• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Any Runners on Cs? I Have Been Running for the Past 2

In summary, if you are a runner and have been for the past two years, you are experienced and have been participating in area 5ks. You are currently training for a half marathon in November. You are looking for advice on how to reduce time.
Shawnna
Gold Member
Are there any runners on CS? I have been running for the past 2 years...only seriously and consistantly for the past 6 months. I have been participating in area 5ks. And, I have talked my husband...finally...into running with me. He has been running for about a month.

I have gradually reduced my time...PR yesterday was 30 min. 24 seconds. My husband finished in 27 min and 4 seconds. We only have 2 runs left this summer and they are both before the 4th. However, we are on week 3 of training for a half-marathon in November.

So, my question for my fellow runners is do you have any suggestions/tricks to help reduce time? I have been doing some strength training...not a lot...and trying to push a little harder for short distances. I am limited on places to run here in my small rural town. I am not a big eater and struggle to make sure I eat enough and drink enough water throughout the day, so even some diet tips would help.

If we have several runners on here perhaps we can start a runners group.

Thanks for your help.

Re: RunnersOk...I will give this another try...lol. Surely there is someone on here that is a runner.

And, if there are no runners, I could still use some encouragement and motivation for my marathon training. Quotes, scriptures, etc... would be appreciated.

I had a good 3.15 mile run this morning...it was hot today (106 with high humidity) but I was able to get out early enough it wasn't too bad.

Re: RunnersI am not a runner but I wish you the best in your persuits.

I wonder if there hasn't been a response because of the title of this thread? I think of table runners when I see it...

Re: RunnersI'm not a runner, but I work out. I'll do a 5k on the treadmill, but have to fast walk most if it. I finish in about 45 min. I would love to get to about 30 min. someday. I will always use the treadmill now. I broke my foot last fall from stress on cement and it's likely to happen again the dr. said. I switch from treadmill to cardio DVD's. I like Leslie Sansone and some of P90X. Once you get in the exercise mode it is addicting. I've had a hard time getting back into the swing of things since I broke my foot, but I'll get there. I have to lose a lot of weight before my daughter's wedding next May!!
Sorry I can't be of help with your running, but would be happy to hear your progress!

Re: RunnersI like to walk, but haven't for a couple years--I'll ask your advice about the best place to get fitted for some new sneakers--I have a few different foot issues.

Re: RunnersA running specialty store is the best place to get fitted...Runners World, Fleet Feet, etc. I personally have not been fitted but found my favorite shoes by trial and error. If you know that you have high arches or flat feet, be sure to tell the store personnell and they can help you. So far all of my shoes have come from Hibbits, but I plan on getting fitted at Runners World before the half marathon in November.

I prefer the Nike Free Fit shoes...a half size bigger than I normally wear. Also, get a good sock that doesn't move around and doesn't have a seam on the toe. I have just been buying Danskin socks at WalMart, but last week purchased 2 pair of underarmour socks at Dicks Sporting Goods. They have little bumps on the bottom and keep my foot from sliding...I grip with my toes when I run and tend to get blisters and these socks helped me a lot in my run Saturday...no blisters.

Something else I have learned is that if you have a hip out or your ankle or knee, it effects your run...and it may not be the place that is hurting that is the problem. Any bone that is out will cause you to place weight differently when you walk or run, therefore causeing pain in other areas. I have had problems for years with my hips popping out so I see a chiropractor occasionally. My husband had 2 bones out in his foot a few weeks ago and ran on it and when he finally went to the chiropractor he was in a lot of pain and is still dealing with it.

Proper shoes and socks are a must...and stay hydrated-lots of water in this heat. Don't overdo it. When I started I used an app on my phone called C25k...Couch to 5k...it starts you out gradually walking and increases running time by minutes. Its a 10 or 12 week program and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to run. There are many apps to choose from for walkers and runners as well as other activities.

Re: RunnersI have been a runner for several years, just recently had to give it up and turn to walking (my knees decided they no longer were willing participants :cry:)

The overall BEST food to eat to maintain your endurance is almonds. When you have finished running, oranges, and water. Do not drink gatorade-there is actually too much potasium in it for when you've finished running. It's fine after about an hour, but not immediately.

As for reducing your time, two things to remember:
1. focus. If you can listen to music or something calming that helps you focus on running, you can reduce your time. Then increase in spurts. Pick destinations up ahead, and purpose for longer strides. Not necessarily faster, just longer. However,
2. every body has its limit. Unless you want to have longterm damage to your hips, knees, and feet, you need to listen to your body and not over push yourself.

Re: RunnersThanks for the advice. I started a running/walking group so we can share tips, etc. I hope we get lots of participation there.

Re: RunnersOkay...I have 6 miles scheduled for tomorrow. Could use some prayers. This is my longest run so far...but there will be longer ones each week until I can run 13.1.

Don't forget to check out the runners group. Would love for that to have meal tips, strength training tips, even weight loss tips for those who want to start running to lose weight...although it takes 2 months to begin to see weight loss from just running. If you have a great workout program let us know. I hear a lot of people are doing P90x and insanity. Please share your opinions, goals, triumphs...and even things you are struggling with.

I have to be honest and say that I like running but I don't love it like a lot of my friends do...too much rain, snow, heat, etc. and I will gladly skip...lol

But if you want to start a plan to get in shape, running is not expensive, you don't need a lot of equipment and you can even do it alone. All it takes is that 1st step and your on your way to a healthy body.

