• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Homemade Long Johns - A Donut Recipe for Kids' Birthdays

In summary, the conversation discusses various ways to make donuts, including using refrigerator biscuits, Pillsbury Grands, and profiteroles. There is also a mention of a time-consuming donut recipe and the idea to just buy donuts from a shop. The conversation also touches on the challenge of baking while trying to lose weight.
babywings76
Gold Member
Anyone know how to make donuts? Not the cake-like kind. My son just loves donuts--specifically long johns. I hardly ever buy donuts because they are so unhealthy (and I'll eat a whole dozen if I'm left alone with them :blushing:), but he is placing his request extremely early for what he wants to take in for his birthday treat for school. (It's next fall :rolleyes:) I figured I'd ask now while it's fresh in my mind and it'll give me time to practice recipes every now and then.

Re: DonutsThe ones we do in my family are more like "fried dough". Take refrigerator biscuits, flatten slightly with hands, use a bottle twist cap to push out a whole in the center. Place in hot oil and fry a few minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towel. Shake in bag with cinnamon sugar or drizzle a simple powder sugar glaze over the tops. It usually will satisfy the kids request for donuts, since we do not get them very often.

Re: DonutsHave you ever tried biscuit donuts? I use the Pillsbury Grands. You can use them whole, cut a hole in the middle, or even cut them into quarters for donut holes.All you have to do is fry them in 1/4 to 1/2 inch of hot oil until golden brown, turning once. They fry quickly. I place mine on a cooling rack over paper towels to drain. You can frost them, but I use a glaze of a couple of tablespoons of melted butter, a couple of cups of powdered sugar, 1/2 t vanilla, and enough hot water to make it the consistency you want.My family loves these.

Re: DonutsSounds like Beth and I make similar donuts. ;)I used to have a donut recipe, but it took over 4 hours to make them. They have to rise twice. Plus, they didn't keep well, so you really needed to make them that morning. I immediately understood the old "Time to make the donuts" commercial for Dunkin' Donuts. Frankly, I didn't think they were worth the trouble.

Re: DonutsI wouldn't think making donuts would be worth it. I really doubt you would be able to make them any healthier. I would just find a good shop and buy them.

Re: DonutsMake Profiteroles in a long shape instead of balls. Pipe them out of a bag with a hole cut in the corner, then bake. Fill with vanilla pudding and ice with chocolate. Ta da! Eclairs!

Re: DonutsAnn, you're brilliant.

Re: DonutsThanks for the ideas! I'll have to try them out--over time of course ;) It's hard to stick to my goal of losing weight if I bake too often. I promised myself I can only bake a treat once a week--and not be the majority eater. :DI've never made the profiteroles before. I just got the EAD, so I'm excited to try those out. I'm still waiting on a recipe from my friend for her raspberry cream filling that she uses w/ those. But that's more for me. My son would probably just like the regular filling with chocolate drizzled on top.

Re: DonutsI'd stop by Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme...

Re: DonutsMY DH made cake donughts a couple weeks ago and it took forever. But they were good in the end and everyone loved them.

1. Can I make these donuts ahead of time for my child's birthday party?

Yes, you can make the dough for the long johns ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, simply fry the donuts and add the desired toppings.

2. Can I use a different type of oil for frying the donuts?

Yes, you can use any type of vegetable or canola oil for frying the donuts. Just make sure the oil is heated to 375°F for best results.

3. Can I substitute the whole milk for a non-dairy milk?

Yes, you can use any type of non-dairy milk, such as almond or soy milk, as a substitute for whole milk in this recipe. However, the texture and taste may be slightly different.

4. Can I freeze the leftover donuts?

Yes, you can freeze the donuts for up to 3 months. Just make sure to let them cool completely before placing them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, let them thaw at room temperature and heat them up in the microwave or oven.

5. Can I use a different type of frosting for the donuts?

Yes, you can use any type of frosting or glaze for the donuts, such as chocolate or vanilla. You can also add sprinkles or other toppings to customize the donuts for different occasions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
Replies
Views
kam