• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Whatever happened to Good Company coffee from TPC?

In summary, TPC used to sell coffee. It was called Good Company. I found a sealed bag of it tucked back in the recesses of a cupboard this morning. I had mixed emotions about opening it, after all, if you have a vintage bottle of wine, you have a vintage bottle of wine. If you open it, you no longer have a vintage bottle of wine and also probably have a very expensive quantity of vinegar. Well, I didn't figure this bag of coffee was going to go up in value enough to fund my retirement, so I opened it and brewed a pot of it this morning. No wonder TPC went out of the coffee business.I don't drink coffee, but does it stay good that long?
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
TPC used to sell coffee.

It was called Good Company. I found a sealed bag of it tucked back in the recesses of a cupboard this morning. I had mixed emotions about opening it, after all, if you have a vintage bottle of wine, you have a vintage bottle of wine. If you open it, you no longer have a vintage bottle of wine and also probably have a very expensive quantity of vinegar.

Well, I didn't figure this bag of coffee was going to go up in value enough to fund my retirement, so I opened it and brewed a pot of it this morning.

No wonder TPC went out of the coffee business.

I don't drink coffee, but does it stay good that long? I do remember GC from when I was a consultant the first time - that was like 7 years ago!

Dh is big coffee drinker and he disliked ours too.

The bag was vacuum sealed. But if it wasn't that good to start with, how would we know that it went bad?

I have customers who still lament the loss of Good Company Coffee. The coffee worked for me until my son turned me into a coffee snob. I'll miss the tea. I'm working on my last tin now.

Coffee, even if vacuum sealed, does not last that long. One year maximum under the best circumstances. (I used to be a coffee trainer for baristas for eight years and can pretty much tell you anything and everything about it and tea.)

I really miss the coffee and tea :(

Jinkies said:
Coffee, even if vacuum sealed, does not last that long. One year maximum under the best circumstances. (I used to be a coffee trainer for baristas for eight years and can pretty much tell you anything and everything about it and tea.)

Well, it doesn't really go bad, it just gets weak, right?

I remember a sign at a local pizza joint that bragged about serving the "World's Worst Coffee." There was another sign that said, "Don't complain about it. You may be old and weak yourself someday."

My son, a former barista, says that it can alter the taste. It's not like it goes rancid, but it doesn't have the same flavor after a while.

I always thought a barista was a lawya.
drum.gif

I had loyal coffee fans...my sister as a matter of fact, would order about 3 bags at a time, I LOVED the tea...wish they would bring it back!

I have a tiny bit in my freezer. I liked it mixed half and brewed with Starbucks French Roast

Yeah, you're right that it doesn't go bad. It just tastes crappy and the flavor is very altered. The enemies of coffee are light, air, time & extreme temperatures. I'm really spoiled now when it comes to coffee and if it doesn't taste good (even if I'm at someone's house) I won't drink it. So at conference, I'm always treating myself to the good stuff and not the free stuff.

I too have a sealed bag in the Pampered Chef closet. Guess I'll go ahead and throw it out.

pjpamchef said:
I too have a sealed bag in the Pampered Chef closet. Guess I'll go ahead and throw it out.

Hang on to it. It might appreciate in value, like that fine bottle of Mouton Cadet 1963 vinegar in the wine cellar.

What do I hear bid for a sealed bag of Good Company 2005 Coffee?

KG - My bid is the you pay me the postage to get it out of your house! I had one too tucked away and I found it about three months ago. I loved it when we had it but this was just awful! UGH! There is not a coffee drinker, snob or not, who would have liked this stuff!

Nope, mine's already opened. I'm just auctioning Pam's...um...vintage bag to the speculators.

I miss the tea too. I had bought like 6 tins of it when they were discontinuing it. I think I still have one left and the tea still tastes great!

You are right! That tea was great. I used to pull it out anytime we had company and made Iced Tea with it. It always went over well! I used to put on a pot of hot tea when we would get weekend snow storms, sit and drink hot tea and read or watch it snow. Always made me feel better especially knowing I was the one who was gonna have to shovel all that snow! When we discontinued it I did a whole catalog party with just sales of tea that totaled over $250! (I have to admit that I bought 10 tins but hey, it was great stuff!)

I should have made this a poll but frankly, I didn't think we'd get more than a dozen views along with one or two posts. You guys all surprised me!I'd say the polling data would be like a baseball score - Tea 4, Coffee 1. Maybe a well placed bug in the ear of a certain auburn-haired executive that seems to like Cheffers might bring back the tea. I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

I doubt it. We all know the two main reasons for eliminating products are poor sales or the cost. In this case I think it may have been the cost. The people who loved either one all said it was worth the money however, those that liked it were not so keen on the cost. Since coffee prices especially fluctuates SO much, my favorite whole bean coffee went up by $2 for 12 ounces this last week, that I think that became an issue. So... Oh well!

