• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Apple Picking & Making Apple Butter: Tips & Recipes

In summary, the conversation is about apple picking and making apple butter. The person asking for tips and recipes mentions wanting to make apple butter but not knowing how, and asks for any recommendations for types of apples to use. The expert provides two apple butter recipes, one with honey and spices and the other with caramel and spices. The expert also suggests asking the orchard for recommendations on which type of apple to use.
chefmoseley
Gold Member
My family is going apple picking tomorrow at a local orchard. I would love to make apple butter but don't know how. Is there a special type of apple you should use? Any tips or recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Ok This is from my Stocking Up 3 Cookbook
:chef:
Apple Butter
3 cups apple cider
5 lbs apples - peeled and cored and sliced very thin (slice just before adding to cider.
honey to taste
ground cinnamon, to taste
ground allspice, to taste
ground cloves, to taste

Put cider in a big stainless steel or enamel pot and bring to a boil. Add apples slowly, careful not to splatter yourself. Allow apples and cider to come to a boil, then simmer, stirring frequently.
When apple butter has begun to thicken, the apple slices will fall apart as you stir. Simmer until the mixture turns to a thick, brown mass. Approx 4-5 hours. You can also cook down the butter in the oven or in a slow cooker. (put it in a large roasting pan and cook uncovered in a 350F oven until thick.. or cook on high in slow cooker for 10 hours, stirring occasionally and pushing the outer edges into the middle of the butter. Leave lid off. )
If you want to sweeten the butter, use honey and sweeten to taste.
Add powdered spices about 15 minutes before the butter is done.
You can also spice up your butter by adding a stick of cinnamon about 40 minutes before it is done. Or cloves..or allspice at the end of cooking.
Bring the mixture to a boil, and jar the apple butter in hot, scalded half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 headspace. Seal and process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
Store in a cool, dark, dry space. Yields 4 half-pints. :thumbup:

I hope this helps. If you want something simpler.. you can always make applesauce. But the apple butter will be soo tasty!! Good luck and how fun will that be???
As far as which kind. of apple. The book doesn't say.. so ask the orchard. They will know.

Here is my absolute favorite Apple Butter Recipe! I give it away as gifts!CARAMEL-SPICE APPLE BUTTER4 lbs Rome Apples
4 1/2 lbs Granny Smith Apples
1 Cup Water
4 Cups Sugar, divided
2 Teas. Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend
2 Tabls. Lemon JuiceWash apples; remove stem and blossom ends. Cut into pieces (apple wedger!) but do not peel. Combine apples and water in a large covered saucepot. Cook until soft, about 30 minutes. Press through a food mill. Measure 12 cups apple pulp; set aside. Heat 2 cups of sugar in a separate saucepot, stirring until sugar melts and turns a rich golden brown. Carefully combine caramelized sugar and apple pulp. Sugar will crackle and harden. Add remaining 2 cups of sugar and spices. Cook, uncovered, until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Stir in lemon juice. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece lids. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. Yield - about 6 half-pints.

What type of apples are best for apple picking and making apple butter?

The best apples for apple picking and making apple butter are typically tart and firm varieties such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn. These apples hold up well when cooked and provide a balance of sweet and tart flavors in the apple butter.

How do I know when apples are ready to be picked?

Apples are typically ready to be picked when they are fully ripe and have a deep, rich color. You can also gently twist the apple and if it easily comes off the tree, it is ready to be picked.

What equipment do I need for making apple butter?

To make apple butter, you will need a large pot or slow cooker, a food processor or blender, and jars for storing the apple butter. You may also need a canning kit if you plan on canning the apple butter for long-term storage.

How do I make apple butter in a slow cooker?

To make apple butter in a slow cooker, start by peeling and coring the apples and placing them in the slow cooker with some sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Cook on low for 10-12 hours, then use a food processor or blender to puree the mixture. Continue cooking on low for another 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally, until the apple butter is thick and dark in color.

What are some creative ways to use apple butter?

Besides spreading apple butter on toast or pancakes, there are many other ways to use it. You can swirl it into oatmeal or yogurt, use it as a glaze for meats, mix it into baked goods like muffins or bread, or even use it as a filling for hand pies or turnovers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJWarren
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefa
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • vwpamperedchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies