1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Anyone know how to make donuts? Not the cake-like kind. My son just

1. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

Anyone know how to make donuts? Not the cake-like kind. My son just loves donuts--specifically long johns. I hardly ever buy donuts because they are so unhealthy (and I'll eat a whole dozen if I'm left alone with them :blushing:), but he is placing his request extremely early for what he wants to take in for his birthday treat for school. (It's next fall :rolleyes:) I figured I'd ask now while it's fresh in my mind and it'll give me time to practice recipes every now and then.

Apr 29, 2009
  2. Beth1170

Beth1170 Member

Re: Donuts

The ones we do in my family are more like "fried dough". Take refrigerator biscuits, flatten slightly with hands, use a bottle twist cap to push out a whole in the center. Place in hot oil and fry a few minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towel. Shake in bag with cinnamon sugar or drizzle a simple powder sugar glaze over the tops. It usually will satisfy the kids request for donuts, since we do not get them very often.

Apr 29, 2009
  3. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Have you ever tried biscuit donuts? I use the Pillsbury Grands. You can use them whole, cut a hole in the middle, or even cut them into quarters for donut holes.

All you have to do is fry them in 1/4 to 1/2 inch of hot oil until golden brown, turning once. They fry quickly. I place mine on a cooling rack over paper towels to drain. You can frost them, but I use a glaze of a couple of tablespoons of melted butter, a couple of cups of powdered sugar, 1/2 t vanilla, and enough hot water to make it the consistency you want.

My family loves these.

Apr 29, 2009
  4. raebates

Sounds like Beth and I make similar donuts. ;)

I used to have a donut recipe, but it took over 4 hours to make them. They have to rise twice. Plus, they didn't keep well, so you really needed to make them that morning. I immediately understood the old "Time to make the donuts" commercial for Dunkin' Donuts. Frankly, I didn't think they were worth the trouble.

Apr 29, 2009
  5. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

I wouldn't think making donuts would be worth it. I really doubt you would be able to make them any healthier. I would just find a good shop and buy them.

6. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

Make Profiteroles in a long shape instead of balls. Pipe them out of a bag with a hole cut in the corner, then bake. Fill with vanilla pudding and ice with chocolate. Ta da! Eclairs!

Apr 29, 2009
  7. raebates

Ann, you're brilliant.

Apr 29, 2009
  8. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to try them out--over time of course ;) It's hard to stick to my goal of losing weight if I bake too often. I promised myself I can only bake a treat once a week--and not be the majority eater. :D

I've never made the profiteroles before. I just got the EAD, so I'm excited to try those out. I'm still waiting on a recipe from my friend for her raspberry cream filling that she uses w/ those. But that's more for me. My son would probably just like the regular filling with chocolate drizzled on top.

Apr 29, 2009
  9. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

I'd stop by Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme...

Apr 30, 2009
  10. Jennie4PC

Jennie4PC Legacy Member

MY DH made cake donughts a couple weeks ago and it took forever. But they were good in the end and everyone loved them.

Apr 30, 2009
Have something to add?