• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Know Anyone Who Wants to Drive Across Country?

In summary, Sarah is trying to figure out how to bring her non-operational VW Bus from San Jose, CA to Warrenton, VA. She is looking for advice on the cheapest way to do this and for suggestions on who to contact for help.
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
I was starting an online search for this, but realized this would be a better place to start! When we moved from the SF Bay Area we left behind our much beloved, but non-operational, VW Bus, filled with belongings, fully intending to find a way to bring it to VA as soon as possible. That was 6 years ago. :cry:

My husband just called a car carrier, and, because it's inoperational, they want $2000 to transport it for us. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anyone willing to tow the Bus from San Jose, CA to the Warrenton VA area, and how much they would charge. I guess we should have thought of this a few months ago, when people were planning their trips to college!

If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated - especially as we're continuing to pay monthly storage.

Car carriers ain't cheap. (Did you call Passpost Transport or someone like that, who specializes in vintage automobiles?)I am willing to bet that the cheapest way to get that van home is for you to fly to SFO and rent a U-haul truck with a car carrier, and pull it home yourself. You should be able to make the drive in four days with three overnight stops in Utah, Iowa and Ohio. (Guessing, to be sure. Just remembering my 2003 journey east from San Francisco.) Get the car trailer. Don't get one of those dollies that holds the front wheels up but leaves the rear axle on the road - that van has been sitting far too long to suddenly start spinning those axle bearings at high speed for 3,000 miles, not to mention those dry tires that have been sitting there for so long...and are probably flat anyway.

Sarah, just for grins...I just logged on to the U-Haul website and checked out a truck and car carrier from San Francisco to Bealton.You might as well call the car carrier. ;) They know what they're doing, they have insurance, and they're cheaper.

My sister works in the moving business I can ask her what the best price she thinks this is a fair price or what the best price would be for you. I won't be able to talk to her until tomorrow.

Two of the best known antique auto carriers are Passport and Horseless Carriage.http://passport.fedex.com/ is now a part of FedEx. There's also Horseless Carriage Transport.But if you do a google search on antique auto transporters, you'll get a wide range of carriers that are out there.GOOD LUCK!PS - After the Lincoln Highway Cross Country Cruise in 2003, I was lucky enough to have Sonja, my '29 Ford, hauled from Oakland to Volo, Illinois, then I just drove home from there. Most of the cars that were on the tour were hauled home by one of the big-name haulers. Mine was pulled in a trailer behind an underpowered SUV, but it beat trying to drive all the way home.One of the cars on our tour was a VW microbus named "TOOT!TOOT!" with a spare tire mounted on the front. I was just another one of the 27 interesting cars that made the trip. We're doing it again in 2013, so get your Microbus running and come with us!

Thanks for all the tips, KG - and your offer of help, as well, Rhonda. I'll have my DH look at the sites tonight, as I have a cluster meeting and won't have time.

KG, is the ride starting from CA again in 2013? If so, we'd have to have the Bus hauled back out there! That would be ironic. Of course, there are those (my DH being one) who think the world is ending in 2012, so it may be a moot point, anyway.

contact me-

I relocated and my mover were great!
It was a corprate move...but my parents used them last yr...gave them a good deal.

My hubby is into old cars and he said if we ever found anything across country call him he;'ll hook us up.

ps- I live in culpeper co :)

go to my website and contact me-

pamperedchef.biz/nancysime

pampchefsarah said:
Thanks for all the tips, KG - and your offer of help, as well, Rhonda. I'll have my DH look at the sites tonight, as I have a cluster meeting and won't have time.

KG, is the ride starting from CA again in 2013? If so, we'd have to have the Bus hauled back out there! That would be ironic. Of course, there are those (my DH being one) who think the world is ending in 2012, so it may be a moot point, anyway.

The current talks are that there will be two groups, one is going to depart from New York and go west, the other group will depart Land's End in San Francisco and head east. The plan is for both groups to meet somewhere around Kearny, Nebraska (roughly halfway) for a party then head out again.

Personally, I prefer to go west. There is so much congestion in the east that I like to get it behind me. New Jersey is an awful state to drive through with an antique car - no offense meant to doze of youse whoose from New Joisey. Philly is an awful place to negotiate with an antique car, too, but once you're west of Philly the rest of it is a lot of fun!

I wish I could say I had a favorite place on the Lincoln Highway, but it's really tough to narrow down one favorite place. I will say that one has to experience the Loneliest Road in America to appreciate the beauty of Nevada.

loneliest_road.jpg

1. How long is the drive across country?

The length of the drive across country can vary depending on the route taken and any stops made along the way. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-7 days to drive from coast to coast.

2. What are some important things to consider before embarking on a cross country drive?

Some important things to consider before embarking on a cross country drive include the condition of your vehicle, potential weather conditions, and any necessary supplies or accommodations. It is also important to plan a route and have a backup plan in case of unexpected detours or road closures.

3. Is it better to drive alone or with a partner on a cross country trip?

This really depends on personal preference. Some people may prefer the solitude and flexibility of driving alone, while others may enjoy the company and help of a partner. It is important to communicate and plan with your travel partner beforehand to ensure a smooth and enjoyable trip.

4. What are some must-see destinations or stops along the way?

There are many amazing and unique destinations to see on a cross country drive. Some popular options include national parks, historical landmarks, and popular cities or towns. It is also worth researching any local festivals or events happening along your route.

5. How can I make the most of my cross country drive experience?

To make the most of your cross country drive, it is important to plan ahead and be open to new experiences. Take advantage of any opportunities to try local foods, visit off-the-beaten-path attractions, and meet new people. Also, don't forget to capture memories through photos or a travel journal.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• letmepamperu13
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • pampchefsarah
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • LCOLACHICO