• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Apple Slices - How to Keep Fresh

In summary, if you cut an apple Wedge in the morning and soak it in salt water for two minutes, it will stay fresh for a few hours. If you wedge the apple but not all the way through, you can "reassemble" the apple and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. The wedges are easy enough to pull apart. You can also spritz them with lemon juice or dip them in sprite to keep them from browning.
PurpleAngel
Gold Member
My sons love to take apple wedge to camp/school in there lunches. But if we just slice an apple up in the morning and bag it up, they go bad by the time they get to eat them. Is there any magical way to keep these fresh for a few hours without them getting all brown and yucky looking? I really don't want to send my apple wedger with them to school - who knows if it would come back (Lol).

Right after you cut them, soak them in salt water for about 2 minutes. They should stay fresher for a few hours this way!

If you wedge the apple but not all the way through, then pull the wedger back off the top, you can "reassemble" the apple and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. That helps them stay fresh. The wedges are easy enough to pull apart.

chefann said:
If you wedge the apple but not all the way through, then pull the wedger back off the top, you can "reassemble" the apple and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. That helps them stay fresh. The wedges are easy enough to pull apart.

I do this all the time for DH for his lunch! He loves apple wedges to dip in peanut butter.

I wrap it tight in Saran Wrap - and it stays nice and fresh for his lunch.:thumbup:

you can also spritz them with lemon juice or dip them in sprite to keep them from browning.

chefann said:

Great tip! I've never heard this one before, can't wait to try it!!

I was getting ready to say that you can dip them in Sprite or 7up (lemon-lime soda) but I like Ann's idea better :) So much easier!

As far as sending the wedger to school...in our county your son would probably be expelled under the "no tolerance" policy for bringing a weapon to school!

WOW - great ideas. We will try the slicing part of the way through for tomorrow.

GeorgiaPeach said:
I was getting ready to say that you can dip them in Sprite or 7up (lemon-lime soda) but I like Ann's idea better :) So much easier!

As far as sending the wedger to school...in our county your son would probably be expelled under the "no tolerance" policy for bringing a weapon to school!

Isn't that sad:( Crazy what the world has come to today.

I have always poured a bit of lemon juice in a bowl - and quickly dipped BOTH sides of the apple in it. I have never had any troubles and it DOES NOT taste like lemon after. Using the apple wedger and 'assembling' after works great too!:D

if you don't have lemon juice you can add salt to some water and do the same - just rinse off the apples good before using.

I've done the same thing with the wedger, except my dd likes to have the core removed and we pipe in peanut butter. You can also secure with a rubber band instead of saran wrap, in a pinch!!

4kids4me said:
I've done the same thing with the wedger, except my dd likes to have the core removed and we pipe in peanut butter. You can also secure with a rubber band instead of saran wrap, in a pinch!!

That sounds so yummy!

Dip them in Pineapple juice.

1. How do I prevent my apple slices from turning brown?

To keep your apple slices fresh and prevent them from turning brown, you can soak them in a bowl of cold water with a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for 5-10 minutes before storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

2. Can I cut my apples ahead of time and store them for later use?

Yes, you can cut your apples ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To prevent browning, make sure to follow the tip mentioned in the previous question.

3. How long do apple slices stay fresh in the refrigerator?

Apple slices can stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days if stored properly in an airtight container. However, it is best to consume them within 2-3 days for optimal freshness.

4. Can I freeze apple slices?

Yes, you can freeze apple slices. Place the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours. Once frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.

5. Can I use apple slices in cooking and baking?

Yes, apple slices can be used in cooking and baking. They are great for making pies, tarts, muffins, and other desserts. You can also use them in savory dishes like salads, casseroles, and stir-fries.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smspamperedchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
smspamperedchef
  • DebPC
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • janetupnorth