• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Had Basic Nylon Tools Turn White?

In summary, customers' nylon tools have turned white due to residue from dishwashing detergent and/or minerals in their water. Customers can clean them with vinegar and water to prevent this from happening again.
meganmcg
Was just wondering if anyone else, or one of your customers, has had their nylon tools turn white? I have a customer that purchased these in February and she says hers have turned white, I haven't actually seen them yet.

I went to a show a couple weeks ago with a recruit and heard the same thing? She thought it was from using cheap Walmart Brand Dishwasher soap....

I have had mine for quite some time and I noticed about a month or so ago that they are turning white/grey. I use Cascade detergent. It almost looks like a film or something on them.

It happens when customers put them in the dishwasher, no matter what soap you used. I noticed they got powder (turning them white) all over just after one wash! I had to soak them in Lime Away and that got the white out because soap and water wasn't doing it. NEVER AGAIN will I put those tools in the dishwasher! I would advise your customers not to do so either.

So yeah, tell your customers to soak the tools in Lime Away added to hot water or CLR in water and that will take care of the problem. Make sure they wash that off with soap and water after. ;) Yeah, NO PUTTING THEM IN THE DISHWASHER!

Yes, it's residue from dishwashing detergent and/or minerals in your water.

Emily, you may want to try vinegar and water over those chemicals. I would be worried about the tools absorbing the chemicals.

My thought was the dishwasher. I entered a product adjustment to replace them for her - since those tools do not come with a product use and care card I didn't feel right telling her to try to clean them a certain way. So I'll just tell her to not put them in the dishwasher to prevent this from happening again.

emiscookin said:
It happens when customers put them in the dishwasher, no matter what soap you used. I noticed they got powder (turning them white) all over just after one wash! I had to soak them in Lime Away and that got the white out because soap and water wasn't doing it. NEVER AGAIN will I put those tools in the dishwasher! I would advise your customers not to do so either.
Hello, did a Google search and found this. I took your advice and used the Lime Away. It worked great, but now I’m concerned that they may not be safe to use with food now. Do you know? Thank you.

1. Why did my basic nylon tools turn white?

The white color on your basic nylon tools is most likely due to heat exposure. Nylon is a heat-sensitive material and can discolor when exposed to high temperatures, such as being left in a hot dishwasher or placed too close to a heat source.

2. Can I still use my basic nylon tools if they have turned white?

Yes, you can still use your basic nylon tools even if they have turned white. The discoloration does not affect the functionality of the tools. However, if the discoloration bothers you, you can try using a nylon-safe cleaner or soaking the tools in a mixture of white vinegar and water to restore their original color.

3. How can I prevent my basic nylon tools from turning white?

To prevent your basic nylon tools from turning white, it is best to hand wash them with warm water and mild soap. Avoid using hot water or placing them in a dishwasher. Also, make sure to store them away from heat sources such as stovetops or ovens.

4. Are there any other reasons why my basic nylon tools may turn white?

In addition to heat exposure, another possible reason for white discoloration on basic nylon tools is contact with acidic foods or ingredients. If you frequently use your tools for cooking or mixing acidic foods, it may cause the nylon material to change color.

5. Can I still return my basic nylon tools if they have turned white?

Unfortunately, we cannot accept returns or exchanges for basic nylon tools that have turned white. The discoloration is a result of normal wear and tear and not a defect in the product. However, if you believe the discoloration is due to a manufacturing defect, please contact our customer service for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • pcchefjane
  • Products and Tips
Replies