I don't follow the futures markets but does the price of tea fluctuate as much as coffee? I know that coffee is almost as volatile on the world market as oil but I can't imagine that tea is. But what do I know?

Oh KG, you walked right into this one!

Better good company than BAD COMPANY

It's easy to enjoy Bad Company, if they're your cup of tea.

I actually make my own version of the coffee, combining equal parts vanilla and hazelnut flavored coffees. It's not something I'd drink every day.Coffee's a hard product to carry in a catalog like ours, just because people have such individual tastes.

Someone told me we way over pay for tea of any kind because you can basically pick anything non-poisonous in your back yard and turn it into tea. I think it was sales in that case. I ALWAYS had to brew a pot of tea and used 50% ours and 50% black because the flavor was so over powering if left undiluted. In fact, we had company one day after I burned dinner the night before and the smell still lingered. I opened two bags and placed them in hot water in a potpourri bowl! It worked! It actually masked the smell of the burn smell!

pampered1224 said:
Someone told me we way over pay for tea of any kind because you can basically pick anything non-poisonous in your back yard and turn it into tea.

Technically, any non-tea (camellia sinensis) brewed beverage is an infusion or tisane. So herbal "teas" shouldn't be called tea at all, since they contain no tea leaves, only herbs.

Another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

pampered1224 said:
Someone told me we way over pay for tea of any kind because you can basically pick anything non-poisonous in your back yard and turn it into tea. I think it was sales in that case. I ALWAYS had to brew a pot of tea and used 50% ours and 50% black because the flavor was so over powering if left undiluted. In fact, we had company one day after I burned dinner the night before and the smell still lingered. I opened two bags and placed them in hot water in a potpourri bowl! It worked! It actually masked the smell of the burn smell!

Oh, John, I'm surprised at you. You're such a pot tea mouth!

rimshot.gif

You are very punny today, KG!

I used to sell a lot of coffee but not so much the tea. Thought it was a little backward when they discontinued the coffee and immediately brought on the coffee scoop/clip.

I thought that was funny too Ann! Timing is everything and well, apparently, they missed the boat with that product! And I will have you know I am a STILL a pot tea mouth! I love Sunday afternoons in the winter swearing at a storm. I mean "up a storm"!

DH laughs at me when I have a pot of tea under the tea cozy (a must-have!) while I'm knitting. He calls me Granny. :(

pampered1224 said:
I thought that was funny too Ann! Timing is everything and well, apparently, they missed the boat with that product! And I will have you know I am a STILL a pot tea mouth! I love Sunday afternoons in the winter swearing at a storm. I mean "up a storm"!
Sounds like another John snow job.
drum.gif
We're here all week, folks, drive safely and be sure to tip your server!

chefann said:
DH laughs at me when I have a pot of tea under the tea cozy (a must-have!) while I'm knitting. He calls me Granny. :(

He thinks it's tea. He doesn't know it's Granny's Rumatiz Medicine.

Granny-Beverly-Hillbillies.jpg

So that's why Ann always has that funny smirk on her face! I just thought it was indigestion! Especially with two days of eating pizza at NC! I tried tipping a server once. I think I hurt him!

pampered1224 said:
So that's why Ann always has that funny smirk on her face! I just thought it was indigestion! Especially with two days of eating pizza at NC! I tried tipping a server once. I think I hurt him!

Is that like cow tipping? Or did you try to trip him instead?

And Granny had laudenum to right? Or was that Gunsmoke? Man...we just call it morphine, moonshine, metamusil or something like that!

baychef said:
Is that like cow tipping? Or did you try to trip him instead?

And Granny had laudenum to right? Or was that Gunsmoke? Man...we just call it morphine, moonshine, metamusil or something like that!

Not such a good idea, actually.

http://www.straightdope.com/images/art/1990/901116.gif

(Thanks to the good folks over at The Straight Dope.)

YEP like Cow Tipping - hey I grew up on a farm so... I just pushed a little to hard! OOPS! Rheumatis medicine for rheumatism is what Granny claimed to have and I assumed that meant arthritis.

Well, rheumatism and arthritis are similar but different. Rheumatism is an autoimmune problem while arthritis is joint deterioration, at least, that's how they were always described to me. For the person suffering, though, that's like saying the difference between a gunshot and a stab wound is that the gunshot wound happened faster. Let's face it, what hurts, hurts.And you're probably right, John, Granny's rheumatiz might very well have been arthritis. STILL
rimshot.gif
I don't remember, did she brew her own in Beverly Hills or did she import it from back home?

She occasionally rigged up a still out by the cement pond.

I loved both the tea and coffee and still have a tin and bag. I will have to make it now.

Sharisse be careful of the coffee! Most of us who have had them until now have found that they have sort of gone bad. Turns yucky have so many years of sitting!

Thanks John! I will beware of that!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefRoberta
  • cat
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
cat
Replies
Views