Attachments

• still a mile.jpg
    still a mile.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 483
Re: RunnersI hate running, so more power to you. My body doesn't like the impact. I have flat feet, get shin splints and tend toward plantar fasciitis... and before anyone says it, yes I have been fitted for shoes. I've seen a podiatrist and I've shelled out big bucks for custom orthotics. I just don't care for running. I can do aerobics till the cows come home... but running, blech. I ran my first 5k earlier this month and it was a struggle.... I think it's just not my thing. I wish I could get that runner's high and get into the groove that everyone else talks about... races seem like so much fun for everyone else!

Re: RunnersYou sparked my interest by posting this thread. Oh, how I miss running! Joy, I totally understand where you're coming from-I am the opposite. I HATE aerobics! My gym offers zumba but there's no way you'll find me in the middle of that!

I do think that as you venture toward your goal of a half marathon, your diet will be incredibly key in order to allow your body to maintain its strength and durability. I never thought too hard about my diet, I just ran (4-5 miles a day) for my daily exercise routine and ate fairly healthy. But when you are training, it's a whole different ballgame.

Generally when you're training, you want to eat a high carb dinner the night before. During hockey season my son eats meatless spaghetti every night before a morning game along with some steamed veggies. You could make the tomato-basil spaghetti, just omit the cheese.

Re: RunnersYes...I am going to have to pay attention to my eating habits because I am really bad to not eat. I get busy and don't think about it. I might just grab a banana or something to eat really quick...or nothing at all. I have been forcing myself to eat several times a day...and I have cut out nearly all dr. pepper and drinking lots of water.

Oh, and I got my 6 miles in this morning...67 minutes 24 seconds. 4 scheduled for tomorrow, rest on Friday, 5k on Saturday.

Re: Runners
Shawnna said:
Oh, and I got my 6 miles in this morning...67 minutes 24 seconds. 4 scheduled for tomorrow, rest on Friday, 5k on Saturday.

I'm jealous:blushing:

Re: RunnersI got up late this morning but still got my 4 miles in. It was hot!

Joy, a lot of people around here walk 5ks. And a lot of them have 1 mile fun walks and even prizes for the fastest walker in the 5k. Even if you can't run you can still participate. It is a lot of fun...

Everyone please go and join the running group...its called Run/Walk the Race

Last edited:
Re: RunnersButterfield 5k this morning was good. Lost 40 seconds on my time from last Saturday, but I am not going to dwell on it. We have one 5k left...Tuesday night...until September. After Tuesday I am going to start training harder for the half in November. More strength training and more speed training.

Re: RunnersI used to run as well. But have severe rheumatoid arthritis now and can't. I ride a recumbant stationary bike instead. I miss running.....that exhaustion until you break thru the "wall" and then the exhilaration......sigh......don't get that on the bike. At least I don't.

I wish you the best!!!!

Re: RunnersLogged 8 miles this evening. It is so hot and humid we are having to wait until nearly 9 to even start. Not a fast past...13 min. miles...but we did a lot of interval training. My legs are telling me they do not like those fast sprints...lol

Re: RunnersShawnna- you really forget to eat? I'd hit like, but I'm afraid I'd be lying!!;)

Re: RunnersYes...I really do forget to eat. And when I do eat I can't eat a whole meal. I'm trying to train myself to eat more often...and eat healthier things. I have cut out nearly all pop and started drinking a lot more water. I have cut out nearly all cake, cookies, candy, etc...and that is a big deal for me. I used to eat donuts for breakfast, but they just don't interest me anymore...lol I keep string cheese and cheese chunks in the fridge for snacks instead of a candy bar. Now I don't deprive myself. If I want it I will eat it, but I just don't have the same desire to eat junk or drink lots of pop anymore.

Re: RunnersI also run 3-4 times per week. I did 5 miles on the treadmill today as it was storming out. I seem to run my best in hotter weather! I have done a couple 10k's this season and have 2 more left. I have played around with the idea of a half marathon, so I wish you luck. As for getting faster, my suggestion is to not dwell on it. The longer you run the faster you will get, it has taken me running for the last 5 years to finally notice a difference this year. My goal at the start of every race is to finish!

Re: RunnersHad a fairly good week this week. I did not get my long run in yesterday (10). It was nice and cool and I was excited about beating the heat. But, I just couldn't seem to get it together. NO energy and even felt sick at my stomach a few times. I did get 4.5 in and then walked another 1.5 with my husband...he is recovering from a knee injury. I was very disappointed with myself, but decided that I am not going to let it discourage me. I will just repeat Week 5. I have plenty of time to train. I don't have to be in a hurry. I am half-way finished with the training schedule and still have months to prepare. I CAN DO THIS!!!!

Re: RunnersHad a great run yesterday at the Porter Peach Festival. I ran my best time ever yesterday. So proud of myself...lol Planning a team run in October with a friend. Its a fundraiser for a cancer support house. We will be running the 10k. We are getting special team shirts made to raise money. I am really excited about this run.

1. Are there any runners on CS?

Yes, there are many runners who are part of the Pampered Chef community.

2. How can I connect with other runners on CS?

You can connect with other runners by joining our Facebook group or attending our annual Pampered Chef conference.

3. Is there a way to track my running progress on CS?

Unfortunately, CS does not have a feature specifically for tracking running progress. However, you can use other fitness tracking apps and share your progress with the Pampered Chef community.

4. Can I earn rewards or incentives for running on CS?

Yes, Pampered Chef has a wellness program that rewards you for participating in physical activities, such as running. You can earn points that can be redeemed for products or other incentives.

5. I have been running for the past 2 months, can I still join the running community on CS?

Absolutely! It's never too late to join the running community on CS. We welcome runners of all levels and experience. Come join us and share your journey with us!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
Replies
Views
straitfan
Replies
Views
islandgurlchef