, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional.

4. How can I improve my ability to stay focused?

Some strategies for improving focus include breaking tasks into smaller chunks, minimizing distractions, and setting specific goals and timelines for completing tasks.

5. Is it normal to get easily distracted from time to time?

Yes, it is normal to experience periods of distraction. However, if it becomes a constant struggle and affects your daily functioning, it may be worth exploring further and seeking help if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PCMomto4
Replies
Views
cwinter474
Replies
Views
heather223